Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the kill switch - mandatory?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:57 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Question Using the kill switch - mandatory?

OK, so I rented a '15 limited a week ago and the person who showed me the features on it was somewhat adamant about using the kill switch to turn off the engine first, and then turning off the ignition (key) switch, then reversing the procedure to start it.

I've never in my life used a kill switch on any bike I've ever owned, regardless of the brand, to routinely kill the engine and I not once did I remember to use that procedure when I turned the rental bike off and everything seemed to work just fine and as expected. For the record, I WOULD have used that procedure if I had remembered too, since it wasn't my bike.

Surely, just turning off the key-switch can't hurt anything, otherwise cars would have one. Am I wrong?

The fact that that person knew next to nothing about the bike and its systems and seemed to be reciting everything from rote memory gives me the feeling that I'm right, but I thought maybe checking with the experts here on the forum might prove otherwise.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=jpooch00;13913098]OK, so I rented a '15 limited a week ago and the person who showed me the features on it was somewhat adamant about using the kill switch to turn off the engine first, and then turning off the ignition (key) switch, then reversing the procedure to start it.

I try to use the kill-switch every time, never had a bad experience ether way...but have read that the a high idle issue will result if the engine is not at idle when the key-switch is turned of..i have not tried it my self.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:22 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I am one of the guys that use the kill switch to turn the bike off.

For me, it is easier to turn off the bike with my hands on the bars and my finger on the kill switch - instead of removing my hand and turning the ignition key switch.

So, for me, it was just safer and easier. Still, to answer your question - if you can safely turn the bike off with the ignition switch, there is nothing wrong with that

The following users liked this post:
brokefootkenny (12-09-2022)
Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Here are 19 threads on kill switches:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/searc...rchid=28978220

I looked through some of the threads, and the only rational reason I saw for using the kill switch, is that you are covering the brake and clutch, when you use it. So it is a little safer than taking your hand off to kill with ignition switch.

I just kill switch out of habit.

Last edited by Ron750; 04-13-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I can almost guarantee that the insistence to use the kill switch is insurance related. As stated the riders hands never leave the bars to kill the motor. I never use the kill on a HD anymore but that doesn't make me right, it's just a habit I have due to using the kill one time and leaving the ignition on and ruining the battery. So now the ignition gets shut off to kill the motor because I am apparently too stupid to remember to do that after using the kill.

WorkForIt (12-08-2022)
Old 04-13-2015, 10:15 AM
casbar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No option, on my 2014 CVO RK there is no ignition switch, only the kill switch. When the bike got delivered, the kill switch was faulty and wouldn't switch the engine off. Spent 5 weeks having to stall the bike to switch it off Took that long for a new switch to be delivered to the UK. Felt a right numpty.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I can almost guarantee that the insistence to use the kill switch is insurance related. As stated the riders hands never leave the bars to kill the motor. I never use the kill on a HD anymore but that doesn't make me right, it's just a habit I have due to using the kill one time and leaving the ignition on and ruining the battery. So now the ignition gets shut off to kill the motor because I am apparently too stupid to remember to do that after using the kill.
You were probably distracted by a girl with big *****. It's happened to most of us.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Its my understanding that the kill switch is Federally mandated for motorcycles for safety reasons. I use it always first because its a habit and more convenient depending on what ride you are using. Not all bikes have the key switch easily accessible as most touring models.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

By ALWAYS using the kill switch, you develop a habit, and muscle memory.

From a SAFETY standpoint, it is better to kill the engine there, if there is ever an emergency that you need to shut the engine down fast, you won't have to take your hands off the bars or think about it.

The only drawback, and they may have fixed it by now, is if your hand has the throttle slightly turned, can cause the ECM to get confused, and begin idling higher. If you are sure to have the throttle at zero, there are no issues.

From a mechanical standpoint, you are not going to hurt anything by using the ignition switch.

mjmanna (11-29-2022)
Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by casbar
No option, on my 2014 CVO RK there is no ignition switch, only the kill switch. When the bike got delivered, the kill switch was faulty and wouldn't switch the engine off. Spent 5 weeks having to stall the bike to switch it off Took that long for a new switch to be delivered to the UK. Felt a right numpty.
That's progress for ya.

Quick Reply: Using the kill switch - mandatory?