Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO Mufflers on a Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I got a set of the CVO from a buddy that change his out. They sounded much better than the stock exhaust on my 10 ultra classic, but, I wanted more. I ordered up a set of the 1.75 in cores from full sac and got a pack of packing material from Cycle Gear, and I have never though about changing them. High flow air filter, gutted the cat, thundermax tuner and life is good for 50,000 miles.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:56 PM
HIOCTANE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did about 80 miles today.love the sound a deeper rumble. .perfect for now.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:09 AM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Finally installed my new mufflers. I took a short ride tonight and really like the sound.

a few pics. Here's stock - and excuse the dirt, spring riding in western pa is dirty.

One on and really digging the look.

And both installed.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:37 AM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KMC1
So today I installed the Fuel Moto Billet AC, the ceramic coated header, and the CVO Mufflers I picked up used from a gent who upgraded to VH Monster Duals (I think)... First of all, while I'm thinking about it, here's a few tips for anyone considering this... It's a lot of work if you don't have a lift to get the bike up... I'm actually kind of sore tonight.

1st: just go ahead and get a couple extra gaskets to have on hand ahead of time..lol I muffed the crossover gasket really bad and had to get a new one... That pipe fought me like it had a will of its own... And yes.... I know to hold it down and rotate it up... It was tough to get the clearance with the bike on its jiffy stand.

2: have a decent torque wrench on hand that you get set at 99 inlb.

3: get a decent set of snap ring pliers if you don't have some.... That guy on the fuel Moto video must have a hell of a grip to not need the pliers to put those damn things back on!

4: the front nut for the exhaust flange can be reached from the side if you use a long extension and a U-Joint adapter. I learned this after going around to the front 10 times like an idiot....

5: here's some good info... The bolt through the exhaust hanger at the transmission area Does NOT need to be removed, only loosened... Yes... I am an idiot for not knowing that I could have just loosened it and been done in like 5 minutes.... Thankfully the dealer had one (1) in stock! (Cause I totally destroyed it... Tis soft aluminum and doesn't take kindly to being used much - take heed)

6: someone earlier in this thread mentioned they used a pipe expander to help the mufflers go on easier - that was a really, really, good idea! Thanks for mentioning that and thankfully I have a Harbor Freight not too far away that had one. (1.75" Dia. ID on those pipe FYI)

7: the plastic plug for the ECM Diagnostic port just slides forwards - don't pull it straight out or you'll let loose a stream of obscenities your navy veteran neighbor will be impressed by.

So, now to the good stuff.... The "new" set up.... First off, the weight difference between the stock exhaust with the cat in it vs the FM header is pretty dramatic.... The look of the CVO mufflers is just sooooo much nicer than the stock ones... I was actually surprised how much better it looks. As for the sound... WOW does it sound nicer! Damn.... I'm loving it so far. *dislcaimer; I've only been able to heat cycle the exhaust once in the garage so far, so I haven't been able to take it for a ride to see how it all has come together.... I'll post up a quick review of how the bike actually runs when I get it out on the road. So far it's a fairly dramatic improvement.... But it was a fair bit of work, so make sure you have plenty of beer on hand when you start this!
So here's an update now that I'm pretty dialed in (I think )
I installed the PM Billet A/C, the FM 2-1-2 Ceramic Coated Header, CVO Take off Mufflers and used the FM PV2 For the tuning. I started with the "Stock, Improved" map because there isn't one specifically for this setup using the CVO Mufflers as far as I know. The bike ran really great using this set up for the most part, except for a couple minor things:
1: the compensator was making some noise it didn't make before.
2: starting off the line from stop lights or whatnot, the bike would want to bog and I was having some trouble getting the clutch engagement to happen smoothly.
3: the heat coming off the exhaust / rear cylinder was reduced a great deal from stock, but still seemed more than I expected.

