Sponsored by:

Navigation database Full?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 08:14 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DWKen
I totally agree with everything you posted except the first sentence. My Boom creates little side tracks off the intended route on its own. I'm not sure that they're actually "Waypoints". but it wants me to take little detours that are absolutely not in the imported route. I can look at the source route and it's perfect; comparing it to the BoomBox route. The BoomBox may have little side trips. It does it every time in certain places.
One place is the Sonic Restaurant in Childress, Texas. It's our traditional lunch spot after leaving DFW at 7:30 AM. The Boom route is flawless to that point. But when it's time to leave, it routes me to a parking lot across the street before getting back on 287. It does that EVERY time we go that way.
Another place is on 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff. We took that route three times last week, each time was a different route. In the source, it was perfect. But the BoomBox reliably wanted me to lead the group off 89A and take the little side road off the highway, make several turns, and then come back to 89A. In those cases, it did indeed try to route me back to the missed path that it created by itself.
There are several other places in our 3,000 mile trip that ended last week where the Boom wanted to guide us off the highway to take an unwanted side trip. On a couple of occasions, I led our group onto the unwanted side trip. (didn't know the area)

We're leaving in 3 weeks on a 5,000+ mile trip from DFW to Mount Rainier, down the PCH, across to Lake Tahoe, and then several other places before entering back into Texas. Two of us have taken the responsibility of creating the BoomBox routing. We've worked for several hours over the phone while trying different ways of creating the Boom routing. His and my Booms agree with each other about 95 percent of the time. Neither can be termed "right" or "reliable".

To be fair, his Boom has a newer firmware revision than mine. (not maps, but the operations firmware). I can't update mine again because my firmware has an option for "no microphone" so that CarPlay will work without a WHIM or a Harley Microphone plugged in. He has a WHIM and uses it with his branded Sena headset. The newer revisions don't have that option. So without a WHIM or Harley microphone, I'd lose my CarPlay. I watched the tech update mine with the Digital Tech and watched him select the "no microphone" option. But that's a different topic for a different time.
Are we having fun yet? These things can be buggers.

The last time I used HD Ride Planner if you use specific addresses like hotel to dealer to hotel, etc then place waypoints the export has a single file but breaks up each address to address as separate routes. I didn’t like that.

There are now two types of “waypoints”. One is a “via point” where the system expects you to trip over it and will reroute and the other is a “shaping point” which is there to force a route but the system will not reroute if you miss it. Creating these will depend on the software you use for the gpx file. I am not familiar with Furcut and while HD Ride Planner has improved I still do not like it for larger Route creation. My go to app is myRouteapp.com. It is web based and has a companion smartphone app if you want to ride the route using the phone. One very nice feature in MRA is that you can label the waypoints and see the label on the Boom. I use this to keep me informed why the point is there or for reminders. Ie approaching the rest stop. Use the export as GPX 1.1 format, not one of the Boom formats, to get this functionality.

When placing a waypoint always zoom to the max and place it on the road. Even then each navigation system may report it on the right or left depending on the mapping software. The GPS coordinates are within a number of feet and that will cause a variance.

For the “why did you route me here” things like leaving the parking lot, this is usually because the algorithm thinks that route is shorter. Where I know of repeated issues like this I place a waypoint to force the route. All of my GPS tools - Boom, Garmin Nuvi, Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps - has the occasional mind of their own. I still prefer them over stopping for a paper map. I have found the most success with setting the GPS unit to not avoid anything except unsaved roads and fastest route. Any of the avoid this settings will try to modify the route plan accordingly. Some of my chapter members keep building routes with HD Planner and “avoid interstates” turned on. Then are confused when the file is loaded on a Boom or other system and the p,an jumps to interstates.

I mapped our Route 66 run last year - Tampa to Chicago to LA, up PCH and back across and the Boom followed exactly the plan the whole way. I had also created a turn sheet that my wife referenced so we knew it stayed on course.

I’d love to take a look at your route plan. You can send me the GPX file at larry.blakely@gmail.com.

I’m on a trip right now myself. About 7,500 miles - Tampa to Mid-Atlantic to visit my kids, then up the east coast to the New England states, over to Halifax to meet up for the Canadian ride home plan, Milwaukee, then south to Tampa. I mapped the entire route and then made copies to chop it into 1 to 3 days at a time. I have planned downtime during the trip, like today with the kids, and I am online in the evenings.

