Sponsored by:

Ultra Limited Header Install Advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:49 AM
seabee_biker
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ultra Limited Header Install Advice wanted

I am anxiously awaiting my latest order from Fuel Moto. I will be installing V&H Dresser Duals, Twin Slash Round slip-ons, and VO2 intake to use with my PV-2 that I have from a previous bike (i bought the license to use it on multiple bikes). I always opt to install the parts myself and it is usually pretty straightforward. My question is for anyone who has done this on a Twin Cooled bike. It looks to be a really tight space to access the front exhaust flange. Is it necessary to remove the front lower fairings? If so, does anyone have any tips or tricks to doing this? If it wasn't for the cooling system hiding in there, I would have them off already in preparation. I just don't want to damage anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:51 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

I would highly recommend buying the service manual. It will tell you everything that you need to know for almost everything.

I always do my own work and constantly refer to the manual - even if only for torque values. I'm picking one up for my 15 SGS today with my HUGE parts order.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:10 AM
seabee_biker
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a bad idea. I'm taking my bike in today for the recall service, so I will pick one up while I'm there. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:14 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by seabee_biker
Not a bad idea. I'm taking my bike in today for the recall service, so I will pick one up while I'm there. Thanks.
Good deal, best $60 you'll ever spend on the bike. Good luck with the install!

Old 05-19-2015, 09:21 AM
TwistedRider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seabee_biker
I am anxiously awaiting my latest order from Fuel Moto. I will be installing V&H Dresser Duals, Twin Slash Round slip-ons, and VO2 intake to use with my PV-2 that I have from a previous bike (i bought the license to use it on multiple bikes). I always opt to install the parts myself and it is usually pretty straightforward. My question is for anyone who has done this on a Twin Cooled bike. It looks to be a really tight space to access the front exhaust flange. Is it necessary to remove the front lower fairings? If so, does anyone have any tips or tricks to doing this? If it wasn't for the cooling system hiding in there, I would have them off already in preparation. I just don't want to damage anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Used a 1/4" ujoint and different length extensions 3,6,9" tight but doable.

Last edited by TwistedRider; 05-19-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

You don't need to take the lowers off, it's a little tight to get the front flange nuts on and off but no problem. Follow the instructions that come from V&H.
If you are going to do maintenance yourself and enjoy learning and trouble shooting the bikes systems I would also recommend getting the Electrical Diagnostic Manual and Parts Manual along with the Service manual.
As an example the charging system, in the Elect. manual you will find a description and operation then a series of tests to determine proper operation or state of the stator, battery, voltage regulator or rotor. The Service manual then gives step by step procedure to R&R the part. The parts manual not only gives the part numbers but I often use it to get another view of the part I'm working on. Also having the part #'s saves a ton of time and frustration waiting for someone to look up the part.
Kutter on line had the best price for the manuals and free shipping for orders over $100, I think all 3 were near $120.
Good luck

Old 05-19-2015, 10:28 AM
cmtaylor
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Torque Specs...

Just did the same on my Ultra Limited Low last week... Like said above... Tight but doable leaving the lower in place... Also manifold nut torque specs are 100 - 120 Lbs... I would check torque again after a few hot/cold cycles on the hardware...

Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

....and the manual specifies a tightening SEQUENCE.

Something like rear lower, forward upper, rear upper, forward lower, (flange nuts) or something like that. Yes I was able to get on both forward flange nuts, used a universal and extension on one of them. I went with 1/4 inch made it alittle easier.

My bike only had 600 miles on it when I did mine so I left the oem gaskets in and they sealed fine. Gaskets can be a PIA.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by cmtaylor
Just did the same on my Ultra Limited Low last week... Like said above... Tight but doable leaving the lower in place... Also manifold nut torque specs are 100 - 120 Lbs... I would check torque again after a few hot/cold cycles on the hardware...

Inch pounds!!!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
bpav16 (11-26-2022)
Old 05-19-2015, 11:18 AM
namojom
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's 100-120 INCH lbs

Quick Reply: Ultra Limited Header Install Advice wanted