Sponsored by:

5000 mile service... really??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:23 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by londo-cat
A good friend once said "Don’t argue with idiots. They’ll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

Good luck with the 4th grader doing service on your Harley. Let me know how it works out for you.
Said the jackass with 126 posts. Oooohhhh.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

There is something to be said for having an experienced mechanic do maintenance and repairs on your bike.

Few would be happy however if that dealership had someone doing the work that had absolutely no experience doing so.

Yet they will recommend other forum members, who say they have no experience with such repairs, to jump in and do the services themselves.

To do it yourself, you need to take the time to learn and understand the proper way to do the services. You then need to source the proper tools and supplies, then you need a proper work space, put aside the time, and give it your best shot, knowing that the first time is the hardest, and has the smallest chance to go perfectly.

You also need a plan "B" in case something goes well. Easy to drive your bike to the dealership and hang out in the waiting room for an oil change. Much more difficult to have your bike transported there on a trailer because you cross threaded a drain plug.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 PM
londo-cat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
There is something to be said for having an experienced mechanic do maintenance and repairs on your bike.

Few would be happy however if that dealership had someone doing the work that had absolutely no experience doing so.

Yet they will recommend other forum members, who say they have no experience with such repairs, to jump in and do the services themselves.

To do it yourself, you need to take the time to learn and understand the proper way to do the services. You then need to source the proper tools and supplies, then you need a proper work space, put aside the time, and give it your best shot, knowing that the first time is the hardest, and has the smallest chance to go perfectly.

You also need a plan "B" in case something goes well. Easy to drive your bike to the dealership and hang out in the waiting room for an oil change. Much more difficult to have your bike transported there on a trailer because you cross threaded a drain plug.
I agree. I've been changing my own oil since the first two dealer oil changes. It gets easier as you go on - and from there I learned to unmount/mount my tires, perform routine maintenance on just about anything. I've had my share of issues, and there have been some times when I just didn't have the time to do the repairs so it had to go to the dealer.

Wrenching on your own motorcycle can also benefit you if you get stuck out there on the road somewhere and need repairs. This has happened a few times - and without the experience I gained from doing a few simple things at first, I would have probably been at the mercy of a tow truck and dealer which I didn't know or trust to work on my motorcycle.

However - there are items I don't do because I either don't have the tools, or don't have the time (or space) to perform those repairs.

Oil changes and routine maintenance - got that. Changing out cams (or cam bearings) - I'd defer this to a solid mechanic. Since I ride almost 30,000 miles a year - it only made sense for me to perform my own 1k, 5k, 10k etc maintenance.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:09 AM
londo-cat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
Said the jackass with 126 posts. Oooohhhh.
Oh dear. I hurt your feelings. My bad.

But - as you wrote BigMike... 'If you don't like what I write, don't read it. If it irritates you, plus 1 for me!'

Old 06-04-2015, 01:23 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As for rocket scientists (or Aerospace engineering as they refer to it) - most of them don't do a lot of manual labor like changing oil on motorcycles. They are scientists. (and yes, I know quite a few of them).
Plus - I have YET to know any Aerospace engineer that rides a Harley and does his/her own oil changes. Most, if not all - would take it to the dealership. Thats just how they roll.
O M G
You folks getting on londo-cat's case do realize he's kidding, right?
The statements above are so ridiculous and you don't see the humor in them?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:22 AM
BigMike
Club Member

Oh dear. I hurt your feelings. My bad.

But - as you wrote BigMike... 'If you don't like what I write, don't read it. If it irritates you, plus 1 for me!'
Not likely. But when a no-nothing noob comes in calling people idiots and moderating the way people post - they are a jackass. Pretty simple really.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:30 AM
BigMike
Club Member

I guess there are reasons some people shouldn't work on their own cars/bikes.

5000 mile service... really??-batt.jpg

Old 06-04-2015, 06:32 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,123 Likes on 3,659 Posts

All you need for basic stuff is your owners manual and basic tools....a service manual will have all torque specs and more in depth stuff to do. Spend the money on a jack and some specialty tools you may need...money well spent.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:44 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

For some, common sense ain't so common. For others, they lack the mechanical aptitude. For others, they do not have the time or patience. For a few, they have money to **** away and could care less.

Those are the people that SHOULD bring it to the dealer, plain and simple.

I like to tinker, have a typical farm boy's mechanical aptitude, barely scrape by $$ wise, and feel that why have someone do it if I can do it myself. Granted there are things that are beyond my know-how or skills. For those, I bring it to the dealer. I am in the camp that believes that you should learn your vehicles, it may help you some day by the side of the road.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:48 AM
2014sgs
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to work on my own bikes, cars, etc. I dont have the time (or I choose not to make the time) for this work now. So for my bike I use the local independant Harley mechanic. Some people do their own taxes, some don't. Not really any different. To each their own...

Quick Reply: 5000 mile service... really??