Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics or Focal (Deadhorse I Know)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:53 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Biketronics or Focal (Deadhorse I Know)

Hello first off, I know this has been asked a hundred different ways. Bike is a 2015 Street Glide Special.

I'm ordering my audio setup Monday getting the bike ready for my first trip of the season. I am only running the 2 fairing speakers and like loud, clear undistorted sound. I'm not the type to blast my music at a red light but will crank it up on the interstate. I'm going with either the Biketronics Pro line speakers and amp or the focal setup from Soundz Customz. Either systems will be roughly 1k on price. I would love to not have to get the dealer flash but I think for (best sound) I have to do this. I know for that price a better system could be pieced together but I prefer a plug and play setup from 1 company.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

http://soundzcustomz.com/

http://www.biketronics.com/2014-bt7p...0-amp-upgrade/

Old 03-21-2015, 08:06 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should check out the audio section of this forum. I asked this same question very recently here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-take-two.html

While both systems seem to have excellent reviews, I'm going to wait for a few weeks as the latest radio update seems to have messed up things for aftermarket installs. Personally, I'm leaning towards Biketronics as their stuff comes with the lifetime warranty.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:57 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
You should check out the audio section of this forum. I asked this same question very recently here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-take-two.html

While both systems seem to have excellent reviews, I'm going to wait for a few weeks as the latest radio update seems to have messed up things for aftermarket installs. Personally, I'm leaning towards Biketronics as their stuff comes with the lifetime warranty.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the latest update messing with aftermarket systems. That kinda scares me. What if you get it flashed for a amp and the update changes it back?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:53 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master

Originally Posted by lhgdale
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the latest update messing with aftermarket systems. That kinda scares me. What if you get it flashed for a amp and the update changes it back?
I don't think that is the problem. I believe the issue has more to do with Harley messing with the actual eq settings and power output from the head unit with their flash updates. When I talked to Biketronics the other day, they stated flash settings that used to give great results are now iffy depending on whether bikes had been updated or not. I guess that means that amps 1 & 2 off and 8 speakers doesn't sound like it used to. Some guys have lost the ability to adjust treble and bass, and others don't have a fader. Personally, I'm not too worried about the fader.....the others I wouldn't want to live without.

Supposedly another update is coming soon.....maybe to address some of the Boom Stage II issues Harley has seen. With any luck, things will settle back to normal after that.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:09 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
I don't think that is the problem. I believe the issue has more to do with Harley messing with the actual eq settings and power output from the head unit with their flash updates. When I talked to Biketronics the other day, they stated flash settings that used to give great results are now iffy depending on whether bikes had been updated or not. I guess that means that amps 1 & 2 off and 8 speakers doesn't sound like it used to. Some guys have lost the ability to adjust treble and bass, and others don't have a fader. Personally, I'm not too worried about the fader.....the others I wouldn't want to live without.

Supposedly another update is coming soon.....maybe to address some of the Boom Stage II issues Harley has seen. With any luck, things will settle back to normal after that.

Thanks again for the info, I will call Biketronics again on Monday. The guy I have spoken a few times was super nice and knowledgeable.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:25 AM
rvdoc
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Pete at Soundz install the stage IV on my '14 SGS. It is plug and play. The sound? Amazing. Clear all the way to the top. My daughter's 20 year old boyfriend's reply- That is f@&*ing ridiculous!!

Old 03-22-2015, 01:08 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rvdoc
I had Pete at Soundz install the stage IV on my '14 SGS. It is plug and play. The sound? Amazing. Clear all the way to the top. My daughter's 20 year old boyfriend's reply- That is f@&*ing ridiculous!!
Thanks, did you get the dealer flash or magic box?

Old 03-22-2015, 03:51 PM
rvdoc
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had it flashed. $57.00 at my local dealer.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:34 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master

Originally Posted by rvdoc
Had it flashed. $57.00 at my local dealer.
Do you have fader, bass, or treble? Do you know what was selected with your flash?

How do you like the Focal speakers in the fairing speaker pods? Do they seem to be air starved at all? I like the looks of Pete's Level IV package, but I'm concerned the pods are the weak link with REALLY good speakers that have a lot of power behind them.