Sponsored by:

Shock it to me

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shock it to me

I'd like the shock engineers out there to educate me about something: Why does the 2015 RGS have a spring pre-load adjustment on the left rear shock but none on the right rear shock?

If, indeed, adjusting the pre-load on the left shock affects the ride/load capacity/handling of the bike then what exactly is the purpose of the non-adjustable right rear shock?

Does the right shock essentially become a fancy springed connecting strut between the swingarm and bike frame?

Can they get away with this asymmetry because of the relatively narrow width between the two shock mounting points on the swing arm?

Is the mechanical function of the swingarm being unevenly influenced (twisted?) between the pivot point and the rear axle by the asymmetric design of the two different shock types...or is this assumed twist non-existent due to the close proximity of pivot point, shock mounting points, and general robustness of all the components involved?

If this is the case, then why do some other high-end non-mono shocked bikes have spring/compression/rebound adjustments on both rear shocks? Why does Ohlins, Progressive, et al offer both sides adjustable?

Would there be any benefit if I installed an OEM left spring-rate adjustable shock on the right side of my RGS as well?

Last edited by nuttbaggerr; 05-07-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Dinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take off both of your saddle bags. There is a tube that connects both shocks.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer

I recently flipped my right shock....there was no connecting tube of any kind observed or disconnected. It's a 2015 RGS.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

My wife's 15 limited Low has that setup and the right shock I can compressed with my hands, IMO left side drive belt has lot stress on the shock and brake has opposite effect on the left shock and that combo works together better. The air shocks have advantage of shifting air from one side to another to offset the pressure.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:23 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinger
Take off both of your saddle bags. There is a tube that connects both shocks.
He has the HD adjustable, not the air shocks. No tube.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:22 PM
ACLazer
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Each shock actually has its own function. The left side controls the rebound which can be adjusted. The right side controls the compression. If you look at the springs, they are also different in stiffness to balance out the way the shocks work.

LOVE mine !!

Last edited by ACLazer; 05-07-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:28 PM
Dinger
Road Master

Originally Posted by FinalShot
He has the HD adjustable, not the air shocks. No tube.
So do I. I was cleaning under the bags and noticed a tube. I could be wrong, but I will check it out the next time I'm rooting around.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:08 AM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dinger
So do I. I was cleaning under the bags and noticed a tube. I could be wrong, but I will check it out the next time I'm rooting around.
Color me curious: if there's a tube, I'm going to guess that it's used for equalizing something between the two shocks. My question is, what is it equalizing between the two shocks...air pressure?...fluid pressure?...???

Just to be absolutely clear, my bike is a 2015 Road Glide Special aka FLTRXS. Do we have the same model? I didn't see a tube a nipple or anything that'd connect the two shocks....except the bike's swing arm and frame by default

Last edited by nuttbaggerr; 05-08-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:18 AM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer

Originally Posted by ACLazer
Each shock actually has its own function. The left side controls the rebound which can be adjusted. The right side controls the compression. If you look at the springs, they are also different in stiffness to balance out the way the shocks work.

LOVE mine !!

I love mine, too...I'd probably love it even more if it had a more suspension travel without losing its sporty handling

Old 05-08-2015, 06:00 AM
Mray81
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ACLazer

LOVE mine !!

This!

Quick Reply: Shock it to me