Sponsored by:

Maps and software

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015 | 08:34 PM
Sandcrab
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Maps and software

Just bought my 15 Limited, and just downloaded (free) the latest software version. Do the maps ever need to be updated, like my Garmin did with lifetime maps, and of course, will it be free like the latest software updates?

Old 05-31-2015 | 08:41 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Old 05-31-2015 | 09:01 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Just bought my 15 Limited, and just downloaded (free) the latest software version. Do the maps ever need to be updated, like my Garmin did with lifetime maps, and of course, will it be free like the latest software updates?
I don't think they have released any new maps yet for the new infotainment systems.
They will eventually have an updated map, but it won't be free.

Very few if any of the "built in" infotainment systems out there today have free maps.

Old 06-01-2015 | 08:47 AM
joenash
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RollaMo
I don't think they have released any new maps yet for the new infotainment systems.

Very few if any of the "built in" infotainment systems out there today have free maps.
the hd dealer said the first update is free, So I went to the navi extras website and it says I get a free update, BUT the software version is the same as the one the map has that is in the bike, so I did not even bother , NOW I am waiting to see when the new map comes out if I still get the free update?

Old 06-01-2015 | 08:49 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

The software updates on the Boom Audio itself are free (they better be, they are mostly correcting bugs).
Map updates are a different story- not sure how often they'll be offered, but it looks like they will not be free.

My 2008 Toyota Avalon still has the maps that came with the car when I bought it 7 years ago, they have release a couple versions of map updates but for the $200 Toyota wants for the new ones, I haven't taken the updates.

Would be nice if they gave them for free, but that doesn't appear to be the case

Old 06-01-2015 | 02:46 PM
joenash
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RollaMo

Originally Posted by Brewmany
The software updates on the Boom Audio itself are free (they better be, they are mostly correcting bugs).
Map updates are a different story- not sure how often they'll be offered, but it looks like they will not be free.

Would be nice if they gave them for free, but that doesn't appear to be the case
they are the FIRST UPDATE FREE!!! I have not tried it yet since the map has not been updated yet!!
Look at the release date on yopuir motorcycle it is the same one as on the website so I have not tried it yet.....usually most companies are one to two years behind on map updates ....I don't have a garmin so I can't speak for anyone who has a garmin.....
At Least that is what the dealer said and the website shows. we will see when the new map comes out!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2015 | 05:06 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain

Originally Posted by joenash
they are the FIRST UPDATE FREE!!! I have not tried it yet since the map has not been updated yet!!
Look at the release date on yopuir motorcycle it is the same one as on the website so I have not tried it yet.....usually most companies are one to two years behind on map updates ....I don't have a garmin so I can't speak for anyone who has a garmin.....
At Least that is what the dealer said and the website shows. we will see when the new map comes out!!!!!!
Not for me. When I login, I see that the updated map is $149 or $159 for the CVO map.

Old 06-01-2015 | 06:38 PM
joenash
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SecondGear
Not for me. When I login, I see that the updated map is $149 or $159 for the CVO map.
I did not believe it either, I live in and area where they are always doing construction and I drive down the road and the GPS always says route recalculating till I get back on a part of the road that was their when they made the map.
I tried to make a account I don't remember what I did but it did not work.
I went to the dealer the parts guy told me the first update was free, I told him it did not work, like i said I don't remember if I put the vin in or what, but the second time I made the account it showed what I took the picture of the computer screen of. a free update.
Only problem is the map is the same one I have in the motorcycle.
So I don't want to waste a free update, I am waiting till they come out with a new map and see what happens. Hope it is still free since I did not do a download yet????
Funny that is one of the reasons I bought the bike and it is the most un user friendly gps I have ever used.
Never know might get that garmin ????

Old 06-01-2015 | 06:44 PM
joenash
Cruiser

Maybe if enough customers complain to harley davidson they will work something out like free for ????? but you would think with all the competition they would through something in to get your business.
You don't have to get the upgraded 6.5 radio . it really is not all that great with all the bugs they are still working out. before the last up date the one before the usb stick did not work , now it works , I wonder what won't work now?