Sponsored by:

Solo racks pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 04:12 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Solo racks pic

My RGS is in permanent config for solo riding (solo seat w/backrest, no passenger pegs). I recently found myself wanting/needing a little more cargo carrying capacity than the two saddle bags were allowing me to have. I really, REALLY like the detachable chopped tour pak set up, but don't have the arms and legs and both nuts to give for a set up like that for now. So I'm going for the rack and a pack route until then.

Any in the wilds pics of HD's solo rack on member's bikes out there for me to view? I'd like to know just how high off the rear fender the rack sits once it's docked. The pics in the catalog doesn't show what I want to see. It's HD solo rack part # 54213-09A.

Are there other solo racks from other manufacturers out there as well? I searched Motherwell racks, but couldn't determine if any if it's racks were compatible with my 4-point docking system.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2015, 04:50 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

HD Solo on a FLHX. (14) Hope this helps

New Rack by t_davis45, on Flickr

Old 05-06-2015, 05:10 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer

Thank you for the quick post, hfm....much appreciated! Do you happen to have a side-profile shot of your set up? I'd like to know how high off the rear fender the deck sits when it's docked. It's a little thing, I know...but I like the aesthetics of how the bike looks to me in its solo config with the filler panels in place of the docking hardware...and I'm hoping the sleek load deck of the rack doesn't sit too high when it's not covered by a soft trunk or pack. If there was a long cover to hide the wart-like docking lugs when the rack's not there, then I'd just pop them on and be set and not have swap out the docks and filler panels every time the mood swings...which at times can be at a moments notice

Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How about this view

Old 05-07-2015, 05:31 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

The Motherwell racks don't use the docking system.The front tabs slip under the nuts on the bolts that your solo seat is bolted too,and a screw goes through the rear of the rack and into the threaded insert on your fender.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

the round bar racks are hard to tie stuff/packs to always sliding off been there done that. What I did 2nd time around is I bought the tour pack rack and then I bolted a soft pack to the rack. you might be better off in the long run if someday you want a tour pack just buy the rack the first time.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Old 05-07-2015, 11:13 AM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer

Originally Posted by Deer Stalker
How about this view

Thanks for the pic angle, DeerStalker...that gives me a better look. It looks a tad high for my tastes, but not a deal breaker...might have to mod it IF modding is even possible. Overall it looks good, thanks!

Old 05-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Knowing everyone has their own opinion: if it were me I would rather go for a fender bib & latch on one of those hard side round bags when I needed more room, as I dislike the look of fender racks.

This is kind of a small picture & it's the RK but I couldn't find anything larger:

Nancy has one for her soloed 1100 V Star (although a different brand that is no longer in business). No rider backrest or sissybar; we run the front straps to her passenger pegs & the rears to the turn signals. Never had a problem with it. They come in a few different sizes. You can get then at Biker's Friend & Lazy Rider - although Lazy Rider tells you to have a sissy bar.

Last edited by Kevinch; 05-07-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:02 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sam2010
the round bar racks are hard to tie stuff/packs to always sliding off been there done that. What I did 2nd time around is I bought the tour pack rack and then I bolted a soft pack to the rack. you might be better off in the long run if someday you want a tour pack just buy the rack the first time.

GREAT OPTION! since I hope to get a chopped TP one day...buy once, cry once. Plus...the plan has always been that when I get to my destination(s) I'd detach to go local exploring with a lighter bike and hotrod look intact, leave the rack/pack in the room, then reattach for the journey still ahead. Nice set-up with future options to be had.

Quick Reply: Solo racks pic