Sponsored by:

FP3 Auto Tune question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 02:46 PM
BillNich
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FP3 Auto Tune question.

I just want to be certain that I have this procedure correct.
To use auto tune with the FP3 I just select "auto tune" on the software on my phone and then go ride for about 20 minutes, then stop shut off the bike and "save" the tune so far. I do that two more times and then Flash the new tune to the bike.
Is that correct?
Until I flash the auto tuned map to the bike I have not made any changes to the current tune...correct?

thanks....

Old 05-30-2015, 02:52 PM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From their FAQ: http://fp3.vanceandhines.com/faq.html#autotune

How do I autotune?

Answer: To autotune your map, you must first select a map for a pipe similar to yours and program it into your bike. Next select autotune from the menu and “start” the process. This will make changes to your map and flash those into the bike. Now go out and ride. The more varied types of riding you can do (stop and go, steady state, uphill, downhill, low rpm, high rpm, low and high throttle angles, etc.) the better. It is possible to get a decent tune in as little as 20 minutes, but we recommend you run through one full tank of gas before “finishing”. Once you press the “finish autotune” button, your bike will be reflashed with the new settings and you are done.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,296 Likes on 529 Posts

What he said,,,,,,,,

Old 05-30-2015, 04:24 PM
stubby001
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last two auto tunes I did, I ran approx. 3/4 of a tank per run. State Highway, Backroad, Interstate, and some stop and go in town. I had a pretty good area of green cells filled.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:52 PM
BillNich
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ia2189
From their FAQ: http://fp3.vanceandhines.com/faq.html#autotune

How do I autotune?

Answer: To autotune your map, you must first select a map for a pipe similar to yours and program it into your bike. Next select autotune from the menu and “start” the process. This will make changes to your map and flash those into the bike. Now go out and ride. The more varied types of riding you can do (stop and go, steady state, uphill, downhill, low rpm, high rpm, low and high throttle angles, etc.) the better. It is possible to get a decent tune in as little as 20 minutes, but we recommend you run through one full tank of gas before “finishing”. Once you press the “finish autotune” button, your bike will be reflashed with the new settings and you are done.
I just did 3 more than 20 minute rides...and found out that it does not work just as the web-site states.
Each time you save the learned cells it flashes the new info to the bike. Apparently pressing the "finish" button just end your auto tune session and flashes the last learned values.
That was the info I was looking for...I guess I just needed to find it out for myself.

Thanks...

Old 06-04-2015, 03:17 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNich
I just did 3 more than 20 minute rides...and found out that it does not work just as the web-site states.
Each time you save the learned cells it flashes the new info to the bike. Apparently pressing the "finish" button just end your auto tune session and flashes the last learned values.
That was the info I was looking for...I guess I just needed to find it out for myself.

Thanks...
Do you push the finish button every time I need to turn my bike off, like a stop for food? Or just turn her off go eat then start back up and ride until I think I'm done auto turning then hit finish? Should I leave the bike running when I push finish? All this new stuff is a bit hard for me.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:47 PM
BillNich
Cruiser

you dont push "finish" until you are done auto-tuning. Once you push finish that auto-tue is saved in one of the tune slots.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:10 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BillNich
you dont push "finish" until you are done auto-tuning. Once you push finish that auto-tue is saved in one of the tune slots.
Thank you. I'm going to start auto turning tonight and tomorrow. I have the map that V&H told me to down load in it, runs cooler but I don't feel any performance gain. I also got rid of the cat at the same time, that may be why it feels cooler. If I cant get any kind of performance gains from this FP- 3 then it's just a wast of money. I see guys with PV-2 and S&E tuned bikes getting 10 or more hp over the stock set up. V&H told me I should get with in 90 to 95% of a good dyno tuned bike. I will find out soon.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:41 PM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

out of curiosity, how did your bike run after it flashed the auto tuned map? every time i've done it, it's almost unridable. i'm working with V&H right now to try to get it figured out, but curious if it happened to you too.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:09 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JiXeR
out of curiosity, how did your bike run after it flashed the auto tuned map? every time i've done it, it's almost unridable. i'm working with V&H right now to try to get it figured out, but curious if it happened to you too.
Fine, but it's not a auto tuned map, it's a V&H map. I have Rush 4" slip-ons, FM air kit and FM head pipe. I then called V&H and they told me what map to down load. She runs good, I don't feel any power increase and I lost some low end power. When I take off from a stop it takes a bit more rpm to get going. Same when I try to pass a car. When all was stock I had more low end power for passing and taking off from a stop. Other wise it runs good, just no extra power as I was expecting. I have no V&H parts but they said the map I got should be close. I hope this auto tune get's me some Power and get the low end power back.
Hope this helped you.

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 06-04-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: FP3 Auto Tune question.