Sponsored by:

Disappointing Stage IV Dyno Results: 2015 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:26 PM
bagabond
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEd04
Dave Stoddart at Pocono Mountain HD is one of the best dyno guys in the country. Bit of a ride across the state but well worth it. I rode mine all the way from Tennessee to let him tune it and I'd do it again in a minute.
BigEd04 - much appreciated. I emailed Dave last night and he called me first thing this morning. He seems top-shelf and I have forwarded the dyno sheet to him for suggestions. My question now is whether I should even ride it. Really sucks as I "was" scheduled to ride to Sioux Narrows Ontario next week....

The following users liked this post:
vizcarmb (07-11-2021)
Old 06-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

Something else I noticed about your dyno sheet. Torque and Horsepower should cross at 5250 rpm's. Yours looks to be a bit to the right according to the graph, 5400 to 5600. Could be the scaling? Maybe software is not calibrated correctly don't know. What impact it has on your tune, if any cant say, but it certainly cant be good. A good tuner is worth his weight In gold. Their are some that work at Dealerships, very few, and the dealer isn't going to give them the time it takes to correctly tune a bike. Usually start to finish is a minimum of 3 hrs, can be longer. If some one says they can tune a bike for you in a couple of hrs what they are doing is downloading a base map and running it on a dyno. Not really a tune. Base maps are a starting point to get the bike in the ball park so you can properly tune it. Once you get a proper dyno tune you will have a smile on your face!!! Good Luck.

Last edited by Beak; 06-04-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:05 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Humidity seems a bit high

Old 06-05-2015, 01:29 AM
BigEd04
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bagabond
BigEd04 - much appreciated. I emailed Dave last night and he called me first thing this morning. He seems top-shelf and I have forwarded the dyno sheet to him for suggestions. My question now is whether I should even ride it. Really sucks as I "was" scheduled to ride to Sioux Narrows Ontario next week....
Dave will get you squared away. He owned his own shop in Bethlehem for years. The dealership called him in so often to do tunes for them that they offered him a contract to come and do them there. Also a top notch engine builder so he will definitely get you fixed.

The following 2 users liked this post by BigEd04:
BrownSanta (02-04-2017), harpo302 (06-12-2021)
Old 06-05-2015, 09:06 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Disappointing Stage IV Dyno Results: 2015 Limited

Wow, those numbers are terrible, man. Definitely take it somewhere else! I did an S&S build in my 103, just cams, duals and and intake, my tuner (Dan Thayer, holds the patent on the Thayer 3 stage oil pump) got me 100 hp and 107 tq with my power vision.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:29 PM
SouthernHD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a new tuner! TD's wont steal that much power. My stage 1 makes 90/110 and I'm running jackpot headpipes with CFR mufflers.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:02 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 351 Likes on 244 Posts

Maybe the tuner shoved a sock in the tbody, these numbers seem impossible to be honest. Even the base run before the tune would give peak numbers better than that. There's enough proof on this forum of this kit under performing but this one takes the cake. Retune I guess, 2 hrs is on the low side. I would want my cheddar back. Stage 1's blow this away, that would be my money back argument. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:17 AM
bagabond
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I am scheduled to leave the bike with a different tuner. Yesterday I spent 2 hours at the dealership that built the bike and no one was happy when I left. Now the dealership is trying to hold the warranty card over my head by saying "We could get HD involved but then your bike will be flagged due to the Stage IV kit, and warranty items will always be an issue." They also continued to say that I chose the Rinehart True Duals and this is the problem. Their position is that they have done several other wet heads with a Stage IV kit that make 115 HP and 115 ft-lb, but they all have different pipes. To them this suggests a pipe cause; to me it suggests a lack of tuning competency to deal with the pipe interaction or there is something fundamentally wrong with my build.

Man, I am so disappointed and pissed about the time, energy, and money.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

Hang in there.....you will get it worked out. Went through the same thing with a dealer tune in 2010. Although my CVO Ultra isn't a wet head, its a 2010, it made 105/123 on the dyno with stock SE255 cams, stock pistons. The heads worked by TMan, and it was tuned and assembled by Doc's Performance in Fl. Oh and I forgot......I am running Rinehart True Duals system. So it can be done.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:29 PM
mfriar
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno results

Bagabond here is my sheet with a stage iv

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
dyno results.bmp (1.74 MB, 435 views)

Quick Reply: Disappointing Stage IV Dyno Results: 2015 Limited