Sponsored by:

Stock Rotors on a 21" wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:24 PM
02BlueDeuce
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Stock Rotors on a 21" wheel

Does anyone know if my stock rotors on my 14 SGS will fit on a 21"" wheel or if I need to buy new rotors along with the wheel (a nice little hidden expense I didn't think of maybe)? This is the wheel I am putting on and my stock rotors are the Harley chrome/polished rotors so I was hoping I would be able to reuse them with the new wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Stock Rotors on a 21" wheel-kingman_bike_21-inch.jpg  
Old 06-05-2015, 03:37 PM
FlyByWire
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please don't!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Liquidoxygen
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you aware that you will also have to change the back wheel to one size larger? I could be wrong but it has to do with the abs sensors. Something about the revolutions of the wheels being in sync. Someone else may be able to chime in here

Last edited by Liquidoxygen; 06-05-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:40 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlueDeuce
Does anyone know if my stock rotors on my 14 SGS will fit on a 21"" wheel or if I need to buy new rotors along with the wheel (a nice little hidden expense I didn't think of maybe)? This is the wheel I am putting on and my stock rotors are the Harley chrome/polished rotors so I was hoping I would be able to reuse them with the new wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Most hubs on an aftermarket wheel are different than the stock ones - you might be able to get an adaptor to get them to work but honestly not sure why you would, you're dropping some serious coin on a new front wheel, you should get the matching rotors - I got mine front wheel thru HogPro, the wheel came ready to install, all I had to do was unbolt the old wheel, install the new one & check the air pressure

Originally Posted by Liquidoxygen
Are you aware that you will also have to change the back wheel to one size larger? I could be wrong but it has to do with the abs sensors. Something about the revolutions of the wheels being in sync. Someone else may be able to chime in here
If you run any front tire other than a Dunlop you will need to install one of these - http://www.easternperformance.com/th...-23-26-30.html - which is what I did when I installed a Commander II on my front 21" rim - it's plug & play simple to install

Last edited by JMC22; 06-06-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:33 PM
txm8de
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlueDeuce
I had no success finding an adapter, plus the matching rotor looks better. As longs as the tire is the 21" Dunlop that HD uses on the breakout you will not have any ABS issues. If you go with another tire you will need the sensor kits or order a bigger rear wheel as well. I run Dunlops on the front and rear with no issues and the ride is good.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:31 PM
02BlueDeuce
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. I had already ordered the Dunlop front tire so no problem there. I just found out that Renegade does make an adapter for the wheel I'm looking at but they don't have any pics of what it would look like. The reason I was hoping to use my existing rotors is because I have the Harley chrome rotors on the chrome enforcer wheel already and was hoping to use it because I like the open center look it has and think that it would show off more of the 21"wheel. But without being able to see what it would look like on that wheel I guess I will just order it with the matching rotors, it's too costly to order it unseen and possibly not like it so the matching setup will be the better and safer way. Again thanks for the responses I really appreciate them.