Sponsored by:

2014 Ultra Classic - Skool Me

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015 | 06:29 PM
KumaRide
|
Elite HDF Member
Default 2014 Ultra Classic - Skool Me

Please share the good and bad about the 2014 Ultra Classic. Looking at buying another bike, either a 2010~12 tourer with the newer 5th gear to save money, or spend more with the newer frame on a 2014 UC. I have read about head bearings needing servicing every 25k miles which require a tear down. Anything else unusual? Unusual meaning lame, stupid, gotchas, look out, be aware.

Thank you and ride safe!

Old 07-24-2015 | 10:51 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior

Lots of advantages to the Rushmore over a 2013 or older, much better radio/speakers, more power, better ergonomics, more passenger seat room, LEDs. No real downsides, the few issues are handled under recalls/warranty. Should be some nice deals on low mileage trade ins and possibly a new 14 still on the dealers floor. I had a 2011 Limited and 2013 RK. I like my 14 Ultra.

Old 07-25-2015 | 12:05 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member

People always ask about the Rushmore advantage. You can list out all the new parts, but to me its the ride. I cant really explain it. Every year I would attend multiple demo rides and nothing ever got me to pull the trigger until we rode the 14's. I traded in my barely used Honda F6B for my 15 Ultra.

Old 07-25-2015 | 12:16 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

While I haven't put the miles on my 2015 Ultra (~4K in 3 Months) as I have on my other bikes (now and past) I am very, Very, VERY Happy with this bike. This is the first Harley I've had, and I've had more than a few, where I haven't felt the need to immediately rebuild the Engine: Displacement, Cams, Exhaust, Carburetor or Reprogram the Computer, Head Work, etc. and Replace the Suspension. I've actually put Harley's Street Cannon Slip-on Mufflers on this Ultra . . . and you know what? That's probably all it needs. I'm even OK with the Air Shocks . . .

Old 07-25-2015 | 03:18 AM
ardakota
Road Captain

I went from a 09 to the 14 ultra I have now the 09 I had to change seat and handlebars to be comfortable the 14 I have 13k miles on it now and I havent had to change bars or seat. The improvements were for the best on the rushmores. But be sure and try to get the better radio. Also the way the bags open is great. Wind buffeting when you get behind a big truck is not near as bad with the newer bike as well.

Old 07-25-2015 | 04:51 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

KumaRide -the newer bikes had six gears.

I went from a 2011 to a 2014. I did so because I first wanted the Rushmore twin cam cooled system. Add to that, I am a gadget guy and the radio system just got my attention.

What really surprised me the most is - I went from a 2004 Ultra limited to a 2011 Ultra Limited (88 with stage 1 to a 103) - that was like night and day. The 2011 had 6 speeds. The ride was much better, more powerful engine and I got over 20,000 miles on my front and back tires.

Then, I decided to go from the 2011 to the 2014. Although it is a 103, because of the water cooled system, you'll find more power. The ride and handling also changed - and the difference was again like "night and day".

I am a big guy - 6'3 tall and 275. I seem to sit a little close on the 14 - actually preferred the sit distance on the 11 - but, once on the road, and cruising, i stretch my legs out and all is good.

Regardless of what you get - just enjoy yourself and ride safely.

Old 07-25-2015 | 08:33 AM
KumaRide
|
Elite HDF Member

Thank you all for the info!

I mention the 5th gear because prior to 2010, the 6 speed 5th gear would whine on many bikes and it was upgraded/changed in 2010.

Old 07-25-2015 | 06:35 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior

Whats not to like about it? Its twice as nice as the 09-13's and 10 times better than the 08 on down. So there na na.

Old 07-26-2015 | 09:56 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master

In my opinion, it is hands down better than my 09 CVO Ultra. I like everything about it better.

I just need more time to play with the infotainment unit.

No cons from me -- it is wortht the few dollars more to get it.

Old 07-26-2015 | 07:09 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Then, I decided to go from the 2011 to the 2014. Although it is a 103, because of the water cooled system, you'll find more power.
The 2014 Ultra Classic does not have the dual cooling. It is only air cooled.

I prefer to not have the radiator system. But cycle7447 is correct that the water cooled models have a slight increase in compression and torque.

Everything about it has been a thrill to own after moving from an '86 Tour Glide to the 2014 Rushmore.

The 103 now comes stock as a High Performance due to the cam upgrade that helps the bike be a lot more aggressive than the earlier version of the 103. Most guys were adding the (same) cam upgrade before the Rushmore put it in as stock.

I found the seat height too tall for me @ 5'6". I installed the reduced reach model and I'm very pleased with it.

Another thing I added was the lowered brake lever (Softbrake) and a heel guard due to the pipes running right next to the right floorboard. In the first 10 miles I had melted boot sole rubber on the new pipes.

I also afforded the saddlebag guard rails for safety reasons and the trunk rack for touring. Both of those return it to looking more like a Classic of the past.

I put a center stand on mine and find gassing it on the stand works better for me and it takes less space in the garage than when it's leaned over on the side stand.

It has nice vents in the lowers and adjustable wings on the fairing to really help cool you off on the road. And both sides have the thigh cooling covers over the pipes. I leave the fairing vent open all the time it cuts the head buffeting real well.

The LED headlight and running lights are outstanding, and the factory stereo / communication system is the best stock system ever. There is a high learning curve on the new Infotainment Centers and if you can, get it with the version 6 with many more bells and whistles than the 4.3. The handle bar control systems are well laid out. Even the horn button is now in a good position and the new Rushmore horn is super loud.

I'll be changing to Spectrol oils and lube which I feel are better protection. And when I wear out the stock tires I'll be moving to Metzler 888's.

As with so many Harley's it has a few common noise issues. Lifters tick when hot, and primary chain rattle under certain conditions.

I get between 38 and 42 MPG.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra Classic - Skool Me