Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner results not debate on best.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tuner results not debate on best.

I read on here awhile back and it is stuck in my head. Reading about engine oil and which brand would add to the engine longevity. A guy piped in that a tuner will add the most longevity and clean oil isn't that big of a deal. So this is my question.

I have 2014 trike. Trying to decide if I need a PV tuner to go with K&N and Rineharts as only mods? It seems to run great now but How do I really know if Engine is at it's happiest ? What will I notice with addition of PV or is it all for the good of the engine health and not really something you would hear, notice, or feel after the installation of Power Vision. I just want an easy install and I guess auto tune and I'm done! Not looking for Highly specialized tune just want the engine happiest with just these simple mods.
Thanks for all your inputs they are valuable as a reference.

Hap

Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
I read on here awhile back and it is stuck in my head. Reading about engine oil and which brand would add to the engine longevity. A guy piped in that a tuner will add the most longevity and clean oil isn't that big of a deal. So this is my question.

I have 2014 trike. Trying to decide if I need a PV tuner to go with K&N and Rineharts as only mods? It seems to run great now but How do I really know if Engine is at it's happiest ? What will I notice with addition of PV or is it all for the good of the engine health and not really something you would hear, notice, or feel after the installation of Power Vision. I just want an easy install and I guess auto tune and I'm done! Not looking for Highly specialized tune just want the engine happiest with just these simple mods.
Thanks for all your inputs they are valuable as a reference.

Hap
You should have noticeable results with the addition of a PV. The engine should run smoother and make more power with a proper tune. It should help a bit with heat too.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:45 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I read your post right. You already put the exhaust and air cleaner upgrade on your bike. You really need a tuner. You took a stock lean set up to a super lean set up. You have way more air then fuel. You should really get the tuner on before you ride it at this point.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:34 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Default Yea

I have air cleaner but haven't installed it yet. I also have xieds so I'm ok I think but want to make it right

Old 03-28-2015, 06:43 PM
DocKile
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where's Safetyman's post when we need it?

Old 03-28-2015, 06:56 PM
DocKile
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
Wink

The tuner will help you achieve your goals. While I agree a tuner is necessary to make the engine happy, clean oil is also an absolute necessity...
Now I'm not a "change it every 1k" freak, but the regularly scheduled 5k intervals with QUALITY fluids is important.

As far as xieds, I admittedly know very little about them. I do know they fool your ECM into providing more fuel. That's not a tune.

Originally Posted by DocKile
Where's Safetyman's post when we need it?
In my best Mighty Mouse.... HERE I come to save the DAY!!!

If I've posted it once, I bet I've posted it 43 times...

The FIRST thing a man should do when considering making changes is GET A TUNER. It will help a stock bike, and when you change pipes and or air cleaner, you're ready for it.

Can you run without a tuner? Yes.

Will you blow your engine up running without a tuner? Probably not.

Can you expect to get 50,000 miles out of your engine without a tuner? Most likely.

Will it run correctly without a tuner? No.

Dealers and their parts and service departments are a business, in business to sell motorcycles, and motorcycle parts and accessories. They tell you that you can get away without a tuner, because a LOT of guys won't come off the jack for a tuner, and they're afraid they'll lose sales if they tell you to get a tuner.

Changing the air flow without changing the VE tables is not beneficial. These bikes run lean from the factory, adding a more free flowing exhaust makes them run more lean.

Do what you want, I won't criticize, just trying to offer things to think about.

...but there is a reason I won't buy a used bike as my primary ride...

Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

/end thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:41 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Default Thanks to all

Thanks for your inputs

I get it
Let this thread die off
I found lots of others from the past I have been reading.

Hap

Old 03-30-2015, 08:00 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
The FIRST thing a man should do when considering making changes is GET A TUNER. It will help a stock bike, and when you change pipes and or air cleaner, you're ready for it.
What tuner do you use? I have been considering the Fuel Moto PV but I'm not interested in having the screen mounted. Do you know if it can be run and then stashed away? I also see the FP3 is a unit that is mounted behind the side panel but is adjusted via a smartphone app. Since my smartphone is/will be mounted on my dash/handlebars it would be easy to interact with that.

Thoughts on choices?

Quick Reply: Tuner results not debate on best.