2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does your clutch feel after the latest clutch recall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:58 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
The problem is when Harley molds the cases for the reservoir they used an acid the etch the inside of the reservoir and when they cleaned them before putting them together all the acid was not removed. It had actually embedded itself inside of the aluminum and then it caused the brake fluid to bubble and this is what causes the problem.
Service manager at my local dealer said it's a bad o-ring that outgasses and causes bubbles.

Anyone else have a service manager explanation?

Old 05-10-2015, 10:53 AM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

I had the recall done yesterday. I think it feels firmer.
It just feels like a more positive friction point, where before it felt more spongy never consisent.

I'm liking it alot.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:34 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Has anyone else noticed fluid weaping around the gasket after the service? I had my recall done 2 weeks ago and since then I have had a wet look around the gasket. I wipe it dry but it comes back.

Also, the new gasket does not look like the one on the brake master cylinder (tucked in betweet the bottom and top cover). The new gasket sticks out a little all around the top cover. Is this what you have?

Old 05-10-2015, 07:00 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,217 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by lhgdale
Has anyone else noticed fluid weaping around the gasket after the service? I had my recall done 2 weeks ago and since then I have had a wet look around the gasket. I wipe it dry but it comes back.

Also, the new gasket does not look like the one on the brake master cylinder (tucked in betweet the bottom and top cover). The new gasket sticks out a little all around the top cover. Is this what you have?
Yes and yes, the gasket does stick out like yours. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the old gasket before the recall to see if it stuck out or not.

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Mine feels slippery.

I had my clutch done last Saturday. Today, I go to take the bike out of the garage and the clutch lever is wet with hydraulic fluid. I tried tightening the two screws, but they were as tight as they would go. So, I guess it's back to the dealer.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:15 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Yes and yes, the gasket does stick out like yours. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the old gasket before the recall to see if it stuck out or not.
This can't be right? Is it one of those live with it things? I don't think the old gasket was like the new one. I think it was like the brake master cylinder but I'm not 100%.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:33 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
Had the recall done yesterday and I had no issues before but the service Manager said they had noticed some of the bikes on the floor having the issues after they sat for awhile. The problem is when Harley molds the cases for the reservoir they used an acid the etch the inside of the reservoir and when they cleaned them before putting them together all the acid was not removed. It had actually embedded itself inside of the aluminum and then it caused the brake fluid to bubble and this is what causes the problem.
They will pull the system down and wash out the reservoir with different solutions to get it clean and rebuild and flush the system and then your good to go, hopefully.
Mine does feel stiffer than before and catches a little quicker. Wow, that almost doesn't sound right.
The "different solutions" is a 10/90 mixture of isopropyl alcohol / Distilled Water. See page 2 of 4 of Service Bulletin M-1402A.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V216-1122.pdf

Old 05-12-2015, 07:11 PM
kentuckyarms
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't notice any change at all.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Got mine done this afternoon no difference feels good just as before.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:19 PM
ehale3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No change everything is as it should be

Old 05-12-2015, 09:36 PM
kevinckb3
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

ehale3 how do you lift your bike on the 2 post lift
Thanks!

Quick Reply: How does your clutch feel after the latest clutch recall?