Sponsored by:

Rushmore speaker upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Ragz Ultra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rushmore speaker upgrades

Has anyone upgraded their fairing speakers in the pods and had a problem with the lows hitting mushy and creating reverb in the pod? If so what was the fix? I asked over in the audio forum but so far no luck.

While trying to decide what I want to put in there I did a temp solution with some Kenwood performance series 3 way speakers that are 4 ohm and mounted in the pods. The midst and highs are a lot better but the lows are terrible now with a mushy reverb on the hit. Voices can produce the same hit and occasionally seem to ensure echo as well. I haven't added an amp yet but I'm afraid that the reverb will be worse with an amp.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

I am probably going to go with JM's speakers. They are a direct swap, supposedly. No alterations necessary.
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....CRK-6652TW-RXX

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 07-15-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:48 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragz Ultra
Has anyone upgraded their fairing speakers in the pods and had a problem with the lows hitting mushy and creating reverb in the pod? If so what was the fix? I asked over in the audio forum but so far no luck.

While trying to decide what I want to put in there I did a temp solution with some Kenwood performance series 3 way speakers that are 4 ohm and mounted in the pods. The midst and highs are a lot better but the lows are terrible now with a mushy reverb on the hit. Voices can produce the same hit and occasionally seem to ensure echo as well. I haven't added an amp yet but I'm afraid that the reverb will be worse with an amp.
I put polyfil in my pods and installed the Kappa's inside the pod as well. The low's aren't mushy in as much as what the Kappa's can reproduce in that small of an airspace volume. I am temporarily driving them with the rear channel on a RZ4-2000D as the front channel on this amp was bad out of the box and wiating for the new amp to arrive before sending it back.

Try either wrapping your speakers with a layer or two of polyfil or just filling the pod with polyfil...

Old 07-15-2015, 04:18 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

After fighting wit flashes and amps pulled all that out . I went with hog tune speakers in the fairing. Not bad not going to win a contest. Then 2 weeks ago I put the hog tune rear speakers in. This is the beast my bike has sounded. Still not going to win a contest. After spending over a grand the spending another 110 dollars for flashes that did not work then another 45 dollars to ship back. I did get a refund for the system but not the flashes or shipping , I wasted 155 dollars. For me the 280 dollars for the hog tune speakers with no amps for the money has worked the best

Old 07-15-2015, 05:07 PM
sgs14
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hog tune speakers in fairing with harley amp. Works great, waiting on the hog tunes rear bag lid speakers to come available.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:23 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, crap, every other thread I saw, Hog Tunes didn't get good reviews.... I hate trying to build/buy something without being able to hear the difference..... had Hog Tunes with bag lid speakers priced out, then went to Boom Audio II for my Road Glide,,

Old 07-15-2015, 06:52 PM
CPT_Carrera
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have some j&m speakers for the saddle bag speaker lids coming and a 4 channel 500w amp coming with my new rear end but need a recommendation for front speakers that will take advantage of the 125w of power that is not being used on my amp. Everything on my motorcycle audio wise is stock at the moment. Any recommendations?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:10 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
Well, crap, every other thread I saw, Hog Tunes didn't get good reviews.... I hate trying to build/buy something without being able to hear the difference..... had Hog Tunes with bag lid speakers priced out, then went to Boom Audio II for my Road Glide,,
I have the Hogtunes speakers, and amp for my limited, while not an award winner, can hear very good at speed, perfect for me

Old 07-15-2015, 07:29 PM
CPT_Carrera
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Could I run the new stage II speakers from HD with this remaining two channels on the J&M amp? Price is about the same as the JM rokker series speakers and I may be able to get the dealership to flash the stereo free afterward considering I was adding at least one HD part to the mix. Just not sure if the two channels that each speaker requires with those stage IIs can be shared like that on the front.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Chunky Monkey
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 2014 street quite special. I went with sounds customs they prewired everything for the bike. Upfront I'm running foCal 6 1/2 then I bought rear deck lids and put 5x7 HAT's back there. I am then powering them with arc audio 600.4. For my info system I'm running the stock 1.17.4. I have not changed or updated that as everything is working perfectly. I get full control of my bass and treb and my AVC works as it should. The sound is great both in the garage and down the road. I run the bass about two clicks below mid and it is too darn sweet compared to the stock. I have my fairing speakers mounted outside the pods like stock. I think the whole system with the painted Lids cost right about 1900 total. I did the install myself and it was pretty simple. When I go to Harley meet and greet people think it's the stock system until they hear it and the questions are firing.

Quick Reply: Rushmore speaker upgrades