Sponsored by:

5000 mile service... really??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Monk
I do want to learn to do the maintenance on my RK, but I'm not mechanically inclined, which brings me to questions like:

Same question for lift - what do I need and sources?

Then, where do you store the lift? My garage is set up as a professional wood shop (most of the equipment is on wheels), it was PITA to make room for the bike alone in a garage that has a 5 HP dust collector, jointer/planer, 2 bandsaws, drill press, table saw, two workbenches, two tool cabinets, 2000 board feet of wood, etc... in a 17'x19' space.

?

I have no doubt that if you are clever enough to fit all that equipment in that space plus a bike you will find doing the service on your bike easy.

First tool you need is the manual, The 3 oil drain plugs take a 5/8" socket, I prefer 6 pt. The plugs get torqued to 14-21 ft lbs. Torque wrenches can be found for a good price at Sears, Lowes, auto parts store ect. Many Auto parts store offer oil recycling. I use a strap wrench with a 3/8" ratchet and extension to take off the OEM filter then replace it with a KN that you can tighten up with a socket. Like your wood working, good tools make the job easier but you don't have to buy snapon or other high end tools. A lift or a floor jack makes it easier but like others have said you can do it without.
Hope this helps
Good Luck

Old 06-05-2015, 01:31 PM
MDSledhead
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Monk
I do want to learn to do the maintenance on my RK, but I'm not mechanically inclined, which brings me to questions like:
I get the HD, oil pan that drains all 3 into one pan. Then what do you do with it? This question is from how not to spill it all over the garage floor to where do you take it to dispose of it and in what kind of container.
Torque wrenches: I don't have access to a Snap-On truck dealer, what do I need (size/brand) and where do I get them? The rest of my mechanical tools are a cheap set of Husky wrenches/sockets that I got as a gift from a friend.
Same question for lift - what do I need and sources?

Then, where do you store the lift? My garage is set up as a professional wood shop (most of the equipment is on wheels), it was PITA to make room for the bike alone in a garage that has a 5 HP dust collector, jointer/planer, 2 bandsaws, drill press, table saw, two workbenches, two tool cabinets, 2000 board feet of wood, etc... in a 17'x19' space.

Honestly, if maintenance requires a lift, I don't see it being feasible. Can I do fluids without a lift?
I got my lift at Sears - Craftsman Aluminum. Hang it on the wall when i'm not using it. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...&mktRedirect=y

I got my torque wrenches (1/4" and 1/2" drive) at a local parts place called Surplus City... they are nice (I'm sure you could find a nice set online). Lowes has them.
I keep a 5 gallon plastic (drywall) bucket with lid for used oil. The local trash depository/recycling center also takes used motor oil.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Just did my 5k. Spent a leisurely 5 hours doing it. Most of that time was just cleaning and checking over the fittings and fasteners. Changed oil in all holes as well.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:45 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyron
Hey, don't forget when you take it in for service, they give you a free wash.

That ought to count for something if they do at least a half *** job!
Yeah, and scratch the paint drying it with a dirty rag.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by screamn_eagle
350 for a b service....that s half what we charge for that service. that included the brake flush and fill, cabin dust filter, air filter etc...350 is a bargain....

Beat me to it. It's $550 down here for that service. The dealer gave me free services thru 10,000 miles to get me to trade up to my '14 last year, so I'll use it until I exceed the mileage which will be soon.

Like Safety Man stated, it's usually the most inexperienced tech that does the services. But my last service one of the master technicians was on my bike. He overfilled the oil, didn't torque several of the fasteners (or any as far as I could tell) and didn't update my infotainment to the lasted software update that I had requested. So even the master technicians can suck at their job too.....
Always check their work before riding off!

Old 06-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't mind paying for the dealer service if it was a little more specific. "Check critical fasteners"... How about a list of those fasteners, and the mechanic's initials in a box next to each one? The type and quantity of fluids added, and again.... initials.

Instead you get a bill, and see you in 5000 miles. And the knowledge that the guy that did the work had a financial incentive to get it done quickly, rather than correctly.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No-one washes my ride .... Not even a half naked bikini babe!

And I agree a check list of whatever the tech is doing for that kind of cost for his "hours" of hundreds of dollars worth of service!!

Old 06-15-2015, 03:26 PM
MDSledhead
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I did the oil change myself on Saturday. Took me longer to get the filter at the dealer. 3 qts of Mobil 1 synthetic vtwin 20w50 and an HD chrome filter. $45 total. Had I not read the manual, it would have taken 15 minutes. Man is it easy... the oil drain plug actually works better on the jiffy stand (it's on that side).

Checked the trans lube and it looks like new... brake fluid looks good in both site glasses, and I check my air suspension regularly. Changing the bars this week, so I figure I'll be "checking" the critical fasteners then.
I always check the drive belt tension/alignment by sight and feel when I wash it - it's easier to take the saddlebags off when washing anyway.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:03 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
I wouldn't mind paying for the dealer service if it was a little more specific. "Check critical fasteners"... How about a list of those fasteners, and the mechanic's initials in a box next to each one? The type and quantity of fluids added, and again.... initials.

Instead you get a bill, and see you in 5000 miles. And the knowledge that the guy that did the work had a financial incentive to get it done quickly, rather than correctly.
The '14 manual lists the critical fasteners on the spreadsheet, unlike the older ones.

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
No-one washes my ride .... Not even a half naked bikini babe!
Nor a fully naked one.

I hate the thought of a dirty rag, sponge or whatever grinding sand into my paint.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:57 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,506 Likes on 3,232 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Nor a fully naked one.

I hate the thought of a dirty rag, sponge or whatever grinding sand into my paint.
Now that's not a very nice way to talk about that gal washing your bike. Haha

Quick Reply: 5000 mile service... really??