Sponsored by:

Best intercom for 14 limited

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:19 PM
dspencer
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best intercom for 14 limited

I did a search on here but looking for HD alternatives to intercom set up. Any suggestions....j&M?
Thanks

Old 05-25-2015, 02:01 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

If you are referring to the headsets, J&M is a good alternative and their high end sets should have much better sound quality and clarity than the Harley units do. So far the Harley headsets have been acceptable to me and my wife. The main fault I have with them is that there is nothing to lock the upper cord-set to the headset body. I've gotten in the habit of checking their tightness every time I put my helmet on. They will start to crackle when playing music at higher volumes, though probably higher than is recommended for riding.

Once the VOX is set correctly I think that the HD intercom system works very well.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:13 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

The best is the Harley wired system.

Functions perfect, is seamless with the Boom, and works exactly as designed.

I don't understand the "I don't want to be tethered to the bike" crowd...
Yes, there is a wire. I can't tell it's there when I'm riding. I get off the bike, take my helmet off and set it on the seat like any other day.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:32 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Amazon.com: IMC Motorcom Half Headset HS-H140P: Automotive Amazon.com: IMC Motorcom Half Headset HS-H140P: Automotive

I ordered this headset, will be delivered tomorrow, had good reviews, will let you know how it works.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
The best is the Harley wired system.

Functions perfect, is seamless with the Boom, and works exactly as designed.

I don't understand the "I don't want to be tethered to the bike" crowd...
Yes, there is a wire. I can't tell it's there when I'm riding. I get off the bike, take my helmet off and set it on the seat like any other day.

That cord does not bother me in the slightest. In fact I don't even notice it once I'm on the bike and rolling.

It works, the price is right (included with the bike) and it fits.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

+1 On the HD headset. Just purchased another one, for Mrs. Brewman. The system does work very well with the Boom! Audio.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:49 PM
dspencer
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the HD sets right now. Seems like some noise coming thru like wind noise so I played with the vox. Where do y'all set yours at? Seems like the voice cuts out some too. Thanks for input.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:07 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by dspencer
I have the HD sets right now. Seems like some noise coming thru like wind noise so I played with the vox. Where do y'all set yours at? Seems like the voice cuts out some too. Thanks for input.
When using the Intercom w/o CB on, I turn VOX sensitivity all the way off & we use the PTT switches to engage Intercom. This prevents wind noise key-up in VOX mode & assures the Intercom remains active while talking. It also allows us to listen to music using the bike's speakers instead of the headsets w/o the music tripping the intercom VOX on/off which drives me nuts.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:15 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by dspencer
Where I set the VOX adjustment is dependent on background noise. High speed cruising on the highway I turn it up, cruising on the back roads I turn it down. If it's set too high for conditions I and my wife have to speak loudly and over enunciate to keep it from cutting in and out, too low and it mutes whatever media you are listening to if anything changes the background noise level even a little bit. I keep mine one or two "lines" from the "center" either direction depending on conditions.

If my wife's PTT button were more easily accessible I'd try turning the VOX off when not using the CB also....then I could cuss out stupid cagers without her tsk tsking me about it.......

Old 05-26-2015, 08:27 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a J & M setup with my old Yamaha Royal Star. I used it for awhile with my first Ultra. It worked fine, but one of the units broke and I used the HD setup. Really no difference.

Quick Reply: Best intercom for 14 limited