Sponsored by:

Best intercom for 14 limited

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Faulkner
I initially looked at opening up the unit and doing all the soldering there, but once I got it apart I determined that would not work. Plan B was to cut the speaker wires about 5 inches down from the unit and install the 1/8" jack to the original wires. Turned out to be rather simple if you are adapt at soldering tiny conductors.

My wife and I just came back from a 4 day ride with 3 other bikes with CB's. Bike to bike communications via CB worked just fine, as well as the on-bike intercom and the Bluetooth com via my iPhone. I tried several different styles of earbuds and decided I liked the ones with the rubber inserts that helped attinuate the outside noise. I would say I could hear 50% better with the earbuds, in fact, I had to adjust the volume down on all communications systems because they were too loud compared to the original speakers.
Any chance of you posting a "how-to" with some pics on just what you did? I'd really be interested in doing this mod too.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:04 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinch
I hope they work out for you - but let me know how you feel after you have worn them for a few hours straight. My wife & I had these, & after a while they were torture due to pain around the ears. Just not enough room in those spots for the headphone & eye glasses ear pieces.
I felt your pain, I used them from a friend on our trip to Milwaukee and back an as you say I was fiddling around my ears all the time trying to get them comfortable, they worked great but not comfortable at all.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:00 AM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,621 Likes on 8,458 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
I am going to have Sierra Electronics install there headset into my helmet. I am told that the speakers will be perfectly positioned with there install into my Shoei helmet. They charge an extra $20 for the install. I am of course buying a new system from them. I have read several post claiming the HD intercom setup was less than perfect fit on the Shoei J-Cruise. The helmet is very comfortable, I don't want to screw it up. This will be the first time I have used a headset in 25 years of riding Harley's. If I am moving over to the dark side with a face shield helmet, why not use the bikes wired functions. Doing this just for long trips.
I wear the Shoei RJ Platinum helmet and the HD headset fits perfect inside the helmet. No need for custom fitting.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:18 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a SHOEI GT-Air, there are recesses for speakers. Took a minute to find the sweet spot for the speakers, as the HD speakers are a bit larger than the recesses, but I've had them in there for a few months now, and other than "unfolding" my ears when I put the helmet on, there is no issue. The SHOEI also has relief in the padding in the temples to allow for eyeglasses.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I have a SHOEI GT-Air, there are recesses for speakers. Took a minute to find the sweet spot for the speakers, as the HD speakers are a bit larger than the recesses, but I've had them in there for a few months now, and other than "unfolding" my ears when I put the helmet on, there is no issue. The SHOEI also has relief in the padding in the temples to allow for eyeglasses.
Try Gibsons and Barnes cotton skull caps made for pilots it reduces wind noise and no more folded ears, have been using since 2005 get 6 of them will keep the helmet fresh too.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:05 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Try Gibsons and Barnes cotton skull caps made for pilots it reduces wind noise and no more folded ears, have been using since 2005 get 6 of them will keep the helmet fresh too.
Got a source?

I found them on their site, but have no idea on sizing. My helmet is SHOEI XL, somewhere in the 7 5/8 range.

9 bucks isn't bad, but their shipping is... another $6.95.

Don't know that I'm willing to drop 16 bucks just to see if I like it or not.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 06-13-2015 at 10:09 PM.