2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unresponsive cruise control & gear indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015 | 09:53 PM
capttawes
|
Road Warrior
Default Unresponsive cruise control & gear indicator?

Anyone had this happen on 14/15 bike? Noticed a couple days ago on my 14 king the gear indicator/rpm stopped showing the gear number and today one minute the cruise was working and the next it would come on but I could not set it or get it to engage. Anyone run into this if so any idea on the cause?

Leaving in 4 weeks on an 8 day trip and would like to get resolved. Sure I can warranty it at the dealer but they're not exactly close nor do I want it taken in then sit to get fixed or looked at either. Not a major issue but the cruise would be handy for hours on the road.

Adjusted my clutch tension after lubing cable recently so my first thought is to reset that in the event it's tripping a sensor being too tight causing the loss of indicator and cruise. I know a slight pull on the clutch will disengage cruise.

Last edited by capttawes; 06-14-2015 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 06-14-2015 | 10:01 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain

Just had my left hand control module replaced under warranty. Same symptoms. Try to start it in gear with the clutch pulled in. If it won't start then the clutch safety switch is bad too and it's all one unit, at least on my bike. Don't know for sure about the RK.

Old 06-14-2015 | 10:09 PM
capttawes
|
Road Warrior

Thanks, will give it a shot this week. Controls are a little different from the glides in that it's a cable clutch and the glides controls also have stereo toggle but then again the sensor is the same I would imagine.
Hate like heck to go in for warranty before a trip but if after adjusting and trying it again this week I'll be giving the dealer a call.

Old 06-14-2015 | 10:16 PM
Kseeley
Cruiser

I have a 2015 Ultra Limited that I purchased a week ago with 300 miles. The left turn signal switch failed. Being fixed under warranty.

Last edited by Kseeley; 06-16-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2015 | 10:24 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior

Agreed.. clutch safety switch.

Old 06-16-2015 | 11:25 PM
MudmanMike
Cruiser

Agreed on the switch. I am on #3 so far and decided to upgrade to the CVO switches.

Old 06-17-2015 | 07:59 AM
capttawes
|
Road Warrior

Well I reset the tension on the clutch cable then pulled the diag. code b2250 (clutch switch sticking). On the ride in this morning my gear indicator started working intermittently as did my cruise but now my left signal indicator on the console does not light despite the signal flashing. I'm guessing there's pinch in the housing somewhere and the switch still hanging up so I'll be tinkering with that tonight when I get home hoping I can remedy it given the switch is obviously not shot yet.

If it fails after I make sure nothings pinched or binding I'll warranty it at the Rommel's Seaford. I'm avoiding that at the moment given its 110mi. round trip and I'm betting they wont let me drop it off in morning and pickup afternoon or next day or even stock the controls.

Last edited by capttawes; 06-17-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-17-2015 | 08:44 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Two weeks ago I had the exact same thing happen. I shut off the bike, and restarted it. has worked perfectly ever since. I called the dealer, and they said no one had ever reported such an issue. Glad to know I am not the only one.

Old 06-17-2015 | 08:52 AM
capttawes
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Two weeks ago I had the exact same thing happen. I shut off the bike, and restarted it. has worked perfectly ever since. I called the dealer, and they said no one had ever reported such an issue. Glad to know I am not the only one.
I'm venturing most any dealer/service dept. any of us would mention any issue to has the same response
I didn't think I was the only one either as I've seen a few threads myself that sound like a lefthand switch issue.

Last edited by capttawes; 06-17-2015 at 08:54 AM. Reason: adding text
Old 06-20-2015 | 12:24 PM
knife_edge
Tourer

Originally Posted by duckbagger
Just had my left hand control module replaced under warranty. Same symptoms. Try to start it in gear with the clutch pulled in. If it won't start then the clutch safety switch is bad too and it's all one unit, at least on my bike. Don't know for sure about the RK.
Had the same exact thing happened to my 15 road glide special this week on my way up to Laconia, NH and I was told by the HD dealership up there that they were receiving lots of complaints for the same issues and that it was the left control electrical unit on the handle bar that needed to be replace. But they did not have the replacement part in stock, so I am getting it done this coming week by my local HD shop. It's funny how my local shop also asked if I rode in the rain catching me off guard with that question. With a smile I answered her with a "No", but what a question to ask, when did it change that you couldn't ride your bike in the rain?

Quick Reply: Unresponsive cruise control & gear indicator?