I decided to run some auto-tuning cycles to see if I could refine the tune, so I started with the stock improved map and on my first ride I started off on a cool evening and rode a mixed route with city, highway, secondary roads, I then saved that map. I don't remember what the values are right now, but the correction was -2% & -1.4% and the bike was already running a lot better, but still not quite dialed in. The next day I started the auto tune cycle using the once-refined map in my garage with a dead cold engine on a 90 degree day, and did a larger route (~75 miles) mixed route through the city, onto the highway, up a mountain pass at around 10k' elevation, onto a very tight mountain road, and on some amazing secondary roads. The correction factors after this ride were -2% & -1.5%.

I also increased the idle RPM to 1050, which really improved the sounds from the compensator.

I have to tell you, it is amazing how nice my bike is running now. The compensator noise is mostly gone, starting from a stop is much improved, clutch action has improved, the heat reduction from the "stock improved" map is noticeable - and the heat reduction from stock is drastic.

The db from the CVO mufflers is nice around town, and on the road - but going up a mountain pass or accelerating hard they are too loud for my tastes... Funny story, I think it's too loud, but then went to the HD dealer up the street for an MS event, and realized it's actually really quiet compared to what a lot of people are running! Lol... So it actually is pretty quiet I guess.... But I wish it weren't so throaty when on the throttle hard.

I ran 2 tanks of premium through it since I got the tune tweaked in, running up mountain passes, highway, city, secondary roads, etc. and I'm getting 45mpg too, which is astounding mileage for me as I am heavy and ride pretty fast. And don't forget the speed limits out west are 80 in a lot of places, and 65 on most of the back roads. It'll run up to 100mph in no time getting on the highway, and truthfully around town I've really gotta be careful - it takes seconds to hit 60mph without even trying.

I'm really happy with these changes, the heat reduction was my number one goal, and that is achieved - but the increased performance and throttle response is awesome. Money well spent. I'm loving this bike! And thank you FM for putting so much work into making such high quality, user friendly products!

Last edited by KMC1; 06-07-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have the exact same set up as you and experienced the same results with the original setup that came from Fuel Moto. Been real happy after a few autotunes and wound up with 15.0 [whatever that means] but I like it hands down over the first tune.
The other day for fun I flashed the original tune from FM and it was like I pulled a plug wire. The power was lame and acceleration was poor. Flashed the 15.0 back and it was like a rocketship! Very happy but surely not getting 45mpg. Don't know if you are running a full touring bike but they do have more air drag.
I stress this to anyone who brags big mileage, have you run a separate GPS and compared it to your speedo? I have found that about every 1 to 1.2 mph you are fast you just lost 1 mpg. I'm lucky for the most part to now get 40mpg.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:27 PM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Oooops! Forgot to mention that; I'm on a '14 Limited. I'm really surprised by the mpg too - on my KTM I'm lucky to hit 40 riding it like a granny.... So the 45 on the Limited it astounding to me. I am not comparing it to GPS readings, just using the ODO Trip meters. I am at higher altitude than you so that could be part of it, but I am going up and down mountains so I would think the mileage going up is probably like 10mpg or something... On my last tank the reserve light came on at 230 miles and I put in about 5.125 gallons in and that was with some fairly aggressive riding mixed in with city and highway Miles. To say I am pleased is an understatement.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:42 AM
MudmanMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my CVO slip ons. I have 2 sets one set from a 15 ultra CVO and one set from the Streetglide CVO. Total investment is 100.00. Guess I can't complain. I think The set from the Streetglide is going to be powder coated on the tips. Haven't decided yet.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:59 AM
cmtaylor
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Kevinch
Guys - don't the CVO mufflers have the CATs inside them? I thought I read somewhere they did; maybe I'm wrong??
Yes I believe they do contain the CAT but only up to a certain year... I'm thinking maybe '09 or '10 may have been when they changed??? I'm fairly certain that at least back as far as the 2011 model year and newer the CAT is in the header pipe...

Old 06-09-2015, 05:27 AM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cmtaylor
Yes I believe they do contain the CAT but only up to a certain year... I'm thinking maybe '09 or '10 may have been when they changed??? I'm fairly certain that at least back as far as the 2011 model year and newer the CAT is in the header pipe...

Correct. I think it was 10 had the cat in the muffler and I don't think the 09 had one at all. I know my 11 had the cat in the head pipe until it got changed out.