2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought This Should Not Happen

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015 | 09:22 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior

Adjusting the levers and adding blue LocTite was the first thing I did when I got it home the day I bought it. It was mostly for comfort, but with some added security. No issues yet. I like to give everything a quick once over when I clean it or check tire pressures. Maybe overkill to some, but it only takes a little longer. To me it's free insurance and a little piece of mind, especially when on a road trip. My buddy used to bust my chops all of the time, until his RK lost a bag on the freeway...

Old 04-04-2015 | 09:57 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

Had that issue on my 07 UC but after couple times shop replaced all the components except the shifter pegs under warranty can't tighten those things too many times.

Old 04-04-2015 | 12:03 PM
FinalShot
|
Road Warrior

Thanks for the feedback guys. The problem is not that the screw was loose. As another user said, the gap between the clamp isn't big enough.

The thing I found interesting though is that with the bolt installed, the shifter should not be able to be pulled off. The way that pin and groove is set up, you should have to remove the bolt entirely.

Old 04-04-2015 | 12:12 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Thanks for the feedback guys. The problem is not that the screw was loose. As another user said, the gap between the clamp isn't big enough.

The thing I found interesting though is that with the bolt installed, the shifter should not be able to be pulled off. The way that pin and groove is set up, you should have to remove the bolt entirely.
Exactly. I would have the Moco replace the whole enchilada.

Old 04-22-2015 | 04:52 PM
FinalShot
|
Road Warrior

Last week, I took the bike in and HD replaced the shifter shaft and ordered the primary case to be changed when it arrives. I dropped the ride off this morning and got a call a few minutes ago saying the bike was ready. Here's what they did:

1. Replaced the primary case due to cosmetic damage from the shifter
2. Replaced the ignition lock because the cover didn't close tight
3. Tightened the steering head back to specs as it was loose
4. Ordered new foot board because the trim has a crack
5. Ordered new ignition lock sticker as tech damaged it while removing the ignition
6. Changed the tour pack latch assembly because you could see gold showing through the chrome in the right light
7. Replaced rear tire due to nail under the tire plan. Just over 13K on the stock dunlop and had 3/32 tread left.
8. Said they fixed my AVC issue but I doubt that but hopeful

Old 04-22-2015 | 09:38 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Last week, I took the bike in and HD replaced the shifter shaft and ordered the primary case to be changed when it arrives. I dropped the ride off this morning and got a call a few minutes ago saying the bike was ready. Here's what they did:

1. Replaced the primary case due to cosmetic damage from the shifter
2. Replaced the ignition lock because the cover didn't close tight
3. Tightened the steering head back to specs as it was loose
4. Ordered new foot board because the trim has a crack
5. Ordered new ignition lock sticker as tech damaged it while removing the ignition
6. Changed the tour pack latch assembly because you could see gold showing through the chrome in the right light
7. Replaced rear tire due to nail under the tire plan. Just over 13K on the stock dunlop and had 3/32 tread left.
8. Said they fixed my AVC issue but I doubt that but hopeful
You couldn't wait till they had the free food on Saturday ?

Old 04-22-2015 | 09:55 PM
FinalShot
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
You couldn't wait till they had the free food on Saturday ?
Nope... I'll be there Friday night though for the free food and bike night.

No go on the AVC. the tech said "I reloaded the software, took the bike for the final checkout ride and AVC started working for me after I turned it up a bar. It seemed to continue to work while on the checkout. I pulled over and power cycled the bike for a few seconds and it still worked." I asked him if he let 15-30 seconds pass before he started again and he said "the ticket just says power cycle" and I said, ya, kind of like when you park it for gas or for the night.

He'll be back at it when I go back for my floor board.

Old 04-23-2015 | 10:14 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

I just did a thread on the exact issue a week ago. Who ever Harley had make the splined shafts for the shift rod musta screwed up. It's the SHAFT. Mine fell off my '15 Road King last week with the screw still tightened on it when I found it. Seems the shaft splines are too narrow on a batch of these. I took the shifter to my dealer who had one manufactured 11/14 and it fit on there fine with the bolt on the groove. The one that came on my Road King, you could pull the shifter off the shaft even with the bolt tight.

Old 04-23-2015 | 05:03 PM
prostar
Club Member

The manager at Fort Worth is a great person and a hell of a rider

Old 08-02-2015 | 02:22 PM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member

i gotta go check mine out now

Quick Reply: Thought This Should Not Happen