Ultra Gets Hit

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ultra Gets Hit

I had to share this.

A riding buddy wanted to stop at a local sports bar to say "Hi" to the barmaids.
All three of us pulled into one spot, I was last in and angled more across the spot with the tour pak facing the parking lot.

We're on the patio when we heard someone yelling "HEY STOP", we looked at the lot and there was a pick-up truck with a camper top backing out of a spot heading towards the spot we were all in and he didn't hear "STOP".

He hit my tour pak on the left corner, on the Radio Antenna mount and rubber below the mount above the light lens. He pushed it a good foot towards a brand new Lexus GS. Oh what went through my mind. The jiffy stand skidded a foot across the blacktop, but never retracted, I think he may have kind of lifted the bike, reducing the weight on the jiffy stand. A fella walking in, started banging on the side of the truck.
No serious damage and I was thrilled the bike didn't fall over, the driver gets out "Geez I didn't even see anything behind me" No kidding!
I figured I got lucky, it didn't fall or hit the Lexus and since there was just a minor scuff mark and dirt on the ant. mount and rubber I let it go and he left shaking.

Last edited by 01XLH; 05-02-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:32 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

You can shove them all over Hell's half acre on the jiffy without if folding.

More weight on it is better.

Glad there was no major damage... I may have had some stronger words for the driver of the pickup truck.

Yeah, it's just a bike. But what if it were a child standing there? If he don't pay attention in s crowded parking lot, he never pays attention.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:35 AM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I would have flipped. But as long as no damage no big deal. I had some one merge into me from a stop sign as I was coming to a red light with a cargo van no damage I yelled gave him the watch were you driving rant and whent on my way

Old 05-02-2015, 09:39 AM
01XLH
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
You can shove them all over Hell's half acre on the jiffy without if folding.

More weight on it is better.

Glad there was no major damage... I may have had some stronger words for the driver of the pickup truck.

Yeah, it's just a bike. But what if it were a child standing there? If he don't pay attention in s crowded parking lot, he never pays attention.
Years ago the Sporty stand retracted when I just leaned against the sissy bar, so I assumed it could have happened here, but OK thanks.

Ha-ha @ "stronger words". I didn't get a chance to say anything, there were another half-dozen riders letting him have it and I was admittedly paying attention to the tour pak.
He did apologize and asked if I needed anything, I figured maybe I'd get some good karma in return someday.

Originally Posted by 97 dyna lowrider
Wow I would have flipped. But as long as no damage no big deal. I had some one merge into me from a stop sign as I was coming to a red light with a cargo van no damage I yelled gave him the watch were you driving rant and whent on my way
I had a situation 3 years ago on the 05Glide. Some woman was going the wrong way down a one-way parking lot aisle, while texting and didn't see me. I had no choice but to lay it down, luckily I was barely moving. She swerved around the bike and kept going. I called her a few well chosen words, picked up the bike (talk about running on adrenaline), parked the bike and went in the store. I was standing in line when she came up and started screaming at me, I laughed at her and she replied "Fxxx You". I asked her "Have you looked in a mirror lately? I wouldn't Fxxx you if you were the last women on Earth, you ugly bxxch". She walked away and called the police claiming I threatened her.
Lucky for me, a customer that saw what happened in the lot and a worker in the store collaborated my story.
So after that I try to stay calm.

Last edited by 01XLH; 05-02-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:42 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 01XLH
I figured maybe I'd get some good karma in return someday.
Sporty stands are completely different than touring stands... Harley got the stands right on the touring bikes.

Sometimes I fail at keeping my thoughts in my head, and maybe that's why karma isn't so kind to me....

Old 05-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Clump
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 55 Posts

Glad that worked out! I thought I'd be reading a horror story.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:20 PM
sft-tale
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 97 dyna lowrider
I just can't believe people don't proof read their posts before they hit send. My 6 year old grandson makes more sense than this.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,823 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Sporty stands are completely different than touring stands... Harley got the stands right on the touring bikes.

Sometimes I fail at keeping my thoughts in my head, and maybe that's why karma isn't so kind to me....
Exactly, so in your case OP be grateful that the pick up didn't lift your bike when he pushed it toward that Lexus.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:09 PM
01XLH
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Exactly, so in your case OP be grateful that the pick up didn't lift your bike when he pushed it toward that Lexus.
Based on the scratch in the blacktop, I'm not sure the stand was providing sufficient resistance to keep the bike from going forward anymore, but kept if from going down. I think the bike not hitting the Lexus was just luck. The driver stopping, the bike far enough away and I'm not sure what the front wheel being locked played in it. Keep in mind this all happened in less than 5 seconds, but at the time, it felt like a minute.

I wasn't doubting Chip's word, but I had to test it.
Sitting in the drive, bike not running and on the stand. I feel I was prepared to hold on if the stand folded and the scoot would start to go down.
I left the front wheel in the locked position. I pushed forward and the stand moved "back" as the bike moved forward [insert four letter words here] but then it locked and I couldn't get it to go anymore.
That's good to know.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:00 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 01XLH
I was standing in line when she came up and started screaming at me, I laughed at her and she replied "Fxxx You". I asked her "Have you looked in a mirror lately? I wouldn't Fxxx you if you were the last women on Earth, you ugly bxxch". She walked away and called the police claiming I threatened her.
I just don't know what I'd do if a crazy **** woman walked up to me cursing, screaming and "F You'ing" me, the gentleman in me would say just back off and take it all, the "equal rights for all" man in me would say slap her right in the effin' mouth, same way you'd handle a dude doing the same thing. Pretty sure the gentleman would prevail but hope I never have to cross that bridge!

Last edited by IUOE ROB; 05-02-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultra Gets Hit