Sponsored by:

Bought a smartphone - what can it and the infotainment system do for me

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Bought a smartphone - what can it and the infotainment system do for me

I was persuaded to come into the 21st century and got a Samsung Galaxy 4 smartphone. I like it. I am subscribed to at least 10 threads about the Infotainment system and usually read all the replies and have a general idea of what the two together will and won't do.

Without having to read back thru all 10 threads to find my answers, some of which have many pages, could someone give me a brief idea of what the two paired together will do for me sitting still and moving. I do have a Sena headset but I believe according to a few of the threads it won't work and that's fine since I wear a half helmet and know that above 30-40mph hearing the Sena is hard with a half helmet.

Some of my questions:

1. Can I see a text or at least see a notification that a new text has arrived? Moving?

2. Can I see/hear that there is an incoming call?

3. Do I have to turn on Bluetooth on my phone if I want to do its thing with the Infotainment system?

4. Do I turn off Bluetooth on my phone when I'm off the bike?

5. Anything else they might do together?

I know these questions are elementary for many of you smartphone Infotainment system users so please cut me some slack.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, yes, yes or use a cable, no.

It can read you your texts, make calls with a headset, play music saved or streaming and more.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Big_Black
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a fan of streaming music from the Pandora app or stored music on the phone.

Leaving the Bluetooth on uses a tad more battery on the phone. If youre not concerned with that leave it on. It will automatically connect to the bike. Thats is if you want to go the wireless route.

If you just plug into the bike and leave it in the cubby slot dont worry about the Bluetooth

Old 05-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I have the s5 when I get a text I can have it read over the speaker system while riding. I have been wondering if there is a default volume setting for that. I can have the volume turned up loud on music then go to my text messages and when it plays over the system it's quiet until I turn it up. I have not explored it but IF there was a default setting for the volume that I could change to be louder for text that would be nice. By the time I turn the volume up loud enough to hear it the message is already over because they're generally fairly short. To be really honest though 8 out of 10 times I don't even bother turning bluetooth on at the end of the day it's just not that important for me to be getting texts while I'm riding.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 PM
cruzrtwdgt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turn on blue tooth just so when they do text me, they get the auto-reply that I'm out riding and they aren't.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

On SGS you are very limited to use the Infotainment system to the fullest without wired head set to hear everything on the go, but you still can't text back even with the voice recognition feature, normally I'll call back if it's important after listening to the text massage on my Limited.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:48 AM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will want to
your new device with the bike. That's what allows it to connect via bluetooth.

Don't have to, it will connect via cable too, but it is nice to simply keep phone in your pocket to have access to features.

Regarding other stuff, music, podcasts, audiobooks you have on the phone, you'll be able to listen to on the bike. Using a cable, phone will charge when ignition is on. Bluetooth does use a little more battery, but on my new phone not much, not near as bad as my older phone.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:24 AM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it can drive you crazy too!!