Sponsored by:

Solo racks pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:09 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Helen Wheels
When I was younger and stronger and more resilient to the elements , your ride and set-up was all I needed (and indeed that's what I did, but not on a Harley). Fender bibs, clear film to protect the paint, multiple bungees and straps, etc.,...I'll leave the bohemian traveling style those more resilient than me. Very nice hotrod scoot, btw

Old 05-07-2015, 12:16 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer

Originally Posted by dansflhti
The Motherwell racks don't use the docking system.The front tabs slip under the nuts on the bolts that your solo seat is bolted too,and a screw goes through the rear of the rack and into the threaded insert on your fender.
I like how these hug the fender...and if the fender can support 100~150lb passengers on a pillion, it certainly support 50~100lbs of low CG gear on a similarly attached pack/rack. It'd be nice if the rack was as wide as the fender for better pack weight spread support.

Last edited by nuttbaggerr; 05-07-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:06 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kevinch
Knowing everyone has their own opinion: if it were me I would rather go for a fender bib & latch on one of those hard side round bags when I needed more room, as I dislike the look of fender racks.

This is kind of a small picture & it's the RK but I couldn't find anything larger:

Nancy has one for her soloed 1100 V Star (although a different brand that is no longer in business). No rider backrest or sissybar; we run the front straps to her passenger pegs & the rears to the turn signals. Never had a problem with it. They come in a few different sizes. You can get then at Biker's Friend & Lazy Rider - although Lazy Rider tells you to have a sissy bar.
Thanks for the rigid-core barrel bag links. I really like these, too....high-capacity and lower CGs for the amount carried . I'd like them more if they had a tight external pocket that'd allow it to slip entirely over and enclose my backrest to give it more positive anti-lateral movement and additional heavy-loaded bag position retention when accelerating hard...which I've been known to do with this fun torquey bike