Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Static on some phone calls

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:31 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've given up hope since I started this thread in 2015, almost exactly 2 years ago. It sucks that there is such a huge flaw but no one at Harley seems willing to get to the bottom of it. I'll be off warranty soon, too.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:58 AM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
I too have had the dreaded static, and like everyone else, periodically. Started in 2013 when I first got the bike and has done it every now and then up to this last release...it has not hit me with this last 0.4, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm hoping with every iteration of software it goes away. IMO, it's NOT a hardware issue but software related.

If someone gets it corrected, be sure to let us know!
I have updated to the latest 1.24.0.4 and can confirm they have not fixed it. I have had it happen twice on two different days in the last few days since I updated to the new software version and it seemed worse where on one call the person on the other end was having a hard time hearing me and usually I'm the only one that hears the static when the other person talks.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM
crump13
Tourer

I called HD customer support yesterday and reported the issue. I advised it is an intermittent issues and it will be hard to duplicate. They advised they had not heard of the problem (surprise surprise) before. Seems like anyone you call for support on an issue has never heard of the problem. They open a case for me and advise I call my local dealer to talk to the service dept. I called them and advised of the conversation I had with HD customer support and they told me that if I'm in the area when it is happening and can get to the dealer they will have a service technician come out and witness the issue. They can't do anything until they experience it for themselves. So all I can do is hope this happens again when I have a chance to take it to the dealer.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:21 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

MoCo cracks me up. A company in extreme denial...LOL. If they don't witness it, is does not exists...This is the result of not vetting or fully testing a software product before release.

If they truly know about an issue and don't simply acknowledge it in an honest way...they are frigg'n dirty *** liers vs just owning up to a problem and moving on.

If we are truly beta testers for this bug infested BOOM!, there are issues that will NEVER be resolved...because they are very intermittent...thus they DO NOT exists (in the eyes of the mother ship).

It's a shame they just WEAR us down to the point we just live with it. But what the heck, MoCo has gold mine, we got the shaft, but brand loyalty will surly suffer as a result.

My thought is MoCo REALLY DOES KNOW ABOUT THESE PROBLEMS, but will not make ANY public acknowledgement through advise of council...just another modern company of bean counters and lawyers. Wonder if Harley and Davidson are spin'n in the grave.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:46 PM
john_mon
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i installed .4 on Sunday, went to use the phone today got the static when the person on the other end talks. So i guess it is still not fixed

Old 04-11-2017, 07:10 PM
crump13
Tourer

Originally Posted by john_mon
i installed .4 on Sunday, went to use the phone today got the static when the person on the other end talks. So i guess it is still not fixed
No it is not. Call Harley customer support and report it. I bet they say they have never heard of the issue.

Here is their number 1 800 258 2464

Everyone that has experienced this issue should call and report it and I bet they will continue to say they have never heard of this issue.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:57 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

UNPLUG while you're on the "Therapy Machine"???? I have the Boom system, and of course it let's me know when a call is coming in, if my BT is connected. If I'm on a long ride, (NC to say Illinois or Michigan for example) I tell the wife, call, I'll ignore, call again right away, I'll pull over and call back if it's important. But I have no desire to chat while on my bike,,

Old 04-14-2017, 09:06 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer

It's definitely not fixed. It's also not related to how your headset is plugged in or unplugged. It has nothing to do with your phone either (I've personally had it happen on several different iPhones.) There is nothing we can do to troubleshoot this and Harley has refused for 3 years now to acknowledge that there is a problem.

One other sort of interesting thing which I've mentioned before - music plays fine, it's just phone calls that are screwed up.

Finally, that's great for people who don't use the phone on their bikes so this isn't a problem for them. Doesn't help the rest of us who want or need it, though. I don't really need to defend myself, but last night I was meeting my daughter. I had just pulled in and shut down when she called but I couldn't talk to her because the Boom hadn't shut off yet and intercepted the call, static and all. Also, I love the freedom of being able to ride to my clients and get away during the day sometimes. But I need to be accessible by phone, otherwise I can't ride. When it works, my clients don't even know I'm on a motorcycle - everyone wins. When it doesn't work I'm screwed.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:42 AM
crump13
Tourer

Originally Posted by skyhawk85u
It's definitely not fixed. It's also not related to how your headset is plugged in or unplugged. It has nothing to do with your phone either (I've personally had it happen on several different iPhones.) There is nothing we can do to troubleshoot this and Harley has refused for 3 years now to acknowledge that there is a problem.

One other sort of interesting thing which I've mentioned before - music plays fine, it's just phone calls that are screwed up.

Finally, that's great for people who don't use the phone on their bikes so this isn't a problem for them. Doesn't help the rest of us who want or need it, though. I don't really need to defend myself, but last night I was meeting my daughter. I had just pulled in and shut down when she called but I couldn't talk to her because the Boom hadn't shut off yet and intercepted the call, static and all. Also, I love the freedom of being able to ride to my clients and get away during the day sometimes. But I need to be accessible by phone, otherwise I can't ride. When it works, my clients don't even know I'm on a motorcycle - everyone wins. When it doesn't work I'm screwed.
I agree this isn't an issue for those that do not want or desire to engage in a phone conversation while riding and for that I wouldn't expect a useful response to this thread from them.

For those of us that do use this feature that HD has included in the BOOM system and has advertised the BOOM system with the ability to send and receive phone calls via the BOOM system, it should work 100% of the time. When it works it is great, no one is the wiser that I'm riding when they are talking to me. When getting the static from the person's conversation on the other end of the call it is impossible to have a productive call and then the "feature" of being able to receive phone calls via the BOOM is not working as advertised. There is clearly an issue and HD is not recognizing it. It is frustrating that HD is taking this stance.

I will still try to get my phone to act up and take it in to the dealer if I can get it there while the static is happening but until then nothing will happen.

The following users liked this post:
skyhawk85u (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:46 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer

Originally Posted by crump13
I agree this isn't an issue for those that do not want or desire to engage in a phone conversation while riding and for that I wouldn't expect a useful response to this thread from them.

For those of us that do use this feature that HD has included in the BOOM system and has advertised the BOOM system with the ability to send and receive phone calls via the BOOM system, it should work 100% of the time. When it works it is great, no one is the wiser that I'm riding when they are talking to me. When getting the static from the person's conversation on the other end of the call it is impossible to have a productive call and then the "feature" of being able to receive phone calls via the BOOM is not working as advertised. There is clearly an issue and HD is not recognizing it. It is frustrating that HD is taking this stance.

I will still try to get my phone to act up and take it in to the dealer if I can get it there while the static is happening but until then nothing will happen.
Exactly right. They sold us a system that is clearly broken and they take no responsibility for it. At some point you'll get it to the dealer when it's not working, but I'm pretty sure they won't be able to do anything. There's really nothing at the dealer level for them to troubleshoot. At least maybe they'll tell Harley about it, but since they won't acknowledge that anyone else is having the problem it still won't get fixed.

I've pretty much given up and just hope for the best. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I still find it really odd that music is flawless but phone calls aren't. I know they're different parts of bluetooth but I figured they're work roughly the same. <shrug>

Quick Reply: Static on some phone calls