Sponsored by:

Progressive 944 Ultra Touring with heavy springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Progressive 944 Ultra Touring with heavy springs

I mentioned a while back that I sent my 944's in for a spring change (Progressive customer service is AWESOME... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post14247733) Finally got a chance to put them on today.

The original springs were (I think) 95/115 spring rate, the new ones are 115/155. People seem to think the heavy springs are like freight train springs or something.... they're really not. The difference is just as it seems... 20-40 (per side) pounds extra force for every inch of compression depending on where that inch is in the travel. I can easily hand compress the heavy springs a bit. With my original springs I had them maxed out, 6 turns I think it was, and they were just about right. Maybe a touch on the soft side as I'd get some bottoming. That's with me solo. I'm 235, and carry maybe 20 pounds of junk in the tourpak. I figured if I loaded for a trip, or if the wife decided to start riding with me I'd be in trouble, so the move to the heavier springs.

There seems to be a "rule of thumb" floating around that if under 250 light springs, over 250 heavies. problem with that is that if you take, say a 175 pound guy on a Road King, compared to a 250 pound guy on a limited, you have a weight difference of about 110 pounds. Those light shocks on the Limited would compress an extra inch just holding the bike up.

So back to the shocks.... I started with them on full lightest setting.... too light. Got bottoming to the point I only went a couple of blocks & stopped & added 2 turns. Much better, compliant ride, maybe still a bit soft.... bottoming on the back side of speed bumps at 30 mph for example. Another turn, & they seem just about right. No more bottoming on the speed bumps & they follow the dips in the road well. Still need to get some miles on & see how they respond to that hidden spine breaker you always seem to find. But at 3 turns I now have adjustment up & down. I can bounce on the bike sitting still & move the swingarm an inch or so. They sit at 12" with no load on the bike.

This is the best setup I've had on there so far & I'm very pleased. If you have the light models & aren't happy consider the heavies... they are not what they are rumored to be. Another thing I found curious is that the receipt says they put on 115/155 springs 7.85" long. I have never heard lengths mentioned here, only rates. I wonder if there are different length springs also... you can make the springs any length & still have the same rate, but different loads when compressed.

Cheers.

Oops.... meant this to be in the touring section, maybe someone can move it?

Last edited by Bikerscum; 08-01-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:36 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

I love my setup with the heavy springs. Ran the bike for the first 500 +\- miles with the springs compressed to about 90%. (In order to get the springs broke in/compressing softer) Then adjusted them for my wife and I for best comfort while riding. Can't really use the "measure" method to adjust them as the bike is too heavy (loaded or empty) to allow proper sag rate measurements.
Right now I've got them at about 30% compression (1.5 rings showing) and it's perfect.
Are there better shocks out there, maybe so but at 2-4 times the price. Are the progressive shocks the best and most comfortable shock out there, maybe not. But I've run progressive shocks on about 12 of my bikes over the course of 20 years and I've never regretted them for one second. So for me/us there are no better shocks out there for the money!!
And with a 1000 pound bike then on top of that loaded with 2 people THEN if traveling having the bike packed, $2000.00 shocks will do no better! Just my .02

Old 08-02-2015, 11:00 AM
rsp8575
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 944s as well and before I bought them I called the factory. They said the springs are re-designed and now 215 and above should have the heavy springs.

I am about 230 ride solo with no TP and have them cranked in about four turns. Cranked in farther does not seem to make them stiffer. Just keeps you from bottoming out. Gonna leave them as is for a while and see how it goes. Right now really nice.

It does make you feel how mushy the front suspension is. Probably looking at montube next.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsp8575
I have the 944s as well and before I bought them I called the factory. They said the springs are re-designed and now 215 and above should have the heavy springs.

That could be why they specified the length on mine.