Sponsored by:

...oh deer...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015 | 08:56 PM
nuttbaggerr
|
Tourer
Default ...oh deer...

Do deer whistles work? And if they do, where do you mount them on an RGS without it looking like and a tacked on tacky thing and still be effective? Thanks!

Old 04-30-2015 | 09:15 PM
PeteF
Road Captain

No they don't work. I'm familiar with a large police agency that tried them several years ago in an attempt to save a boatload of money preventing deer wrecks. Nope waste of money.

Old 04-30-2015 | 09:19 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

The people that use them believe they work.
They will give you the story that, they have never hit a deer with a vehicle that had a deer whistle.

Most don't think it makes any difference one way or the other.

I have never used one, and I have never hit a deer.
And living in rural Missouri, there are plenty of them around.

Old 04-30-2015 | 09:38 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member

When I checked into this several times, the answer has always been even know what people are not sure.

I would think after the deer whistle has been out this long, and if it did work then it would be definitive that it worked.

Since there is no raving over how great they are and something this important, I would guess the answer is no they really do not work.

It is interesting that there is no "official" 3rd disinterested party that ever came out with any study on this matter.......... it being so important and all.

BuzzCap7

Old 04-30-2015 | 09:39 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Whistles don't work.

My old company spent thousands buying them. And then found their truck/deer incident rate went WAY up. Removed them, and the incident rate came back down.

Old 04-30-2015 | 09:42 PM
Zeus55
Road Master

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Whistles don't work.

My old company spent thousands buying them. And then found their truck/deer incident rate went WAY up. Removed them, and the incident rate came back down.
They do work... they attrack them

Old 04-30-2015 | 09:43 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain

My sister had deer whistles on her mini van when she hit a deer, got the van fixed and then hit another one. I told her she must have them on backwards and they are calling the deer.

Old 04-30-2015 | 09:50 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
It is interesting that there is no "official" 3rd disinterested party that ever came out with any study on this matter.......... it being so important and all.

BuzzCap7
Actually there have been several scientific tests of deer behavior around deer whistles.

A good write up is here:
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/ar...-deer-whistles

If you don't want to read the whole thing, jump to the conclusion at the bottom of the article that basically says they don't work.

Old 04-30-2015 | 11:52 PM
gandydancer
Advanced

Deer---kill them all and feed the hungry----

Old 05-01-2015 | 01:15 AM
nuttbaggerr
|
Tourer

Ok...got it....they don't work. I had a deer come down fast at an angle/parallel from my eight so I slowed down thinking that itd jump across in front of me, but just as it hit the pavement, it jumped in back of me instead, kicking like crazy...and I'm like WTF???? That coulda hurt, but it was not meant to be lucky me...good size, too! On a larger scale, I cant even imagine being hit in the face by a moose knuckle kicking me in the face....wait....whut?????

Quick Reply: ...oh deer...