Best intercom for 14 limited

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:27 AM
HD-Gyro
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Perplexing

Chip,
I'm with you. The wireless crowd has not thought this through.

Where will the batteries be located? Hanging them on the headset? Inside the helmet or a wire to a battery pack somewhere?

If on the headset, they would have to be small and not much power storage capability. How often will they need replacement/recharging? This sounds like great fun on a 1000 mile ride. NOT! Particularly if you have a passenger and have to deal with two sets of batteries.

If I'm wearing a headset, I don't have it turned off. It's using juice the entire time. Batteries just don't make sense. If all you do is listen, it's not much power, but throw in some transmitter time and it's going to get quiet quickly.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:44 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I am going to have Sierra Electronics install there headset into my helmet. I am told that the speakers will be perfectly positioned with there install into my Shoei helmet. They charge an extra $20 for the install. I am of course buying a new system from them. I have read several post claiming the HD intercom setup was less than perfect fit on the Shoei J-Cruise. The helmet is very comfortable, I don't want to screw it up. This will be the first time I have used a headset in 25 years of riding Harley's. If I am moving over to the dark side with a face shield helmet, why not use the bikes wired functions. Doing this just for long trips.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:36 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
I am going to have Sierra Electronics install there headset into my helmet. I am told that the speakers will be perfectly positioned with there install into my Shoei helmet. They charge an extra $20 for the install. I am of course buying a new system from them. I have read several post claiming the HD intercom setup was less than perfect fit on the Shoei J-Cruise. The helmet is very comfortable, I don't want to screw it up. This will be the first time I have used a headset in 25 years of riding Harley's. If I am moving over to the dark side with a face shield helmet, why not use the bikes wired functions. Doing this just for long trips.

As strange as this may sound, I was planning on purchasing a headset for my Shoei J-Cruise helmet. I was planning on making the purchase because I could not hear my sound system at highway speeds, with the new helmet. The exhaust system actually seemed louder with the helmet on than without. On a fluke I decided to buy a set of ear plugs first, purchased NoNoise Motorsport ear plugs and they solved my problem. Sounds strange but, now I can hear my stereo at freeway speeds. I can hear my exhaust but much less. For $30 they solved my issue. I don't care about the CB or phone functions, just want to hear my tunes. This product did the trick for me.

http://www.nonoise-earplugs.com/en/products/motorsport/

Old 05-30-2015, 02:42 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
The best is the Harley wired system.

Functions perfect, is seamless with the Boom, and works exactly as designed.

I don't understand the "I don't want to be tethered to the bike" crowd...
Yes, there is a wire. I can't tell it's there when I'm riding. I get off the bike, take my helmet off and set it on the seat like any other day.

I agree with Safetyman, the wire does not affect me when riding and since I don't wear the helmet walking around off the bike, it is a moot point. I have the speakers tucked in my helmet and it is the most comfortable setup I have used. Leaving for 2000 mile trip in the morning and will stop by the dragon. Will have my wired Harley headset on.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:48 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

We also use the HD headset, although I did a recent modification. I cut off the helmet speakers from the factory Harley Davidson communications set and added a 1/8" inline stereo phone jack from Radio Shack. Now I can plug in any standard set of earbuds that I find comfortable. With a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet this works great.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:32 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,621 Likes on 8,458 Posts

The headsets that came with my 2015 Ultra Limited sounds and functions better than any I have used.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:00 PM
58sniper
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I bought the HD 1/2 helmet headset. 3rd time I wore it, the band snapped in half. Replaced under warranty. 2nd time I wore the replacement, snapped the band in the same spot. I know I've got a giant melon, but....

I will say that people couldn't tell I was on the bike when using it for the phone. I called my Skype account from the bike and left a message for myself. When I heard the recording, I was amazed at how well it sounded, considering I was doing 80 on the freeway when I left it.

But the cable never bothered me.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:31 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I am using the J&M headset I bought to use with my Yamaha Royal Star Venture; it is at least 10 years old & still functions well.

I am considering moving to a modular helmet for touring (the JM is in a 3/4 HJC), and am seriously considering having J&M do an install. I prefer my Shoei half-helmet for around town riding & listen to music through the speakers. But for riding in or leading a pack, I need the com setup & I don't like those skull headsets - they hurt my ears in short order.

I would recommend you look at J&M headsets, if that is in fact the intent of your question.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:47 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I have both the HD setup and the Sena 20s, the Sena offers the ability to connect earbuds when using the 1/2 helmet, but without spending another bunch of cash to use it with the Boom 6.5 system they are really incompatible with the bike, the batteries do last all day, but then you have to charge them which is a PIA, I have the wire HD system which I find as good or better and no batteries to charge.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

J&M last 7 years and before Moco head sets 150K miles never had any problem with wired ones only once tried some crappy wireless system because wife didn't have CB on her bike until she moved up to 08 UC.

Last edited by Punjabi Rider; 05-31-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Best intercom for 14 limited