Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the kill switch - mandatory?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Yet another embarrassing moment for Harley Riders everywhere.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Maybe they should start putting kill switches in cars...

Right there opposite my turnsignal stalk. Oh wait, that's right where the key is already--that's no good, no good at all...

Or maybe on the steering wheel next to my radio controls...

Shane

Old 04-13-2015, 10:19 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Back when I road dirt bikes there was no key switch and no batteries, just the kill switch. I liked it then and I like it now.

This Harley's cooler ok-
kill switch on-check...
key switch on-check...
wait on the radio to boot up................................................ .................................................. ..
accept............................................ ...... ..............................zzz.......
homescreen........................................ ............................................
iPhone-check...
chose play list-check...
start your engine.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
Back when I road dirt bikes there was no key switch and no batteries, just the kill switch. I liked it then and I like it now.

This Harley's cooler ok-
kill switch on-check...
key switch on-check...
wait on the radio to boot up................................................ .................................................. ..
accept............................................ ...... ..............................zzz.......
homescreen........................................ ............................................
iPhone-check...
chose play list-check...
start your engine.
Sounds like my start up routine. Except I would add to the beginning;
ensure keyfob is secured in pocket............

Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

The kill switch is there so you can walk through the lot at bike night or a rally and see who is real old school, lots of miles, lots of years riders, and who the newbies are.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,974 Likes on 4,166 Posts

I have read on the internet that there is actually a counter on the kill switch. When it times out, it actually lets the ECM and the SNAFU switch to a program that degrades all systems into an ever decreasing degeneration. As the performance falls off and the ever increasing problems arise, most usually go out and buy another new Harley. It was set up by the Obama stimulus plan. I usually never use it. I just leave it running on the street. I have also heard if you turn electricity off at the wrong end of the wire, it leave all that power in the wire. That makes the insulation fall off. Think they call that stone aches.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-14-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:23 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
The kill switch is there so you can walk through the lot at bike night or a rally and see who is real old school, lots of miles, lots of years riders, and who the newbies are.
It is a lot more fun if you turn it off for them and see who can't start their bike.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:37 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by J929626
It is a lot more fun if you turn it off for them and see who can't start their bike.

You owe me a screen cleaning..

But it does sound like fun!!

Last edited by SafetyMan; 04-14-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I usually never use it. I just leave it running on the street. I have also heard if you turn electricity off at the wrong end of the wire, it leave all that power in the wire. That makes the insulation fall off. Think they call that stone aches.
Iv learned if you let the magic smoke out of the wire it stops working no matter what end you turn off at, i would think this would be particularly true for Harley's Live wire project.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My home church in PA has a Bike Blessing every year - in fact it is this coming Sunday; when the weather is good we'll get an estimated 7500 or more bikes. They'll be parked all over town. Myself and another guy coordinate the parking & traffic teams; once we are underway I roam certain areas & make sure all is going according to plan.

I can't tell you how many bikes each year, usually Harleys, are parked with the ignition on & headlights illuminated. It's not a majority obviously, but there is usually a bunch of them. I generally shut mine down with the ignition switch.

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I have read on the internet that there is actually a counter on the kill switch. When it times out, it actually lets the ECM and the SNAFU switch to a program that degrades all systems into an ever decreasing degeneration. As the performance falls off and the ever increasing problems arise, most usually go out and buy another new Harley. It was set up by the Obama stimulus plan. I usually never use it. I just leave it running on the street. I have also heard if you turn electricity off at the wrong end of the wire, it leave all that power in the wire. That makes the insulation fall off. Think they call that stone aches.
You should start a new thread for this....

Quick Reply: Using the kill switch - mandatory?