Sponsored by:

Review of Ohlins #2 on FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:15 PM
surfnorthwest
Banned
Received 28,952 Likes on 9,573 Posts
Default Review of Ohlins #2 Rear Shocks on FLHTK

As promised here is my review and thoughts after installing and riding on the shocks for a few miles.

Purchased these shocks from Howard at Motorcyclemetal.These were the #2 Ohlin shocks and they were $629 to my door.

Ride - Immediate improvement noticed. Gone was the stiff ridged handling of the bike. The ride quality is noticeably improved as is the handling. Biggest difference so far is the control and feel into and out of tight corners. You can definitely push the bike harder with these shocks. The ride comfort is also very noticeable and a very welcomed change over the stock air shocks. I'm impressed.

Ordering - Filling out the order form was straight forward, my bike, weight, percent riding two up, gear weight ect. Once filled out and submitted Howard was quick to respond with an invoice to prepay. I was not expecting the discount he gave me but it was welcomed. Shocks were built and sent out within a week.

Install - I am no mechanic but can get by on simple things. I found the shocks simple enough to install and and the fit and finish were top shelf. I stayed with the standard height.

Howard - When researching shocks for my 2014 Ultra Limited it was pretty clear that Ohlins were the right choice for me. In some of the reviews I read there were a few that basically painted Howard as sort of an A-hole but in the end he is providing a great product. I like to make my own opinion of people so those posts did not sway me enough not to order.

Thought Howard was quick to answer my email, and the first time I called him just before I installed the shocks he answered the phone.

My question to him was about setting the shocks up as I was unclear about a couple of things. Howard got pretty short with me asking... well did you read what I sent you.... what is it you don't understand.... I listed everything step by step to do. The guy should just answer the question instead of making someone feel like a dumbass. A simple answer would have been better and taken less time from both of us. My guess is he is a busy guy and gets tired of rehashing answers he believes were addressed in the PDF instructions that are emailed to you. His business but I was turned off by that.

So would I recommend these shocks from Motocyclemetal? For the price and quality absolutely. They actually needed very little tweaking out of the box so Howard did a great job there. I can confirm the guy can get a little short with folks. I was able to get help with my install question from my dealership so all is good.

Here is a pic of the shocks installed

Attached Thumbnails Review of Ohlins #2 on FLHTK-20150320_102633_resized.jpg  

Last edited by surfnorthwest; 03-20-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:56 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,048 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Thanks for the review. It sounds like you got what you wanted and Howard has a reputation for providing exactly that.

I have spoken with Howard and I would describe him as direct, which was just fine with me.

I've been on the fence on this, but I think a call to Howard is in order.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:56 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I bet Id get along with Howard real well then cause i'm always considered a ******* or other worse words at times. Glad you got them worked out. Im thinking of getting a set myself. Just gotta get the coin together mostly.

Batman

Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Reply to Richard/surfnorthwest

I answer many phone calls such as yours throughout the week. I can not remember which conversation was yours. When people ask install questions I always ask if they read my own installation instructions. This is the exact copy of the e-Mail I sent you on the 9th of this month. This is exactly what Richard received.
-----------------------------------------
3.9.15 Tracking Number: ~Deleted~ Service: UPS Ground Service Guaranteed By: End of Day Monday, Mar 16, 2015 <<<

Invoice w/tracking #

Please read these included install instructions and ignore the ones in the box. Please buy the tools needed. Problems or having trouble, please call me any reasonable hour 7 days a week E.S.T. I want you to have no drama in getting a good ride.

Thank You, Howard G. Messner
Phone #: 1-954-848-1525 ~Contact via e-Mail~
http://motorcyclemetal.com/
----------------------------------------
The reason why I post this is because if someone asks me this type of question, I ask myself if he read my instructions and not the ones in the box. My instructions come with a step by step pictorial of Amy pointing to each task along with a numbered paragraph. If every task is not done properly than damage can & will occur. I have no idea what Richard did or did not read because of the time lag, but I do know two customers (this week alone) said they did not remember getting their (sent by e-Mail) instructions, I keep all e-Mails and send them a new copy of the instructions as well as a copy(forward) of the sent e-Mail.

If Richard did not read my instructions (I have no idea if he did or did not) the going over of said instructions will point out any problems or issues/steps that any customer will/could experience in the future. Just follow the pictures, if Richard had questions after that than he was most certainly welcome to call me back, 7 days a week. The reason why I did photographs is because they are way easier to understand and address issues more completely than the instructions in the box. I am sure I answer all calls if they show up on caller ID and do not take days off including Richards.

