Sponsored by:

Electronic throttle twist grip sensor extension / heated grips

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:11 PM
DonCMcC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic throttle twist grip sensor extension / heated grips

ok so I thought I got what I needed to put these 14" bars on the bike. I picked up a switch wire extension kit which takes care of the switches (turn signals, etc) but not the throttle or heated grips.

Before I hit the local dealer in the morning might anyone have the part numbers or know what I'm talking about before I walk in there in the morning?

I need wire harness extensions for twist throttle and heated grips wiring that run through the handlebars

Thanks

Old 04-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you rush out and buy something.........try the stock TBW. It is plenty long enough. If the bars have crazy bends then it would be easier to get the SETBW as it does not have the green plug.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Find the thread "apes/TBW issues" I think it was called. I listed the parts you need for the SE tbw swap over to 14-up bikes. You need to repin the wires and swap the plug over from male to female or visa versa. And you get rid of the green plug as mentioned above. My bars have some nasty bends so that green plug was screwing me over. I did extend the black and white wires tho, I believe for the heated grip, as even the SE TBW wiring for that wasn't long enough to run the whole length of my 16's.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:19 PM
DonCMcC
Advanced

Originally Posted by sixshooter
Find the thread "apes/TBW issues" I think it was called. I listed the parts you need for the SE tbw swap over to 14-up bikes. You need to repin the wires and swap the plug over from male to female or visa versa. And you get rid of the green plug as mentioned above. My bars have some nasty bends so that green plug was screwing me over. I did extend the black and white wires tho, I believe for the heated grip, as even the SE TBW wiring for that wasn't long enough to run the whole length of my 16's.
Thanks. Tracked down the thread and pulled the part numbers. I'm guessing these parts have nothing to do with the heated grips wiring ?

Thanks
Don

Old 04-03-2015, 08:39 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't say for sure if the CVO tbw has the element in it and just needs the black and white wires plugged in or what. I've never messed with or even researched how they hook up. I'm sure someone will chime in. There are tons of threads on here about apes and wiring to peruse through.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Heated grip extension might be needed but probably not the TGS/TBW extension.

The heated grip extensions, however, are nothing more than wires with a bunch of splice connectors. You don't need to buy em; just make your own. I needed them on my 14" KST mayhems. The TGS was fine, the heated grips needed to be extended, though. It's easy to extend those.

Oh, and the CVO TGS does have the element already extended the length of the entire unit. Damned handy. Why they didn't use the CVO TGS on every model is beyond me...

Last edited by Onedef1; 04-03-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:00 AM
DonCMcC
Advanced

Thank you all for the help and advice. The plan it to splice the heated grips wiring to extend them. The twist grip throttle, well I'm going to see if it's long enough and if not then I'll buy the SE TBW and go from there.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:53 PM
DonCMcC
Advanced

Ok so here they are. I went to my local dealer and got some great advice and suggestions and that's what I did. Went out and bought a solder gun, some 18 gauge wire, and some shrink wrap. The twist grip sensor and the heated hand grips had to be extended, the switch housing units were extended by purchasing the extension kit from harley ($30), the clutch and brake had just enough for the 14" bars but I wouldn't push it any higher. We spliced, soldered, then shrink wrapped the heated grips and TGS by about 6" just to give it some extra room.

The handlebars are Khrome Werks 14" Bagger Apes and they are exactly what I've wanted.