Sponsored by:

Static on some phone calls

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 12:09 AM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhawk85u
It sits in a RAM mount on my right handlebar. The thing is, music is always perfect via Bluetooth. It's ONLY phone calls and Siri where the ear-splitting screeching sometimes happens. Also, I eliminated the Harley wired headset as part of the problem - it happens when going to the bike's speakers too. And this has been happening with more than one iPhone and every version of the Boom software I've used.
Hey SkyHawk, Did you ever get anywhere with this? It's happened to me a couple more times over the last two weeks. I've switched phones - used to have a S4; now have a Note4 - and it happened with both. It's a boom thing, not a phone thing.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:32 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondGear
Hey SkyHawk, Did you ever get anywhere with this? It's happened to me a couple more times over the last two weeks. I've switched phones - used to have a S4; now have a Note4 - and it happened with both. It's a boom thing, not a phone thing.
No luck. It's happened to me with a couple different iPhones. It's definitely the bike and 1.19.1 didn't fix it. It's very intermittent and affects only phone calls. Bluetooth music is fine. It's not the headphones or wires either. It happened when I had the phone through the bike speakers too.

I have a feeling Moco doesn't even know that this is a problem and I have no idea how to report it to them. It just doesn't happen very much.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:58 AM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Has anyone found a fix for this? This was happening to me on occasion but seems like it is becoming more prevalent. When it happens I get terrible crackling and static when the person on the other ends speaks. It doesn't happen when I speak and they don't hear anything but whenever they speak it is ear blowing static. I tried switching to the external speakers so it is not my headset. It happened with my J&M wired headset as well as the Sena Freewire I have now. This seems to be something in the BOOM system. I'm going to call HD support tomorrow to report the problem since it is getting more consistent.

If anyone has found a fix I would love to know.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Opossum
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skyhawk85u
Ah, that's what I hoped too, SeconGear. But it was happening on 1.17.4. Last weekend I upgraded to 1.18.3 and it's still happening. Really, I've changed just about everything except the unit itself and the headset. I was hoping the dealer would talk to Harley about it and hopefully find that it's a known issue, but I'm not holding my breath. Does anyone know if it's possible for us to report this to Harley directly?
Is your phone plugged in to a power port when it happens? Could be somethin like a ground fault???

Old 04-09-2017, 01:21 PM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Opossum
Is your phone plugged in to a power port when it happens? Could be somethin like a ground fault???
No it is bluetooth to the boom system only. I am only using the boom system for the radio and no navi and get this bad static when a call comes in. I am not over tasking the boom system resources so not sure why this is happening. Again it has been happening for a while across several firmware updates but recently been be coming more frequent and is becoming mor annouying and frustrating.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:17 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by crump13
No it is bluetooth to the boom system only. I am only using the boom system for the radio and no navi and get this bad static when a call comes in. I am not over tasking the boom system resources so not sure why this is happening. Again it has been happening for a while across several firmware updates but recently been be coming more frequent and is becoming mor annouying and frustrating.
I've had this happen since I bought the bike. To clear the static, I've had to shut off the bike for a bit and hope it clears.

I used to think it was moisture but I don't think that's the issue. It's like there's a short but I don't know why it's only an occasional issue that goes away by turning it off. You'd think hitting a bump would case the short to come and go but lasts until to cut the power.

With as many people affected, it's likely it's a design issue with Boom.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:59 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer

I never resolved this. Never know when it might happen. It has happened with several different iPhones though, always Bluetooth and not connected to anything else. My dealer would not deal with it since they couldn't recreate it.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:57 AM
mjmanna
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

I have had this issue since my 2014 Limited was new. The static only happens occasionally but music or the comm system work fine. Happened on my iPhone 5 and 6, tried different head sets and cords. The static will clear if you wait for a few miles or stop and turn off bike. This happens fewer times in recent months. Have had static right at the dealer service door, shut bike down and restart - no static. Can't fix something that isn't broke. Frustrating!

Old 04-10-2017, 08:03 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer

That's mostly my experience too, but mine doesn't seem to clear up unless I shut off the bike and the the Boom turn off (which takes a few more minutes.) I don't think I've had it clear up by itself. It's a PITA but when I'm going on a big ride with other people I'll try the phone first, make sure it's ok. If not, I have to turn the bike off for a few minutes, then try again to make sure I don't get caught riding with the phone malfunctioning.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:21 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

I too have had the dreaded static, and like everyone else, periodically. Started in 2013 when I first got the bike and has done it every now and then up to this last release...it has not hit me with this last 0.4, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm hoping with every iteration of software it goes away. IMO, it's NOT a hardware issue but software related.

If someone gets it corrected, be sure to let us know!

Quick Reply: Static on some phone calls