Another Boom tip, when you do the import do not select “import all”, this will import data that only clutters the database. On the original unit it would cause the database to fill up and need a factory reset process to easily clear it. When doing the import only select the line item with a “checkered flag”. This will include the waypoints but not duplicate them.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:56 AM
DWKen
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Very interesting stuff, Larry. There's a lot in your post for me to study and try.
Thank you for taking the time to type it all for us.

It was suggested to use "Scenic", but on our first day from DFW to Trinidad, CO, the Boom wanted me to visit Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo. NOPE to Scenic! If I want to go someplace scenic, I'll pre-plan.

I want to re-import a day of our Sedona trip into the Boom and drill down to where it wanted me to leave the highway to make a square detour before getting back onto the highway and post a picture of the display.
I think it created its own waypoint because after passing the detour (without taking it), the Boom directed me to use the upcoming roundabout to go back and do the detour. Not knowing what it was doing at the roundabout, I led my group around the roundabout; quickly discovering that it was wanting us to go back to the detour. So we went around twice; much to the chagrin of the other motorists that had to yield right of way to us.

Originally Posted by VA_Larry
Are we having fun yet? These things can be buggers.

The last time I used HD Ride Planner if you use specific addresses like hotel to dealer to hotel, etc then place waypoints the export has a single file but breaks up each address to address as separate routes. I didn’t like that.

There are now two types of “waypoints”. One is a “via point” where the system expects you to trip over it and will reroute and the other is a “shaping point” which is there to force a route but the system will not reroute if you miss it. Creating these will depend on the software you use for the gpx file. I am not familiar with Furcut and while HD Ride Planner has improved I still do not like it for larger Route creation. My go to app is myRouteapp.com. It is web based and has a companion smartphone app if you want to ride the route using the phone. One very nice feature in MRA is that you can label the waypoints and see the label on the Boom. I use this to keep me informed why the point is there or for reminders. Ie approaching the rest stop. Use the export as GPX 1.1 format, not one of the Boom formats, to get this functionality.

When placing a waypoint always zoom to the max and place it on the road. Even then each navigation system may report it on the right or left depending on the mapping software. The GPS coordinates are within a number of feet and that will cause a variance.

For the “why did you route me here” things like leaving the parking lot, this is usually because the algorithm thinks that route is shorter. Where I know of repeated issues like this I place a waypoint to force the route. All of my GPS tools - Boom, Garmin Nuvi, Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps - has the occasional mind of their own. I still prefer them over stopping for a paper map. I have found the most success with setting the GPS unit to not avoid anything except unsaved roads and fastest route. Any of the avoid this settings will try to modify the route plan accordingly. Some of my chapter members keep building routes with HD Planner and “avoid interstates” turned on. Then are confused when the file is loaded on a Boom or other system and the p,an jumps to interstates.

I mapped our Route 66 run last year - Tampa to Chicago to LA, up PCH and back across and the Boom followed exactly the plan the whole way. I had also created a turn sheet that my wife referenced so we knew it stayed on course.

I’d love to take a look at your route plan. You can send me the GPX file at larry.blakely@gmail.com.

I’m on a trip right now myself. About 7,500 miles - Tampa to Mid-Atlantic to visit my kids, then up the east coast to the New England states, over to Halifax to meet up for the Canadian ride home plan, Milwaukee, then south to Tampa. I mapped the entire route and then made copies to chop it into 1 to 3 days at a time. I have planned downtime during the trip, like today with the kids, and I am online in the evenings.

Another Boom tip, when you do the import do not select “import all”, this will import data that only clutters the database. On the original unit it would cause the database to fill up and need a factory reset process to easily clear it. When doing the import only select the line item with a “checkered flag”. This will include the waypoints but not duplicate them.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:44 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 450 Likes on 323 Posts

The biggest thing about multi-day trips is to load each day one at a time into Ride Planner. Otherwise, it becomes just one ride.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:12 AM
Juan L
Received 20,118 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by DWKen
I totally agree with everything you posted except the first sentence. My Boom creates little side tracks off the intended route…..

We're leaving in 3 weeks on a 5,000+ mile trip from DFW to Mount Rainier, down the PCH, across to Lake Tahoe….
I have found that I have to go into Ride Planner with my laptop, to take out these little side tracks. You could carry a little memory stick with you with each days ride and import before you leave so you don’t clutter up the GPS memory. I have Fort Worth to Raton burned into the bike’s memory as we always stay at the Best Western there. The rooms are a bit pricey but they are comfortable and there is a restaurant on site that is decent for hotel food.

We are headed out next month on a similar trip to OR, CA, NV. We plan to hit the lower half of the PCH, Sierra Nevadas, Redwoods, Reno and a few others. Good luck on your ride, we may see each other along the way.