2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack luggage rack on an Ultra Classic ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015 | 10:12 AM
472viper
|
Road Warrior
Default Tour Pack luggage rack on an Ultra Classic ?

I guess they left the rack off the TP of the Classic to save money ? Or to distinguish it from a Limited ? I like the sleek look, but I sure do miss the saddleman bag I had on the rack of my old TP.

Anyone added the rack to an Ultra Classic TP ? I guess it would look like a Limited with an antenna missing, LOL.

Old 04-15-2015 | 11:15 AM
Copyless
Supporter

Originally Posted by 472viper
I guess they left the rack off the TP of the Classic to save money ? Or to distinguish it from a Limited ? I like the sleek look, but I sure do miss the saddleman bag I had on the rack of my old TP.

Anyone added the rack to an Ultra Classic TP ? I guess it would look like a Limited with an antenna missing, LOL.

They left a lot of things off of the newer models (the CB antenna being one of them) vs. the 13' and back Ultra's, but the rack was only on the limited or CVO, and Yes, I have added the Air Wing Rack with the Light on my '10 ultra #79179-08 light sold separately.

Old 04-15-2015 | 11:27 AM
Betteroff
Cruiser

I just mounted the Kuryakyn rack to mine. I like it better than the Harley rack. It was very easy to do myself and i love the look.

As for the antenna. I installed the hidden antenna from J&M. It was $46 on Amazon and works great. I purchased a pack of 1/4" vacuum hose caps from Oriely's and covered the antenna stud on the tour pack. It looks real sharp now with the rack and no wire whip sticking up!

Old 04-15-2015 | 03:20 PM
speedyrob
Advanced
Default Premium rack

I just bought a 2015 ultra classic and I added the premium rack which is the same as the one on the limited.

My advise if you decide to do the job yourself is to start with small 1/16 drill bit and move up in size in small increments. The instructions say to use the 1/16 then go for full size hole. I found that the bit would grab and pull through chipping the paint right around the hole, this is hidden though by the rack washers.

Old 04-15-2015 | 03:24 PM
stevep48
Cruiser

I added the black Air Wing last week and I am not sure why but the surface dimpled at each mount point and the paint around the real holes has a few 1/16" paint cracks now...I have an inch pound TQ and stayed below the max recommended TQ spec suggested in the instructions.
I noticed this after an 890 mile ride past Saturday.
I did back all off just a bit..hope they don't paint crack any further.
Black wing looks great on blackened cyan

Old 04-15-2015 | 03:29 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Super easy job. I put a little masking tape down where the "legs" will sit. I draw a circle around the legs on the tape with a sharpie then drill the 1/16 hole in the center of the circle. The tape also helps keep the paint from chipping.

Nice looking bike!

Old 04-15-2015 | 03:34 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Vernal
Super easy job. I put a little masking tape down where the "legs" will sit. I draw a circle around the legs on the tape with a sharpie then drill the 1/16 hole in the center of the circle. The tape also helps keep the paint from chipping.

Nice looking bike!

I added the luggage rack to the tour pack on my Street Glide, and did the same as you.
No paint chipping that way.

Old 04-15-2015 | 04:29 PM
speedyrob
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevep48
I added the black Air Wing last week and I am not sure why but the surface dimpled at each mount point and the paint around the real holes has a few 1/16" paint cracks now...I have an inch pound TQ and stayed below the max recommended TQ spec suggested in the instructions.
I noticed this after an 890 mile ride past Saturday.
I did back all off just a bit..hope they don't paint crack any further.
Black wing looks great on blackened cyan
How much weight did you carry on the rack, if any?

Old 04-15-2015 | 04:33 PM
speedyrob
Advanced
Default tape

Originally Posted by RollaMo

I added the luggage rack to the tour pack on my Street Glide, and did the same as you.
No paint chipping that way.
I used 2 layers of exterior blue tape, I did not have paint chipping, what I had was the brand new bit actually grabbing and pulling through instead of drilling, this cause part of the plastic of the lid to chip out, taking paint with it. That is why for the rest of the holes I stepped up the bit size.
Be careful, no problem as it was hidden and sealed with clear silicone.

Old 04-15-2015 | 04:39 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

It's simple...

Blue Painters tape.

I laid a couple layers down, then measured, then set the rack on and marked where the legs actually were, then measured some more. When I was happy...

To town with the drill....

(This was on my '11 FLTRU)

Quick Reply: Tour Pack luggage rack on an Ultra Classic ?