Sponsored by:

Primary noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:10 PM
Jim NT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary noise

So with only 350 miles on my 15 Sgs I'm getting noise from the primary case after the bike is warm, sounds like the chain is loose. Brought the bike to the dealer and they say it's normal. Has
anyone else heard of this noise and if it's normal?

Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 PM
MKennedy616
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same noise when the bike would get hot when it was new, 500-1k. Dealer said the same thing to me. It seems that it has faded over time. I know have nearly 5k. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Jim NT
Advanced

The dealer did say it usually goes away over time, and also suggested that I use a thicker primary oil when I have my 1000 service. It does get loud and it is hard to get use to.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,948 Likes on 4,144 Posts

Run Harley's formula + in there. That is what is called for now and this applies to previous twin cams. However, think the CVO 2015 calls for SYN3 in it for some reason. Do not run too thick just to hide a little noise. What you are hearing is just the out of sync noise from Harley's uneven firing order. The cylinders fire opposite of each other but not every 360. The compensator is designed to smooth the impulses of this but their faces are not machined. So they make a little uneven noise. You only hear it at idle. Just ignore it if the man at the dealer thinks it's OK. If not, it's going to drive you nuts and when the tin men get through here, good luck doing that.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-01-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 PM
gandydancer
Advanced

Had same problem---thicker primary oil has helped----

Old 05-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Jim NT
Advanced

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Run Harley's formula + in there. That is what is called for now and this applies to previous twin cams. However, think the CVO 2015 calls for SYN3 in it for some reason. Do not run too thick just to hide a little noise. What you are hearing is just the out of sync noise from Harley's uneven firing order. The cylinders fire opposite of each other but not every 360. The compensator is designed to smooth the impulses of this but their faces are not machined. So they make a little uneven noise. You only hear it at idle. Just ignore it if the man at the dealer thinks it's OK. If not, it's going to drive you nuts and when the tin men get through here, good luck doing that.
What I hear is not at idle I hear the noise as I let off the throttle, the faster I am moving when I let off the throttle the louder it is.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:43 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Both my 11 King and now my 14 King do that. I think part of it is the compensator slapping back and forth. Some times it sounds more like chain slap. What ever it is I think it is normal for a Harley. I just drive her and enjoy.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,948 Likes on 4,144 Posts

The compensator can wind up about 30 degrees in either direction. I can bang mine pretty hard if I really get on it and come off the clutch going thru the gears. Not sure how high an rpm you are coming off throttle at or how hard you are coming off but that just may be a transmission gear noise. Noises are really difficult to pin point since that can migrate through steel and aluminum. Obvious you are not going to be able to listen to it with a 2 ear stethoscope. What you describe just could be the exhaust tone. Even though you come off the throttle, the throttle by wire controller feathers the throttle body butterfly to give the engine air to burn the remaining fuel in the system to reduce exhaust pollution. This feathering give a different tune to to the pipes. (you can watch it in the tac if you kick it in neutral and let the throttle completely off)

Old 05-04-2015, 08:09 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Agree with the formula+. Noise from my primary was so noisy a dealer replaced the compensator, but the noise didn't go away. Then they put formula+ in the primary instead of syn3 and the noise is dramatically less. I only use formula+ now. I also found the clutch seems to grab better with formula+.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:14 PM
dwl25
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

You also might want to try to get the primary adjuster to self adjust by running it up to around 4000 rpm in 1st gear and let it decelerate to around 1800 rpm. Do it 2 or 3 times and see if that doesn't calm that noise down.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Primary noise