2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what I found.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015 | 03:08 PM
Well-Adjusted Outlaw
Intermediate

Oh man, that sucks! Do people think there may be a defect in the bolt hole placement, or something like that? You'd hope that even with a loose bolt, its being there would prevent it from sliding off the shift spline. Damn.

Do people here know if most or all aftermarket levers are better than the default stock ones? I was looking at some blacked out parts, but if all harley levers have this issue, I might just go with a different brand to be safe.

Ever since I took my MSF course, I've checked my controls to see if they're loose before riding. My instructor said he had to ride 50 miles in 2nd gear (sport bike) because his shifter fell off. He drilled it into us to check every lever and hand control for loose hardware every time we ride, and it's mostly stuck with me. Wouldn't help if the controls got loose while actually riding like most of these people said, though.

Old 04-09-2015 | 04:52 PM
dabimf
Advanced

I tried to get my heal shift portion off but it is on so tight I can't get it loose. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or the factory is now putting them on so they won't come loose.

Old 04-09-2015 | 05:00 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

That's the main reason HD engineers put 2 on your bike knowing you might loose one some day.I always kept both on my bike and only once lost one lucky had another to keep me going.

Old 04-09-2015 | 08:27 PM
davemc
Cruiser

I saw a thread somewhere and the explanation one guy offered was that the gap that is cut in the lever is not big enough, so you can actually get the bolt tight, but the lever has not tightened on the shaft. That is, even when the gap closes, the hole is still too big to grab the shaft enough. The solution was to make the gap bigger so that it squeezes more when you tighten the bolt. But that might not explain why the bolts on some bikes are coming loose and falling completely out.

Old 04-10-2015 | 09:40 AM
SecondGear
Road Captain

I bought a Softbrake front lever. It's aluminum not hardened steel so it's a bit more malleable and will hold better without needing locktight.

Old 04-10-2015 | 10:33 AM
Recon4
Cruiser

Happened to me a week after I bought the '09 new. Saw it hit the freeway in my rearview mirror almost taking out a car's windshield. I always do a check and tightening before long trips, or at least I use too. I'm bikeless but working on a deal ...

Old 04-10-2015 | 10:54 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned

If something doesn't fall off your bike then your not riding a Harley.

Old 04-10-2015 | 07:17 PM
Kilokato
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
If something doesn't fall off your bike then your not riding a Harley.
If my heel shifter came off I'd be stranded....

Old 04-10-2015 | 10:40 PM
dynhd1
Road Captain

drill it, tap it , install set screw.

Old 04-12-2015 | 01:17 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Or lack there of.

I noticed that it was missing when I was a couple miles from home after a hundred mile run today. The heel shifter was there before I took off. I planned on taking it off, but not this way.
If your bike is under warranty complain, the moco will replace

Quick Reply: Look what I found.......