Sponsored by:

Primary plug magnet full of it

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015 | 11:35 AM
thevirginian
|
Tourer
Default Primary plug magnet full of it

Changed my oil in the transmission and the primary for the "miracle" Redline product the other day. Heard and read so much good about this brand that I decided to give it a shot, even though I just changed all three holes. When I dumped the still very fresh SYN3 I had in my tranny, it looked as good as new. The plug had no residue collected on the magnet. When I unscrewed the plug of the primary it was a different story. The plug was loaded with metal ground and the synthetic Mobil 1 V-Twin I had in there was dark. You could literally see fine metal particles shimmering in it. That's why I post this thread. I am quite concerned about my observation and would like to hear from you guys what you encountered when you did the second primary oil change. I changed the primary the first time at around 300 miles then at 1K, as recommended and now at approx. 3K. So the oil has been used for about two thousand miles. Again, the tranny was like new, the primary pretty dark in comparison. What you think? Do I have a reason to contact my dealer ship?

Old 07-13-2015 | 11:40 AM
zeke383
Road Captain

Unless it has "slivers" or "hairs" you good to go. What you describe is perfectly normal.

Old 07-13-2015 | 12:00 PM
skieverything
Tourer

Did you happen to take a pic?
Almost every drain plug I have ever pulled, either from my 96 or my 103's, has had a little coating of gray almost graphite looking material on it. I just did a friends 3 fluid change 1000 mile service and his had the same thing. I chalk it up to normal.

Edit....the more I think about it, I believe the primary comes out with the most material on it.

Old 07-13-2015 | 12:50 PM
Afdharley
Road Master

Primary will have more gunk in it. Compensator, primary chain, clutch discs, starter gear. All will contribute to what you are seeing.

If it's not acting different let it be, check it next time and see if there's less material.

Old 07-13-2015 | 12:59 PM
thevirginian
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by zeke383
Unless it has "slivers" or "hairs" you good to go. What you describe is perfectly normal.
No, it didn't have "slivers" or "hairs" on it, but was pretty "loaded" with black metallic ground. I didn't take a photo, but wiped it off with a paper towel and kept that for "show and tell" at the dealer ship. I also kept the oil for the same reason. My first and second oil change did not nearly show that much residue on the magnet.

Old 07-13-2015 | 01:04 PM
maynard10
Advanced

It's normal. Don't worry about it. Redline will do the same. Just ride the hell out of it.

Old 07-13-2015 | 01:20 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser

Agreed, perfectly normal. The clutch plates, starter and ring gears knashing on each other, and the crappy compensator are all shedding stuff in there. Muddy Fuzz is normal.

Old 07-13-2015 | 02:38 PM
Skully
Cruiser

Smells nasty too.

Old 07-13-2015 | 05:15 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

It's all normal nasty smell, weird milky color and drain plug loaded with some gunk as long as no metal piece sticking on it. Service manager at our local shop had a broken piece of chain stuck on the magnet and that wasn't normal had to replace chain on his 14 Trike.

Old 07-14-2015 | 09:25 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

As others said... perfectly normal.

I have changed oil in quite a few bikes, mine and a lot of others'

Always grey and shimmery, always grey to black gunk on the plug.

Quick Reply: Primary plug magnet full of it