Sponsored by:

Outdated Suspension Design

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 08:00 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

And in the next thread the same people will tell you how they want to go old school with a hard tail.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,815 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
And in the next thread the same people will tell you how they want to go old school with a hard tail.
Hard tails are for Hard Heads...

Old 06-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
How, pray tell, would Harley make a touring bike with longer travel? And still make it rideable for those under 6-5?

It's a f*&$%ing street bike for Chrisakes. You don't need 6 inches of travel. And if you have Ohlins you're either made of glass or your shocks are set up wrong for your weight.

Honest to God....it seems like the threads lately are the biggest collection of whine-fests I have yet to see. My seat is too slippery. My transmission whines. My bike is bumpy.

Arghhh! These are motorcycles we're talking about!

Good Lord people. Sell the bikes and buy a Lazy Boy!
Nevada hit the nail on the head as most would agree but it's not just this, no matter what upgrades HD makes someone is still complaining about something. Just like some of the guys on here was say'n my bike wobbles in a curve at 75 mph and I said you think the speed would be the problem, well of course that was not the problem it was the frame design. So no matter what the engineers come up with the upgrades will never be enough to the whiner's and nay-sayers out there and why in the heck do you even want to compare the HD Touring bike to a BMW is beyond me, if you want to raise your bike up 10 inches or so and bolt some metal boxes on the side then go ahead, for me I'll stick to my HD 2014 Limited with the stock suspension and ride on just fine thank you !!!!

Old 06-28-2015, 08:28 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Hard tails are for Hard Heads...
Or hard....... asses!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:03 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

How, pray tell, would Harley make a touring bike with longer travel? And still make it rideable for those under 6-5?

It's a f*&$%ing street bike for Chrisakes. You don't need 6 inches of travel. And if you have Ohlins you're either made of glass or your shocks are set up wrong for your weight.

Honest to God....it seems like the threads lately are the biggest collection of whine-fests I have yet to see. My seat is too slippery. My transmission whines. My bike is bumpy.

Wait what? That is what I thought I just bought...........compared to the riding position of my last bike which was a sport touring model. Sadly between my wife and I we are nearly at capacity and it's still very comfortable and the shocks don't bottom out unless I really hit something. I do keep the air at 50 when two-up.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 AM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you forgot my bike is too hot ......

Old 06-28-2015, 11:28 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

What they truly need to do is go back to what they were riding to begin with. Be it a BMW, Honda, Suzuki .............. What ever it was. A Harley is a Harley. Plain and simple.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:16 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

ditto+ mine rides great also. Would not trade for a beemer for a multitude of reasons.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

A great solution for a jarring ride is the Hammock suspension seat. Takes away most of those spine tingling jolts.
When the suspension bottoms out, the Hammock provides an additional measure of cushioning. Great system.

As others have pointed out, the way to a smoother ride is longer travel, however that puts you higher up in the air. Ever seen the desert racers. They need a milk crate to get on and off their bikes : >)

Many people unhappy with Harley are perhaps guilty of riding them outside their design envelope. Rushmore's are cruisers, designed to cross continents on superhighways or enjoying the scenery on modern back country roads. They do not do well on dirt, gravel, tar snakes, broken pavement. They are not designed for racing nor travel at super high speeds. Going around corners 20 miles or more over the posted speed will not show them at their best.

Harleys look fantastic, carry one or two people and their luggage long distances with great pace and grace. They provide reasonable power, fuel economy and range. Have great service facilities in tons of locations. There is a culture that has developed around the brand that appeals to a tremendous number of people...but not everybody.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:37 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Lol. I just said what you (to varying degrees) were thinking.

I agree whole heartedly.

If a man wants it to be more than it is, whatever that is, go buy the brand that will do it.

An Ultra or Limited will never be a GoldWing...

But...

A GoldWing will NEVER be an Ultra or a Limited.

If you want super smooth and quiet, DO NOT GO TO THE HARLEY DEALER...

Just sayin.

Quick Reply: Outdated Suspension Design