Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG membership yeah, or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain
Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Our insurance co. gives $25 off policy each year with HOG card. Oh, and free beer sampling, hot dogs and rally pin at Sturgis last year; only go through the line once, or maybe twice, okay three times . Have to check on that AT&T discount.

Last edited by Sunnyday91360; 06-23-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Duende01
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much is the actual yearly membership? I visited their site last year before my previous membership expired but could not see the price. My membership was given to me free with the purchase of my RK. Now, depending how much that membership is would be the best way to tell if it is worth it or not. If you are doing it just for the 15% discount which in much instances is not much and then you are paying about the same 15% or 20% of that price on membership fees, then is it really worth it?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain

$45 for one year, $85 for two years, or $120 for three years. Note: A one-year full membership is automatically issued to anyone who purchases a new, unregistered Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Recon4
I do HOG for the roadside assistance only; $75 for both. I don't join local HOG chapters and never participate in group rides; it's just me and the red head enjoying the ride...
I get my roadside assistance through Allstate; much better deal in my opinion. I agree regarding "group" rides. Bad enough with the crazy cagers on the road, don't need to be in a pack of crazy motorcyclists many of whom just manage to avoid disaster every time they ride. I can crash just fine on my own thank you!

Old 06-23-2015, 09:59 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 248 Posts

I joined the local HOG chapter for the discounts, but they have gone to a "rewards" systems that is not the same as a regular discount.
I also got HOG chapter license plates on one of my cars. I kind of like it because it's something different, but not as cheesy as a personalized tag. No extra registration fee either, just a one time $25 fee.
If not for the tag, and the hassle of getting new tags for the car, I probably would not renew my HOG membership.
The last ride I went on with the HOG chapter was a weekday pancake breakfast ride. I wasn't doing anything else, so figured I'd try it out. I arrived at the dealership meeting spot right when they were pulling out. Only about 4 other bikes. At the first light a guy asked me if I was a chapter member. I said I was and he went on to tell me that I need to be on time.
While riding, the guys in front of me were pointing at something in the sky, but I couldn't figure out what it was. I found out at the next light. They were actually signaling with one finger that we were to be single file, and each person was to repeat the signal all the way back. The guy behind me scolded me for not passing the signal down.
When we got to the pancake place the guys were crying about the .99 cent special ending 30 minutes earlier. They were even trying to bring the restaurant's website up on their phones so they could challenge their advertisement.
I told them they sure had a lot of rules, and asked if that made it more fun for them.
I won't be back, and even when I see the group at bike night social events I won't sit with them.
If you need to be in a "club" maybe it would be for you.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
I joined the local HOG chapter for the discounts, but they have gone to a "rewards" systems that is not the same as a regular discount.
I also got HOG chapter license plates on one of my cars. I kind of like it because it's something different, but not as cheesy as a personalized tag. No extra registration fee either, just a one time $25 fee.
If not for the tag, and the hassle of getting new tags for the car, I probably would not renew my HOG membership.
The last ride I went on with the HOG chapter was a weekday pancake breakfast ride. I wasn't doing anything else, so figured I'd try it out. I arrived at the dealership meeting spot right when they were pulling out. Only about 4 other bikes. At the first light a guy asked me if I was a chapter member. I said I was and he went on to tell me that I need to be on time.
While riding, the guys in front of me were pointing at something in the sky, but I couldn't figure out what it was. I found out at the next light. They were actually signaling with one finger that we were to be single file, and each person was to repeat the signal all the way back. The guy behind me scolded me for not passing the signal down.
When we got to the pancake place the guys were crying about the .99 cent special ending 30 minutes earlier. They were even trying to bring the restaurant's website up on their phones so they could challenge their advertisement.
I told them they sure had a lot of rules, and asked if that made it more fun for them.
I won't be back, and even when I see the group at bike night social events I won't sit with them.
Thanks for the laugh. This is a pretty funny story IMHO. I wouldn't be back either.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
Yea I hear ya, they can ride way too close together for my comfort and skill level or lack there of. The AT&T mobile discount is 17% thought it was 18%?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_us...fits_guide.pdf

Attached Thumbnails HOG membership yeah, or nay?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Gwaxley; 06-23-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain

Wasn't the OP talking about the National HOG card not some local dealer HOG club? The HOG card you get when you bought your sled. Stay on subject, how old are you guys? LOL

Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Based solely on the statements in the original post I would say no. It's clear you're not involved with a local chapter which means they're not doing their job or that there isn't a local chapter. Harley puts a lot of $$$, time and effort into their HOG program. It's up to the dealerships to charter and promote a chapter. Local chapters can make all the difference in whether it's worth it or not.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:08 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 248 Posts

In case anyone doesn't know - you must be a national HOG member before you can join a local chapter. And yes, there are separate dues for each.

I do it, but don't see much point to it, unless you are one of the ones that need to belong to a group.

Quick Reply: HOG membership yeah, or nay?