Sponsored by:

Help with hot right leg

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 05:08 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Help with hot right leg

This isn't really a problem but my wife's leg from her upper calf down to her foot is "hot". I've done the Stage 1 with Ceramic Fuel Moto header, Air and Power Vision.

This has removed the heat "problem" of the cat, however her leg/foot is still scorching hot. We road 5 hours in 90* weather today and her leg/foot got so hot and swollen that it was nearly unbearable for her.

The tune is fine and has been review by Jamie.

I'm just wondering about any options I can work with to help her with this problem. I did put my hand down near the floorboard at speed and there was a fair amount of heat there.

Her legs are short - so I'm going to get the reduced reach mounts to get them up

Anybody have any ideas?

Old 07-12-2015, 05:25 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm thinking ceramic runs hotter, I switched from VH PD X-pipe to a fulsac system and my wife Is also complaining of excessive heat. I might go back to the VH because of this..

Old 07-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 30glock
I'm thinking ceramic runs hotter, I switched from VH PD X-pipe to a fulsac system and my wife Is also complaining of excessive heat. I might go back to the VH because of this..
Fuel Moto claims there ceramic coated pipes run about 20 degrees cooler than the non-coated pipes. Fuel Moto's pipes are coated inside and out. Fullsac only coats the outside. I've read that only coating the outside allows the metal to get hotter because it's not insulated from the high exhaust temps and the coating on the outside keeps the pipe from dissipating the heat as fast. So it sounds to me like the pipes that are only coated on the outside may get hotter like you mentioned.

Question for the OP, Do you have the vents open on your lower fairings to allow air to blow through? I'm guessing you do, but I noticed someone at a group ride had his closed on a hot day. I mentioned it to him and he didn't know they had vents to open.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:16 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Do you have the heat defectors mounted under seat/tank? Invest in a set of adjustable swing type foot pegs that work with your boards. It will raise her feet up and block the hot air flow. Many short legged passengers like them.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Barmats
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
Do you have the heat defectors mounted under seat/tank? Invest in a set of adjustable swing type foot pegs that work with your boards. It will raise her feet up and block the hot air flow. Many short legged passengers like them.
I have these (Kuryakyn) and my wife has never once noticed any heat coming off the exhaust. Plus, it provides a number of alternate foot positions in addition to the floorboards.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:56 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Yup had the vent lowers opened. I have the heat deflectors under the seat as well. I had the wing deflectors aiming at us as well. We had good airflow around us but definitely a lot of heat generated at the header area. 4 hours of freeway speeds for us today and the wife held her own but she was hurting. I'm hoping with some tweaks it will help her comfort level so we can extend our riding time in the hot weather...

I'll be looking at getting some adjustable pegs/boards this week for sure.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:08 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have this same issue with my bike 2015 Uktra Classic, stage one , Dragula 2 2-1 exhaust, and PV-2 tuner. My exhaust is ceramic coated in side and out.i have tried several tunes even contacted dunojet and talk with tech service they sent me map to use but the heat is still there. I took the lowers off and the wings still pretty hot on the rear cylinder.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:52 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 872 Likes on 515 Posts

The back calf of my right leg gets really hot and uncomfortable. I ride with the vents open. I think it's radiant heat reflecting off the chrome pipes. In the past I've placed a small towel around the right calf under my jeans, it's not perfect but a lot more comfortable. Have her try that for a quick cure. She might also try some boots that have breathable panels to let some air flow around her foot instead of trapped in a solid leather boot. I'll be putting on black ceramic coated pipe shields to see if the radiant theory has legs.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Ray on the drums
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,137 Likes on 513 Posts

I'm a shorts wearing guy this time of year and have problems with this myself.

I had a dog ear style heavy black leather flap idea (pieces I already have) in my head but going out to look at the bike that idea kinda petered out. Keep thinking about just heat tape wrapping the pipe areas needed but that'll probably peter out too when I look at the bike again.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:27 AM
UltraSteveUSAF
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I've noticed this on the 15 RGS also, I'm running a FP3 system and temps run around 225 to 250 unless I'm still, then it will quickly jump to 300-310. Makes me stop more often. Have yet to put a temp gauge on the exterior of the pipe. I'm running stock decatted head pipe, with heat shields. I'm also running Screaming Eagle slip on's. Have the stage 1 installed. I'm running lowers with open vents. on the RGS no vents that can be adjusted. Thinking of making something. Oh I have the seat vents also. May remove the lowers to see how much it helps but love having the extra speakers. Ego is a terrible thing.

Quick Reply: Help with hot right leg