2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what I found.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015 | 05:33 AM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer

Wow! I have 5k miles on my RGS and LOTS of those miles are at 80mph/3k-rpm...so far all of my nuts and bolts are on my bike. All the nuts n bolts that were removed to install aftermarket goodies got a touch of loctite...including the cap screw and locknut of the PM contour brake and heel/toe shift levers. I think loctite/threadloc should be a required extra step to help mitigate loose and lost parts.

Old 04-08-2015 | 08:52 AM
srms411
Intermediate
Default Recall

This is happening too much and it apparently is do to defect or failure in craftsmanship. HD should issue a recall and be repairing them a no cost or inconvenience to owners.

Old 04-08-2015 | 09:10 AM
bzb123
Road Captain

The wife's fell off coming home from the dealer!

They gave me a free one, took it home, used a thin 4" cut off wheel and widened the space where the pinch area is.

Now, when torqued, there is still a gap, so I know it is holding.

also put blue Loctite on the bolt as well as the shaft splines.

Old 04-08-2015 | 10:41 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Take it off, adjust it if it's been bothering you, clean all the splines, install dry, use blue loctite, and install this little cap with loctite and ride. Or just tighten it up and ride and wait till it falls off.

Attached Thumbnails Look what I found.......-image.jpg  
Old 04-08-2015 | 01:55 PM
Felix 808
Tourer

Originally Posted by srms411
This is happening too much and it apparently is do to defect or failure in craftsmanship. HD should issue a recall and be repairing them a no cost or inconvenience to owners.
I agree, this is down right pathetic It would be one thing if it was just the bolt loosened up, but when people are saying that it won't clamp down far enough to tighten down that is a real problem. Mine were ok at last check, but now I'll always be wondering if on that long touring ride if It'll hold together. Not good.

Old 04-08-2015 | 02:21 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain

I had the same thing happen. Folks here said I needed to learn how to properly maintain my bike. I'm not the shaprest tool in the shed, but this wasn't my fault.

I posted picture of the stock front shift lever that show how the the threads on the retaining bolt perfectly line up with splines. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...l#post13383918

I replaced my stock front lever with a +1 Softbrake lever and skipped the rear one all together.

Old 04-08-2015 | 02:44 PM
nicliv
Cruiser

Mine fell off on the way home from my 1,000 service. Called dealer, after a couple minutes told them I would not be returning. Took all there stuff including t-shirts and gave them to the sales guy. Suggested he go slap the service manager in the head and left.

Old 04-08-2015 | 03:37 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by srms411
I normally don't use the word Bikers, (what is a Biker) but if you ride a motorcycle (very much at all) you know that chit can happen.
Bikers understand this and know with all the unforeseen chit that can happen, to at least take care of the small things that is an easy fix. Bikers are survivors, doing things they need to and liking it, getting to know there bikes, no winning on a public forum about the pettiest stuff.
Apparently Cyclist may be a better term for some. Most have had this problem, it is nothing new. If your a forum winner please fell free to be offended.

Old 04-08-2015 | 06:59 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Default Yea

I like mine , really just discovered using it of late...I'm going to check mine for secure fit.

Hap

Old 04-08-2015 | 08:05 PM
CQ-HarleyRider
Advanced

I lost my rear shifter on a ride with the local HOG chapter, we pulled up for a break and one of the guys said he thought something came off my bike while he was following me.

When we checked it out the rear shifter was gone.

Quick Reply: Look what I found.......