Best way of using the gps system

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by gwellis
HD Ride Planner also Exports a GPX file directly to your thumb drive? Not sure what you meant.
While HD Ride Planner exports to GPX format, it can be useful to "fine tune" that GPX file to clean up extraneous/unwanted turns. Basecamp produces a clean route internally that probably won't require a "fine tune". Most of these route planning packages export directly to GPX format. Some "play" better with the 6.5 system better than others. That's why I use Route Converter as a fine tune interface & load its' output to my 6.5 system.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 PM
gwellis
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hammz
While HD Ride Planner exports to GPX format, it can be useful to "fine tune" that GPX file to clean up extraneous/unwanted turns. Basecamp produces a clean route internally that probably won't require a "fine tune". Most of these route planning packages export directly to GPX format. Some "play" better with the 6.5 system better than others. That's why I use Route Converter as a fine tune interface & load its' output to my 6.5 system.

Using HD Ride Planner
I start out with all "marks" being destinations. After the route is created, I right click and change them to Waypoints. I am able to eliminate a lot of the "marks" as the route is now established. I use the ZOOM function to assure that my "marks are accurate to eliminate any issues stated above. No conversions needed. To each his own, Grant.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:10 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Using HD Ride Planner
I start out with all "marks" being destinations. After the route is created, I right click and change them to Waypoints. I am able to eliminate a lot of the "marks" as the route is now established. I use the ZOOM function to assure that my "marks are accurate to eliminate any issues stated above. No conversions needed. To each his own, Grant.
Yup. We each find what works best for us. No right or wrong, just different & what each of us finds works best for us.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:32 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Using HD Ride Planner
Me too.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:56 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

HD Ride Planner also Exports a GPX file directly to your thumb drive? Not sure what you meant.
I meant that it also exports a compatible .gpx file just like Ride Planner does. IMO Garmin BaseCamp for all of it's faults, is better mapping software than Ride Planner. I've used Ride Planner and it does work, but it tends to add a lot of U-turns and side trips if you are not extremely careful about how you set down your way-points.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Using HD Ride Planner
One possible problem with that approach is that the GPS unit software calculates the route from way-point to way-point on the fly. If you eliminate waypoints your GPS may route you differently than the route you originally intended. The route shown in your mapping software is not "established" as far as the GPS unit on the bike is concerned. All the bike software "sees" is a list of waypoints.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:30 AM
hal174
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Importing a Route

Sorry to jump in this post - but I am hoping you guys can help. I know I being stupid - so nothing new there.

I want to load a route into the GPS after saving it from Ride planner, where I have included a number of waypoints. So far I have only ever used a final destination, so have not used the Trip function on the GPS.

When I attach the USB stick and import the file - do I select All?

When I have done this and look at the Trip menu to start my ride - I see lots of entries, so I guess I just click on the file name that I saved and it loads the full route with waypoints, and I ignore the other entries?

I know I have not explained this very well - but I am confused as now when I look in the Saved area I have duplicate numerous starting points, an end destination - with that name. I think I need to start again and rethink what I am doing.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 AM
emu309
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Only select the route

Originally Posted by hal174
Sorry to jump in this post - but I am hoping you guys can help. I know I being stupid - so nothing new there.

I want to load a route into the GPS after saving it from Ride planner, where I have included a number of waypoints. So far I have only ever used a final destination, so have not used the Trip function on the GPS.

When I attach the USB stick and import the file - do I select All?

When I have done this and look at the Trip menu to start my ride - I see lots of entries, so I guess I just click on the file name that I saved and it loads the full route with waypoints, and I ignore the other entries?

I know I have not explained this very well - but I am confused as now when I look in the Saved area I have duplicate numerous starting points, an end destination - with that name. I think I need to start again and rethink what I am doing.
Only select the route, this normally is the second option.

The other possible selections are waypoints and fragments of the route which you probably will not need or want to save. Make sure you have the most current update (1.18.3) installed to eliminate route fragments.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing you need to know is that the route you pick on HD Ride Planner is not necessarily the same route your GPS will use when you plug in your stops. The only way to guarantee you take the same route is to add waypoints along the route. Using the waypoints along with your stops will force the bike's GPS to use the route you chose.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
One thing you need to know is that the route you pick on HD Ride Planner is not necessarily the same route your GPS will use when you plug in your stops. The only way to guarantee you take the same route is to add waypoints along the route. Using the waypoints along with your stops will force the bike's GPS to use the route you chose.
This is true BUT: I've had the GPS change my route even with waypoints set & it would do goofy things like loop me on side streets to hit a waypoint on the main road.

I haven't tried it on the new update, but to be honest it would happen occasionally on my Garmin too, only not nearly as strange as what the GPS on the Harley would do.

Quick Reply: Best way of using the gps system