Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 without upgraded A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:25 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

You're over thinking this. It's a cost effective drama free way to make your bike run better and richer.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
You're over thinking this. It's a cost effective drama free way to make your bike run better and richer.
I like that!!! Very well stated!!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:11 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I prefer "analyze to death"!

Ok, I should have the FP3 and slipons today, let the fun begin...

Old 04-25-2015, 06:16 AM
2014streetglide
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck and let us know how it turns out and take some pics!

Old 04-25-2015, 07:57 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by polbit
I prefer "analyze to death"!

Ok, I should have the FP3 and slipons today, let the fun begin...
Lol - that's what you have us for. The FP3 thing has been probably the most examined topic on the Rushmore section of this forum.

I read, and read, and read until finally I just ordered one. I laughed at myself for over thinking it after installing it and going for a ride. It was so easy and made an immediate improvement.

Sure, some tuning wizard probably can shoot some holes in the performance of any auto-tuner. But my belief is, for the other 99.9% of us, they are the ticket. That coming from someone who had the full Screamin Eagle tuner and multiple dynos on a previous bike.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:18 AM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 130 Posts

As my sig states, I use FP3 with the stock AC and the bike runs great. Have not even auto tuned yet. I just picked the pipe I have as the base map.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:31 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by polbit
Well, here's the problem though - the auto-tune only works with the closed-loop - narrow-band O2 sensors. At WOT, you have to rely on the pre-programmed map, with no adjustment. I'm just wondering, on a '15 RK, how much more air can a stage 1 A/C provide? And will it change the mix to be too rich? ...
The above, in bold, is a common belief, however, it is not accurate.

The HD ECM sees what is going on in closed loop and records it, runs it thru an algorithm, and then writes it to a table for adjustment in open loop. This is commonly called Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT), because it adjusts the open loop based on what it's seeing in closed loop. (that is why the V&H tech said after a tank of gas or so it would adjust...it takes a bit of riding for the LTFT to catch the open loop up with the closed loop)

You should be fine with the FP3....Could be better with a Power Vision, but not going to do any damage with the FP3, and you should experience a benefit, both at cruising and in open loop.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 04-25-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:18 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom

The HD ECM sees what is going on in closed loop and records it, runs it thru an algorithm, and then writes it to a table for adjustment in open loop. This is commonly called Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT), because it adjusts the open loop based on what it's seeing in closed loop. (that is why the V&H tech said after a tank of gas or so it would adjust...it takes a bit of riding for the LTFT to catch the open loop up with the closed loop)

You should be fine with the FP3....Could be better with a Power Vision, but not going to do any damage with the FP3, and you should experience a benefit, both at cruising and in open loop.
Excellent info - much appreciated.

Question - in what way would the PV2 be better than the FP3?

Thx

Old 04-25-2015, 04:23 PM
polbit
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

Kevin, thank you for the info, definitely learned something new!

Old 04-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts

FWIW I have catless headers, stock mufflers, stock A/C. FP3 "stock bike" downloaded and the bike runs great, noticeably improved over stock.

Quick Reply: FP3 without upgraded A/C?