Sponsored by:

Stage 1 and warranty issues..denied?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Well I am about to find out here real shortly. The dealer is almost here with a trailer to take it back and check the motor. They installed the Hi-Output mufflers, but I installed the Dresser Duals and added an FP3. I flashed back to the stock settings and took the FP3 off the bike. From everything I've been reading on here and how I explained it to the tech, I more than likely have a lifter issue. I have 2026 miles on the bike and hopefully this will be fixed quickly. First time dealing with a new vehicle and warranty issues.
You will have NO problem. Completely unrelated to pipes and tuner.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Anything on the bike is from Moco and street legal will not void the warranty or least that's according to my good friend local HD dealer.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
When I bought and had my initial flash done with my SEPST, the dealer not only RO'd the tuner under warranty, I got it in writing and he signed it on the receipt.
Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Anything on the bike is from Moco and street legal will not void the warranty or least that's according to my good friend local HD dealer.
It is good to have a dealer in your corner, no doubt.

Funny part is...

It is NOT up to the dealer what is warrantable and what is not.

Typically, they can raise eyebrows with parts labeled "not for highway use"...

But if those parts aren't responsible for the failure, it cannot come into question.

If you buy high compression pistons, build, polish, shave and port the heads, put some hot-*** cams in, then scissor the stock crank... yeah, that crank isn't going to be covered.

But if the stereo poops. It should still be covered.

The way I see it, anything I put on, I hold the warranty on. When I had an issue with my headpipe, I never considered taking it to the dealer, nor have I considered doing it for the part that pipe rubbed.

I am an adult, making adult decisions, and willingly accept the consequences of those decisions.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Well I am about to find out here real shortly. The dealer is almost here with a trailer to take it back and check the motor. They installed the Hi-Output mufflers, but I installed the Dresser Duals and added an FP3. I flashed back to the stock settings and took the FP3 off the bike. From everything I've been reading on here and how I explained it to the tech, I more than likely have a lifter issue. I have 2026 miles on the bike and hopefully this will be fixed quickly. First time dealing with a new vehicle and warranty issues.
Can't they tell the computer has been flashed even if you put it back to the original setting?

Old 04-22-2015, 11:46 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
Can't they tell the computer has been flashed even if you put it back to the original setting?
There are those that believe it can be traced and I'm one of those. I used to play with Corvettes and tuning was big in that playing field. GM knew immediately if a stock tune had been changed and then reverted back to stock and warranty claims were in fact denied. Tuning caused dropped valves which in turn grenaded the motor. These were $20,000 engines then too; 427 LS7's. As one guy said on this thread, you burn a piston from a lean condition, HD probably will deny a claim if you've tuned beyond a stage 1 configuration. These stage 1 tunes are safe and the aftermarket tuners are most likely safer than the dealer flash anyway because of the enrichment that they provide in contradiction to EPA mandates to run so lean.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:57 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I've always said this and it usually holds true, your warranty is as good as your dealer. If your dealer likes mods then you will be covered. If they don't then it may be a up-hill battle !

Old 04-23-2015, 07:07 AM
LynnSG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your local dealer does the work you shouldn't have much of a problem especially if you purchase everything from them. Ask their recommendations on all of it. Then make certain that both of you are on the same page on what's covered and what's not if something goes wrong. They are in the parts and labor selling business for a reason. Somebody has to pay for those big bright lights and buildings.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:34 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 532 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
I've always said this and it usually holds true, your warranty is as good as your dealer. If your dealer likes mods then you will be covered. If they don't then it may be a up-hill battle !
This is the way I've always found it to be as well...

Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Hicksjay
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default voiding warranty

Sometimes I think we miss the point.
Dealers want you to do your upgrades through them and discourage you doing it anywhere else- thats just good business as they make more money and know that it is done "right" (to Harley standards.)
Shops virtually no incentive to deny a warranty as they get paid to perform warranty work and in general, they want to keep customers happy.

Occasionally it makes sense to deny a warranty but in general it doesn't right?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:28 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

They (dealer) want $$. They don't really care if it is yours or the MOCO. If the work YOU did can become a liability to the dealer, then they can deny it. But I don't see that happening too often unless you are self performing major engine work or doing some pretty out there modifications. Most "off the shelf" mods would not make a bike "dangerous" and a liability to the dealer if they performed work on your bike after the mod has been done.

Simple business really. Now what I said above doesn't take into account ahole dealers or service managers. They may just be power hungry or ****** and turn you away just for any reason, just because they can. If that is the case, take your business elsewhere. Gotta love a free-market.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 and warranty issues..denied?