2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to adjust brake light activation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Kilokato
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to adjust brake light activation?

Has anybody noticed how much pressure it takes to activate the brake lights?

When I'm riding I'd like to have the brake lights come on with just slight pressure so as to warn cars behind me I'm stopping. I might even want to flash my brake lights without slowing my bike down.

As it is now it takes a lot of pressure to activate them now. Just slight pressure and the brake lights will not light up.

I like to let off the gas and let the engine compression slow me down at lights etc. without using the brakes but in order for the brake lights to come on I have to get on the brakes a lot harder then I'd like.

I want to activate the brake lights without actually applying the pads to the disc. I want the lights to come on in the "free play"......i.e. before the brakes grab hold.

Any ideas or has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by Kilokato; 05-23-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:26 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Yes, if your talking about the front brake handle. You must have a 14, 15 work good. No to adjustment, it's a 1 pc switch pac, only fix is replacement. My dealer is ordering a new one but the Mo Co is running out and they are stating to go on back order. If you try to kick the cruse of with the front brake you will find the brakes will come on before the cruse gos off to. You are not alone.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 PM
davemc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're not afraid to take the switch apart, there is a place where you can add a shim to improve the brake light activation. That's what I did.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:58 PM
accordboyy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem, took it into the dealer to get it fix under warranty. Took them about half day. Oh it is the switch pack. now it works great.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:27 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by accordboyy
I had the same problem, took it into the dealer to get it fix under warranty. Took them about half day. Oh it is the switch pack. now it works great.
That's what my dealer is going to do. No way I'm taking mine apart to shim some thing on a new Bike.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Schoondog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tapping the brake will dis engage

Yes tapping the brake will disengage the cruise but I always just Roll off the throttle if I am just disengaging cruise. Usually when an officer is present and I don't want him to see any Brake lights or noticeable change in Bike geometry during a slow down. My 14 requires a bit of pressure for the front brakes to activate the lights but not so much with the rear and unless my handle bars are turned I am always using both brakes anyway.. Even with the integrated system on the Rushmore.

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Yes, if your talking about the front brake handle. You must have a 14, 15 work good. No to adjustment, it's a 1 pc switch pac, only fix is replacement. My dealer is ordering a new one but the Mo Co is running out and they are stating to go on back order. If you try to kick the cruse of with the front brake you will find the brakes will come on before the cruse gos off to. You are not alone.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Kilokato
Tourer

Ok I believe I have the brake light adjusted so the cruise control shuts off and the brake light activates.

I took the brake perch off and filed the base of the brake lever where it rides against the switch on the switch pack.

After several attempts I decided to take the lever off the perch. I then used a Mill Bastard file to file the larger flat area off the base of the lever where it makes contact with the activation switch.

It took several attempts so as not to file off too much. Now my brake lights come on with slight pressure on the lever without actually engaging the brakes.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:55 PM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing..taking it in to the dealership this weekend

Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

My new switch came in last Friday, My dealer is installing it tomorrow that is what a Warranty is for. I would never grind something that should be fixed free on the Mo Co dime. If your cruse don't kick off with out dragging the front brake, then the brake light isn't coming on ether.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:12 AM
rdm97apd
Novice
Default 2015 FLHTK rear brake light activiation

I usually tap the rear brake to shut down the cruse control. When coming to a stop, I'm usually off the front brake at about 10mph (I dont watch the speedo), and use the rear to complete the stop. I've noticed the rear brake pedal needs a large amount of pressure to activate the brake lights. I've not tore into it yet, but I might have a solution by this weekend. I dont want to take it to the stealership for this small issue, as I like to do all my own stunts. I will bring it to them for things that brake, that I did not cause. If I break something poking around on the rear brakes, then it's on my dime. If i never turn a wrench on this thing (first HD) then I wont know how to fix it.

Front brakes active the light properly, but man are they grabby! Hopefully it's a self correcting problem as the scoot gets more miles on it.

Ride Safe,
Rick

Quick Reply: Any way to adjust brake light activation?