2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack luggage rack on an Ultra Classic ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015 | 04:42 PM
stevep48
Cruiser

Originally Posted by speedyrob
How much weight did you carry on the rack, if any?
None yet, I was by my lonesome and the tour pak bag held everything I needed....2 weeks with my grand youngens.
I maybe wrong about them being paint cracks...may be chips.
Blue tape used...pilot holes..looked close at the finished holes and did not see anything irregular...o well crap happens

Old 04-15-2015 | 05:13 PM
Copyless
Supporter

The paint cracking/chipping problem is most likely a paint problem, as in, some of the bikes have had paint issues, I'm not sure that stevep's problem is actually related to the rack, it may surface in that area, but I'm not sure it's just from the rack.

I installed the Air Wing on my bike, and probably tightened the screw to 55 in/lbs or so, and definitely have put close to twice the weight on it, surprised it has not fallen thru the lid, but it hasn't and I don't think it has any paint damage.

If allowing the drill to grab (which is caused by trying to drill the hole too fast or too much force, just allowing the drill to be under it's own weight can be too much force in a soft object like the TP) and damage your paint is a concern then the best option is a step bit. You can drill the 1/8" or whatever hole and then put in the step bit and drill to the desired size, without allowing the bit to grab. The painters tape, or whatever tape you choose is always a necessary procedure anytime drilling is done to plastics, fiberglass, etc..

Old 04-15-2015 | 05:30 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Vernal
Super easy job. I put a little masking tape down where the "legs" will sit. I draw a circle around the legs on the tape with a sharpie then drill the 1/16 hole in the center of the circle. The tape also helps keep the paint from chipping.

Nice looking bike!

Yes do it that way, I have done two the same way no problems.

Old 04-15-2015 | 05:54 PM
stevep48
Cruiser

Just looked at the instructions on line..60 to 84 in pounds..I went 70.
Also on the top of the lid where the posts mount...the area around the posts are "pulled in, dimpled" just enough to see if looking close.
Think I found my mistakes...drilled up from inside the lid...pilot and last hole...not down from out side.
And ya the last drilled holes the bit grabbed....dang I am a bit sick

OP...I never meant to high jack your thread...sorry bout that.
Was relating my mistakes to help others

Old 04-15-2015 | 06:34 PM
Copyless
Supporter

Originally Posted by stevep48
Just looked at the instructions on line..60 to 84 in pounds..I went 70.
Also on the top of the lid where the posts mount...the area around the posts are "pulled in, dimpled" just enough to see if looking close.
Think I found my mistakes...drilled up from inside the lid...pilot and last hole...not down from out side.
And ya the last drilled holes the bit grabbed....dang I am a bit sick

OP...I never meant to high jack your thread...sorry bout that.
Was relating my mistakes to help others

That will do it almost every time if not every time.

Old 04-15-2015 | 07:12 PM
jimmy1439
Tourer

I put the Air Wing Rack on mine. I like it better than the plain one.

Somebody asked about weight. I had about 15 lbs on it for two trips totaling just over 7000 miles with no issues.

Old 04-15-2015 | 08:15 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain

For those of you who haven't done this yet there are 4 small circles molded into the inside top of the tour pak where the holes go. By blue taping the outside of the top you should be able to drill the pilot holes from the inside and finish by drilling from the outside.

Old 04-15-2015 | 08:24 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I had a similar experience drilling out the hinges on a tour pak and used super glue to keep the cracks from growing, it worked for me.

Good Luck

Old 04-15-2015 | 08:29 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
For those of you who haven't done this yet there are 4 small circles molded into the inside top of the tour pak where the holes go. By blue taping the outside of the top you should be able to drill the pilot holes from the inside and finish by drilling from the outside.

Thanks for sharing, I think the first one I did had a template that to me was worthless. I just set the rack on top and would do a few quick measurements and mark and drill. This takes a lot of the guess work out.
Thanks

Old 04-15-2015 | 08:42 PM
BTFD55
Cruiser

[QUOTE=SafetyMan;13921261]It's simple...

Blue Painters tape.

I laid a couple layers down, then measured, then set the rack on and marked where the legs actually were, then measured some more. When I was happy...

To town with the drill....

Ditto on this also, just take your time and make sure to add some clear silicone to the inside of each hole to waterproof. No way I was going to pay the dealer to do it,but it is a little nerve racking drilling 4 holes in a brand new lid.

Quick Reply: Tour Pack luggage rack on an Ultra Classic ?