Sponsored by:

Kappa 62.11 with Stock and Flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:41 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Kappa 62.11 with Stock and Flash

I have just ordered the Kappa speakers and want to install with the stock head unit and just the flash. My radio now is "loud" enough and I don't really need more volume, just want to clean it up a bit. Admittedly I will likely get a RF amp in the very near future but was wondering if anyone had done Kappas with the stock unit and just had the flash to eliminate the problems wtih the radio adjusting the sound.

Also, I was planning on doing the install where the speakers are inside the box rather than outside so they fit better. Is there any other way? I see people on here having to use weather stripping to seal the speaker to the inner fairing...is this a good way to install or can I get different speaker covers? I thought that the speaker was hitting the fairing so no cover will fix that, right?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain
Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

I installed the 62.11i's and they are a big improvement over stock, and even when the outside perimeter of the speaker surround does touch the boom speaker gills. Doesn't appear to affect the sound at all. To make a very long story short, I installed the speakers inside the pod at first, the speaker magnet hits the pods inter ribs. Fixed that and the speakers still sounded like poop. Added weather stripping as some has said works, still junk. Mounted them on the outside of the pod, countersunk the mounting screws, added a small amount of polyfil to the bottom of the pod and they sound great. If you're not adding an amp now there is no need to flash your head unit. And the speaker surround touching the grill/fairing? I've had them installed now for a couple of months and no problem, they still sound great, clear and loud. I'd compare my current sound to the Boom II with an amp!

Old 05-13-2015, 01:33 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sunnyday91360
I installed the 62.11i's and they are a big improvement over stock, and even when the outside perimeter of the speaker surround does touch the boom speaker gills. Doesn't appear to affect the sound at all. To make a very long story short, I installed the speakers inside the pod at first, the speaker magnet hits the pods inter ribs. Fixed that and the speakers still sounded like poop. Added weather stripping as some has said works, still junk. Mounted them on the outside of the pod, countersunk the mounting screws, added a small amount of polyfil to the bottom of the pod and they sound great. If you're not adding an amp now there is no need to flash your head unit. And the speaker surround touching the grill/fairing? I've had them installed now for a couple of months and no problem, they still sound great, clear and loud. I'd compare my current sound to the Boom II with an amp!
So, it's just the grill that touches? I was under the impression that the speaker was hitting against the inside of the fairing. I have been looking all over this site for info about this install and just finding bits and pieces but nothing substantial. I only want to install these one time, even if I have to buy spacers or mounts, that's ok...just need to know what to get.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My hands on experience is the tweeter hits the inside of the Boom grill, they have to be pushed out some.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rocket67
So, it's just the grill that touches? I was under the impression that the speaker was hitting against the inside of the fairing.
Oh yes it does touch the fairing at the very top too, about 1/8 inch. Evidently there is still enough surround to do it's job. I don't blame you one time is almost too much. I've had them off and on about 8 or 9 times and I am now a pro at those three bolts at the bottom of the pod. Now you want more info go to the audio section here. I think there are about 160 pages related to the install of speakers and amp for '14 & '15 bikes. And a lot of them refer to the installation of the 62.11i's and the PBR300x2. You'll learn a lot before you start your install.

Last edited by Sunnyday91360; 05-13-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sunnyday91360
I think there are about 160 pages related to the install of speakers and amp for '14 & '15 bikes. And a lot of them refer to the installation of the 62.11i's and the PBR300x2. You'll learn a lot before you start your install.
Yeah, having to filter through 160 pages sucks but I did dig up some info.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:42 PM
cash64
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, having to filter through 160 pages sucks but I did dig up some info.

You will need new grills for those speakers because the stock grills are not deep enough.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:25 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by cash64
You will need new grills for those speakers because the stock grills are not deep enough.
Stock grills are stretchy cloth, not metal. I don't think that they will be a problem unless the plastic frames rub around the edges. At this point I have just ordered the speakers and will figure out what I need to do once I get a chance to work on it myself. Too many inconsistencies and trying to sort the posts out is more work than just doing it. If I need new grills I will just run it without until I get new ones.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain

Stock grills are stretchy cloth, not metal. I don't think that they will be a problem unless the plastic frames rub around the edges. At this point I have just ordered the speakers and will figure out what I need to do once I get a chance to work on it myself. Too many inconsistencies and trying to sort the posts out is more work than just doing it. If I need new grills I will just run it without until I get new ones.
Many have tried using the stock grills and have tried removing some of the plastic, no go. Harley boom grills still touch the tweeter, they're concave, so with a five minute flattening they work. Vtwinaudio also sells speaker grills that will work for about $44.

I used my thumbs to flatten, but there are other ways tried... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...or-kappas.html

Last edited by Sunnyday91360; 05-14-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:59 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Stock grills will NOT work...not even close.. I have the V-twin grills. Fit nice. Had to egg the mounting holes out a bit and snip some of the mesh away from where the speaker mounting screws were. I just didn't like the "CS" on the cycle sounds grills or I would of bought those. Call or Email Brian at V-twin and tell him you need the deeper recessed grills for the Kappas.

Quick Reply: Kappa 62.11 with Stock and Flash