"My question to him was about setting the shocks up as I was unclear about a couple of things. Howard got pretty short with me asking... well did you read what I sent you.... what is it you don't understand.... I listed everything step by step to do. The guy should just answer the question instead of making someone feel like a dumbass. A simple answer would have been better and taken less time from both of us. My guess is he is a busy guy and gets tired of rehashing answers he believes were addressed in the PDF instructions that are emailed to you. His business but I was turned off by that."

I care about my customers not getting damage to their shocks further down the line. That is why I do what I do. If you Richard had any other questions that the PDF did not address than just say so and insist on an answer.

>>> The guy should just answer the question instead of making someone feel like a dumbass.

<<< If you felt like a dumbass than that is on you. If I did not answer your specific question than you should have spoke up right than and there. There are no dumbass questions, all you had to do is stop me by saying hold on and ask the question(s) if the PDF does not supply all of the answers. I am very happy that your shocks perform like they are are up to your specifications & explications or did not understand them. I get many, many questions all day, every day a week, yes all 7 of them. Answering a question is why I answer the phone, it is up to you to get the information you want by asking a pointed question, my feelings do not get hurt in the slightest if I missed giving the right answer to your exact information you require. Speak up and just say hold on here which does wonders.

Last edited by FastHarley; 03-21-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 03-21-2015, 09:43 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

I wouldn't take the OP's comments as anything more than constructive criticism (from his perspective) Howard. Overall I think it was a positive review and he got a great product, at a great price, from someone we all know is the go to guy for suspension.

Fwiw, he motivated me to give you a call to get my SGS smoothed out. Last time we spoke it was regarding an Ultra which I ended up selling before moving on to the suspension. An early spring ride also reminded me that the so called Premium hand adjustable shocks are anything but premium.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:04 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Long story short - I would never deal with Howard again, I think his reply and demeanor shows his Narcissistic personality disorder .....

Last edited by JMC22; 03-21-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:13 AM
surfnorthwest
Banned
Received 28,952 Likes on 9,573 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley

>>> The guy should just answer the question instead of making someone feel like a dumbass.

<<< If you felt like a dumbass than that is on you. If I did not answer your specific question than you should have spoke up right than and there. There are no dumbass questions, all you had to do is stop me by saying hold on and ask the question(s) if the PDF does not supply all of the answers. I am very happy that your shocks perform like they are are up to your specifications & explications or did not understand them. I get many, many questions all day, every day a week, yes all 7 of them. Answering a question is why I answer the phone, it is up to you to get the information you want by asking a pointed question, my feelings do not get hurt in the slightest if I missed giving the right answer to your exact information you require. Speak up and just say hold on here which does wonders.
First thank you for providing the tracking information on a public forum that points to my personal residence.

I guess I should have said "hey STFU Howard and pay attention" how would have that played Howard.

I don't know you so I treat strangers with respect, but you talk over people. The issue wasn't that important for to me to argue, I have other competent mechanics at my disposal.

I didn't want to get into details but since you say "it's on me" I will respond to it. FWIW I called 3/19/15 1:30PST

You didn't allow me to even finish the reason for the call before you started down your "did you read the instructions" little condescending there chief. Yes I read them, and told you I read them. If you had done a better job "listening" it wasn't so much a question as it was I needed clarification, that's all.

Your response here is telling. It took me less than 3 minutes to decide to get my support elsewhere. I stand by my review, great shocks, price, but questionable support. Had you taken the time on the phone you just did to write your post we would have been all good.

Last edited by surfnorthwest; 03-21-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:02 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't stand antiquated policies, processes and technologies. Like Motorcycle Metal's ordering process. The entire build form should be via editable field online form. Submitted electronically and paid via CC or credit card online at time of submission. There shouldn't need to be any emailing or telephone conversation required.

After 2 email build sheet submissions (and a telephone call verification) that "got lost" due to email "server problems", I just decided to order Ohlins shocks elsewhere.

Are they less in quality to Howard's Ohlins? Maybe, but they seem great to me, are much better than the Progressives I've owned before and light years better than stock air shocks.

Sure, the web site is serviceable and can be managed, but as far as income generating web sites go, it is a representation of an average early 1990s era web site.

Obviously, a excellent mechanic does not a sound businessman make.

I guarantee his business would double or even triple with a professional and proper functioning web site with even less custom service interactions for him = less sales for him to sabotage.

Some free advice from someone who has built several multimillion dollar businesses... Leave the business and customer service to an expert. Focus your efforts to building the best shocks money can buy. Then sit back and count your money.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:51 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by surfnorthwest
First thank you for providing the tracking information on a public forum that points to my personal residence.
I would PM Howard to edit that out or contact a mod to have it removed.

