Sponsored by:

Updated Iphone to IOS 8.4 Now Radio Won't Recognize

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:48 PM
hrchdog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Updated Iphone to IOS 8.4 Now Radio Won't Recognize

Updated my iPhone 5s to new IOS 8.4 now the infotainment system won't recognize it when plug in to usb.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:17 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

I've had mine paired for a year with various O/S, now 8.4, no issues blue tooth wise, never tried it via USB.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:27 PM
bull34
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
I've had mine paired for a year with various O/S, now 8.4, no issues blue tooth wise, never tried it via USB.
Same here with bluetooth no problem

Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

I haven't tried my updated iPhone plugged into the Infotainment USB port on my '14 FLHTK yet. Based on what you've described though, I'm going to have the same problem because I've recently had a comparable experience. I suspect what we've encountered is not random but rather Apple induced.

On my BMW, for several months I've RAM-mounted my iPhone 5s on the handlebars and used it to run Waze. Because Waze requires GPS connectivity, it's a battery eater. So I installed a USB port wired directly to the battery, and plugged the white Apple USB-Lightning wire into the USB port on one end and into the phone on the other. Worked perfectly, and kept my phone charged while riding and using Waze all day long.

Just last week, the night before leaving on an extended trip, I did the new iOS 8.4 upgrade to my phone. Didn't think anything about it, and the next day mounted it to the handlebars and left on a trip. About midday I noticed my phone battery had run way down. So I checked all the connections, but could not get the phone to charge. Later the phone charged just fine when plugged into an Apple wall charger. So it wasn't a phone issue

My quick research revealed that a lot of Apple users are complaining about Apple making changes in their latest software release to prevent non-Apple wire and chargers from properly working on its phones and iPads. Reportedly, one story is Apple is trying to prevent improperly spec'd wires and chargers from damaging their iOS devices. The other story is that Apple is trying to protect its revenue and prevent 3rd party accessory manufacturers from eroding their accessory revenue stream. Apparently the neat little battery to USB port connector wire I found in the Aerostich catalog doesn't meet the new Apple spec and will not charge the phone, even with an Apple wire connecting the USB port and the phone.

Oddly, when I plug into the BMW accessory port, use a converter to switch it to a standard cigarette lighter connection, insert a cigarette lighter to USB converter, and then plug an Apple wire into that witches brew, the iPhone charges just fine.

Any which way, it is aggravating, and I haven't found a solution yet. Maybe someone with electronics knowledge can explain how Apple's devices are recognizing a non-Apple wire, and help come up with a solution. Obviously, Apple doesn't have it completely locked down, or my jury-rigged connection wouldn't work. Anybody?

Last edited by GaJayhawk; 07-18-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:17 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,578 Likes on 8,452 Posts

Originally Posted by hrchdog
Updated my iPhone 5s to new IOS 8.4 now the infotainment system won't recognize it when plug in to usb.
Read page 93 in your Boom box owner's manual.

Last edited by zoozoo; 07-18-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:23 AM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hrchdog
Are You talking about it not seeing any media when plugged into the USB ? If so, you have to have at least one song from iTunes downloaded in Apple music. I posted about this in the 1.19.1 thread yesterday. I recently deleted all my iTunes songs because I only listen to spotify and pandora. My phone would charge fine on the USB but would not recognize any media. Bluetooth worked fine for media though, downloaded one song and everything works fine now, streams pandora and spotify like it did before the apple update. Same thing happened with my truck USB port.