Sponsored by:

Creating Route and Downloading into GPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 05:49 PM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Creating Route and Downloading into GPS

I've been using a Zumo 550 and Basecamp for quite sometime. I have ridden all over the United States with routes that I have planned out on Basecamp. I ride a 2009 Ultra. A friend of mine has a 2014 Ultra Limited and I'm trying to share routes with him for an upcoming week long trip, but we've had a few problems. I planned a short route just the other day to experiment. He imported the route via a flashdrive, but the route was not identical to my route. The GPS did get him to the final destination, but it took him several miles off the main roadway for no reason. Has anyone had any luck sharing routes with the new Harely GPS system? If so, is there something I am missing. My friend has all the updates for the radio/GPS

Old 06-02-2015, 06:56 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Basecamp with the HD built-in GPS and haven't had issues. When you create the route, make sure you create enough waypoints to force the GPS to the roads you want to take.

When importing the trip, have him just import the trip name (gpx file name), not any of the waypoints or stops; the main gpx file will already have all the waypoints in it.

Lastly, ensure he has his GPS routing set to the same as yours (fastest time, shortest route, scenic, curvy, etc).

Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
I've been using a Zumo 550 and Basecamp for quite sometime. I have ridden all over the United States with routes that I have planned out on Basecamp. I ride a 2009 Ultra. A friend of mine has a 2014 Ultra Limited and I'm trying to share routes with him for an upcoming week long trip, but we've had a few problems. I planned a short route just the other day to experiment. He imported the route via a flashdrive, but the route was not identical to my route.
The GPS did get him to the final destination, but it took him several miles off the main roadway for no reason.
Has anyone had any luck sharing routes with the new Harely GPS system? If so, is there something I am missing. My friend has all the updates for the radio/GPS
There is always a reason. LOL

Sometimes it can be difficult to get two different GPS units to show the same exact route.
The reason? All GPS units use their own internal algorithms for calculating the way between two points.

In order to ensure that a GPS will draw its map identical to how you created it on your computer, you need to make sure you add enough way points.
This ensures that no matter what map is used, they all follow the same route.

When you import a map into a GPS unit (all of them), all you are doing is sending a starting, ending and any way points in between.
You are not actually sending the exact route.

Sounds like you already know how to create, and export/import the route. So, all that is needed is a little "tweaking".
Also be aware that his GPS unit might have different settings for route navigation (faster, shorter, twisty, avoid highways, etc).
Make sure both units are set up as close to the same as possible.
Not sure about your Zumo, but the new HD infotainment system has quite a few route options to choose from.

Edit: Posted without reading the response from Caberto, but he nailed it first.

Last edited by RollaMo; 06-02-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:25 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,677 Likes on 8,470 Posts

Harley Ride Planner® Tutorial

How to Create a Route with HD Ride Planner

Last edited by zoozoo; 06-02-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I am in WVa and have the trip in my gps. I start and stop and when i start the gps up it always starts back home in Michigan? None of the waypoints are named and this is very hard to operate. I dont have a laptop with me and cant start route from where i am. Its a pain

Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 AM
caberto
Road Master

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp
I am in WVa and have the trip in my gps. I start and stop and when i start the gps up it always starts back home in Michigan? None of the waypoints are named and this is very hard to operate. I dont have a laptop with me and cant start route from where i am. Its a pain
If you didn't name your waypoints/destinations, that would make it difficult... but you do have the choice to start from a different location than the original start location.

I would fiddle around with it until you bring up the right location as a Start point you want, then remember what destination number that was. The next day, you can count to the next number and begin at that next destination? I don't think you can rename Waypoints/Destinations, although I haven't tried to.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:27 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by caberto
If you didn't name your waypoints/destinations, that would make it difficult... but you do have the choice to start from a different location than the original start location.

I would fiddle around with it until you bring up the right location as a Start point you want, then remember what destination number that was. The next day, you can count to the next number and begin at that next destination? I don't think you can rename Waypoints/Destinations, although I haven't tried to.
I did stop at a dealer and they stated there would be an update in July.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:23 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

One feature I would really like to see on the HD Ride Planner is the option to select avoidances, like unpaved roads, toll roads, etc. I was planning a South Dakota ride the other day and despite my diligence in using Google Maps to zoom way in to make sure I was on paved roads, sure enough there would be a section that wasn't paved. I didn't know this of course until I went through the whole process of planning the route, importing it to the bike then loading the route to verify on the bike that it was taking the route I wanted. At that point it would warn me about unpaved roads. I had to zoom in on the bike NAV to see where it was unhappy then redo the route again. Took me half a dozen times to finally get it right. If I could select to avoid unpaved roads, that would help a lot!

Old 06-04-2015, 11:40 AM
caberto
Road Master

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
One feature I would really like to see on the HD Ride Planner is the option to select avoidances, like unpaved roads, toll roads, etc. I was planning a South Dakota ride the other day and despite my diligence in using Google Maps to zoom way in to make sure I was on paved roads, sure enough there would be a section that wasn't paved. I didn't know this of course until I went through the whole process of planning the route, importing it to the bike then loading the route to verify on the bike that it was taking the route I wanted. At that point it would warn me about unpaved roads. I had to zoom in on the bike NAV to see where it was unhappy then redo the route again. Took me half a dozen times to finally get it right. If I could select to avoid unpaved roads, that would help a lot!
I use Basecamp (comes included with Garmin GPS purchase, if you have one already), and you can set up avoidances there; Initially, it's not as easy to use as Ride Planner, but once I got the hang of it, it's been great, it has a lot of options and I wouldn't go back.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:34 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by caberto
I use Basecamp (comes included with Garmin GPS purchase, if you have one already), and you can set up avoidances there; Initially, it's not as easy to use as Ride Planner, but once I got the hang of it, it's been great, it has a lot of options and I wouldn't go back.
I have Basecamp and have messed with it, but I have had zero luck figuring it out. I admit I haven't really put much effort into it yet, but it is not very intuitive, lol.

Quick Reply: Creating Route and Downloading into GPS