Originally Posted by dgdamore
I can't stand antiquated policies, processes and technologies. Like Motorcycle Metal's ordering process. The entire build form should be via editable field online form. Submitted electronically and paid via CC or credit card online at time of submission. There shouldn't need to be any emailing or telephone conversation required.

I guarantee his business would double or even triple with a professional and proper functioning web site with even less custom service interactions for him = less sales for him to sabotage.

Some free advice from someone who has built several multimillion dollar businesses... Leave the business and customer service to an expert. Focus your efforts to building the best shocks money can buy. Then sit back and count your money.
While this does sound like a slam, it's actually very good, insightful, advice to anyone in business. I, myself, have taken on help streamlining my business as described above. It's been great. More business, more money (not millions mind you) less hassle. It allows me to do what I do best.

Conversely, I see guys like Howard as very focused individuals who don't feel the need to be encumbered with salesmanship (not to be confused with customer service) or marketing technology. (Howard is free to correct me if I'm wrong - it's just a guess) Their work and products speak for them. And they have carved out a nice situation for themselves that they are comfortable with. Not everyone wants to grow bigger than they are.

And contrary to what has been said, I've experienced nothing but great customer service from Howard by email and phone. He put up with many confused emails from me inquiring about the Ohlins fork cartridges among other things. He was willing to go out of his way in Daytona to hook me up with shocks at his hotel. There was a lack of communication entirely on my end (the perils of traveling) that prevented that from happening, so my bad.

As someone who has been involved in motorsports for years, I have found my best resources have been much like Howard. In some cases, they make Howard seem like a Teddy Bear. I had one guy who was a Porsche version of the Soup ****. But no one could adjust a 70s era mechanical fuel injection system like he could. I just dropped my Triumph Bonneville off at another like minded individuals barn for some work. He was direct and to the point. No fluff. And yeah, I do a lot of my own work, but it's nice to have a truly gifted person make it all that it can be.

In the end, I don't need a moist towlette and a back massage from my motorsport resources. I want the best knowledge on the given topic from someone who knows exactly what they're talking about. And to be honest, if it's laid on too thick, I question their abilities sometimes because a craftsman doesn't need to do that.

I'm not saying the OP was wrong. That's between him and Howard. But I do feel guys like Howard are often misunderstood.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:11 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by surfnorthwest
As promised here is my review and thoughts after installing and riding on the shocks for a few miles. Purchased these shocks from Howard at Motorcyclemetal.These were the #2 Ohlin shocks and they were $629 to my door. Ride - Immediate improvement noticed. Gone was the stiff ridged handling of the bike. The ride quality is noticeably improved as is the handling. Biggest difference so far is the control and feel into and out of tight corners. You can definitely push the bike harder with these shocks. The ride comfort is also very noticeable and a very welcomed change over the stock air shocks. I'm impressed. Ordering - Filling out the order form was straight forward, my bike, weight, percent riding two up, gear weight ect. Once filled out and submitted Howard was quick to respond with an invoice to prepay. I was not expecting the discount he gave me but it was welcomed. Shocks were built and sent out within a week. Install - I am no mechanic but can get by on simple things. I found the shocks simple enough to install and and the fit and finish were top shelf. I stayed with the standard height. Howard - When researching shocks for my 2014 Ultra Limited it was pretty clear that Ohlins were the right choice for me. In some of the reviews I read there were a few that basically painted Howard as sort of an A-hole but in the end he is providing a great product. I like to make my own opinion of people so those posts did not sway me enough not to order. Thought Howard was quick to answer my email, and the first time I called him just before I installed the shocks he answered the phone. My question to him was about setting the shocks up as I was unclear about a couple of things. Howard got pretty short with me asking... well did you read what I sent you.... what is it you don't understand.... I listed everything step by step to do. The guy should just answer the question instead of making someone feel like a dumbass. A simple answer would have been better and taken less time from both of us. My guess is he is a busy guy and gets tired of rehashing answers he believes were addressed in the PDF instructions that are emailed to you. His business but I was turned off by that. So would I recommend these shocks from Motocyclemetal? For the price and quality absolutely. They actually needed very little tweaking out of the box so Howard did a great job there. I can confirm the guy can get a little short with folks. I was able to get help with my install question from my dealership so all is good. Here is a pic of the shocks installed
Just curious. How much do you weigh? Is your experience with the new Ohlins shocks riding one or two up? If two up what does your passenger weigh? Loaded with luggage or not?

I personally find these factors to be critical in evaluating a review's application to my situation. Thanks.

P.S. I felt your review of Ohlins and the vendor to be positive and constructive. The vendor's response was bizarre. I'd consider Ohlins but probably not from that particular vendor. I don't need drama when purchasing motorcycle parts. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: Review of Ohlins #2 on FLHTK