Sponsored by:

Static on some phone calls

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 PM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Static on some phone calls

Does anyone know how I can get Harley to repair or replace the 6.5 Boom Box on my '14 Limited? Since I got it last year there's intermittent static on phone calls. It's so bad that it makes the phone completely impossible to use. I never know when it's going to happen and the only fix is to shut the bike down and wait a while, then turn it back on and hope that the static isn't there. I don't talk on the phone much, but I want to know that I can if I choose to.

When I brought the bike in today for its 5K service they did not seem very hopeful that they could troubleshoot the problem. I agree - it doesn't happen very often. But there's clearly a problem. It's not my phone either - it has happened with 2 different phones. The service guy thought maybe I was in a bad area. Uh, no - sometimes when I turn the bike on there's horrible static when I try to use the phone. Usually there isn't. It has nothing to do with where I am, cell service, etc. Bluetooth music is perfectly fine all the time, too.

If they can't fix it I want a new radio. I paid way too much money for this to not work fairly reliably.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:26 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had that problem too. Most of the time it's fine but occasionally I get this ear splitting static with a call. If I hang up and call right back, I'll get more static but if I wait a bit the call is then fine. I've not been able to figure out what causes it.

I have noticed that the wire connector at the helmet needs to be securely connected or I will get a different kind of static on calls. It's weird because music/intercom plays perfectly.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 PM
skyhawk85u
Tourer

I'm not the only one!! Yeah, that's exactly right, although I think I need to actually shut down to get it to work again. I could be wrong. This has happened with both iPhone 5s and iPhone 6. What phone are you using?

The cord can be fiddly at times but I don't think mine has ever caused static.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 w/VW service & I've NEVER had a static issue. See a lot of complaints from iphone users.

Just sayin.....

Old 04-20-2015, 10:37 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 w/VW service & I've NEVER had a static issue. See a lot of complaints from iphone users.

Just sayin.....

I have a Sprint Galaxy S4 so we can't blame Cupertino for this one. My phone works really well with the Boom. The static thing has only happened a handful of times over the last year.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:59 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you've tried this... Next time you get it, start wiggling the connection at the tank and the one on the helmet. This may or may not make it worse but could eliminate or confirm it's with your headset and not the boom. Just a thought....

Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer

This isn't an iOS vs Android thing. It's not static from the cable, either. It's something in the Boom itself, just on the occasional phone call.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:17 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhawk85u
This isn't an iOS vs Android thing. It's not static from the cable, either. It's something in the Boom itself, just on the occasional phone call.
I was just trying to add levity.

I really think, from past experience with phone/BT headsets, it may not even be a boom issue, but rather a BT interference issue?

Old 04-21-2015, 07:24 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer

Well, I WAS concerned that it was a phone thing, or an iPhone issue. But since it's doing the same thing on my second phone it's definitely the Boom, not my phone.

The strange thing, to me, is that it's ONLY an issue with (some) phone calls. Music and other bluetooth functionality is fine. Actually it's only incoming sound on the phone call, too - the other person can hear me just fine. And the static is very obviously the other person's voice all distorted (it goes away when they aren't talking.) I dunno - weird...

Old 04-21-2015, 07:55 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I highly recommend trying a different headset. I had the same static issue. I then tried my wife's headset and the static was gone. I replaced the headset and haven't had any static issues since then.

Quick Reply: Static on some phone calls