Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015 | 07:37 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD-Gyro
I don't know what they are. I'm hoping they are not breakdown of the chrome plating. Too small to be bugs or road tar. They are evenly distributed, too small to get a photo of. Like a windshield that has just gotten wet from a light mist except they are gray colored.

The dots appear to be everywhere there is chrome; pipes, head, crash bars, starter, primary cover, air cleaner, etc. So it is not road splash or rain related. They may also be on the paint, but aren't visible because the paint is not the mirror that the chrome is.

They reduce the shine of the bike, because there is a difference where I polish and where I have only washed. It looks good where it has been washed, but it really sparkles where it has been polished.
The rocker boxes are chrome-plated aluminum. Personally, I use chrome polish on all chrome surfaces.

Old 05-03-2015 | 07:39 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Try 0000 steel wool, but keep it wet with Windex. On the center console, just be careful around the paint... I've never had an issue.

The key is to keep it WET...

Old 05-03-2015 | 07:50 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HD-Gyro
I don't know what they are. I'm hoping they are not breakdown of the chrome plating. Too small to be bugs or road tar. They are evenly distributed, too small to get a photo of. Like a windshield that has just gotten wet from a light mist except they are gray colored.

The dots appear to be everywhere there is chrome; pipes, head, crash bars, starter, primary cover, air cleaner, etc. So it is not road splash or rain related. They may also be on the paint, but aren't visible because the paint is not the mirror that the chrome is.

They reduce the shine of the bike, because there is a difference where I polish and where I have only washed. It looks good where it has been washed, but it really sparkles where it has been polished.
I get similar 'spotting' on some of the chrome parts after sitting all winter in an unheated garage. I assume it's probably from condensation, but it will damage the chrome if left unattended.

I use a product called Bombs Away metal polish on both chrome and aluminum. It's non abrasive and easy to use, but any non abrasive chrome cleaner/polish should work.

http://www.captainrichardsbest.com/i...&product_id=19